Breathing

ares

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What do you feel is the best way to control your breathing. I try to meditate to help, but I can still only control it for only 5 min or so when I'm being attacked by multiple attackers or in a gruling grappling session. My next belt test is going to be 2 hours long and I'm worried that I'll run out of steam long before that. The last test was just over 1 hour and I was so fatigued that during my sparring portion, I couldn't keep my hands up and got my eye socket broke. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting too old to recover quickly from that again. ares

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is your level of physical conditioning? I know that I can tell when a student has a lower level of conditioning because they start gasping for breath during tests. If you have the time to do you shouldtry wind sprints and other interval types of training. They will help greatly. As for controlling your breath, next to conditioning, you need to relax. You need to make sure to warm up good before the class starts. This will get you to a steady state and lower lactic acid buildup which causes fatigue.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
THere are several methods. But I would think if you start a jogging routine work up your endurance through jogging .You next test will go much better. Cardio work outs also help. As you have to work your breathing a little different in your spars any way. Breeath out short spurts on strikes and kicks In as you retract you movements. But you need that extra conditioning to get your body ready .

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
learning to relax as often as possible may help in your test. Knowing the material and knowing you know it will help you preform at a hard yet more relaxed mental state and that may help you breath easier

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Breathing is important to staubg focused, delivering power, etc...but I dodn't think 'proper breathing' is really going to make the difference in a two hour test. That comes down to physical conditioning

OP
ares

ares

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise guys. I'm running about 2 miles a day to prepare for the next level. I will continue to work on conditioning. Ares

Latest Discussions