Breathing properly while sparring

trueaspirer

Green Belt
Reaction score
During contact sparring matches, even just for training, when hit I find it difficult to keep breathing at a regular pace. The break in my breathing pattern slows me down and I have difficulty for the rest of the match trying to keep up with my opponent. Any suggestions?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
More getting hit! :D

Seriously though, don't think about it or you'll mess yourself up. Breathing should be automatic, not something you are thinking about while fighting.

That said, get in the habit of not having lunges full of air. They're like balloons, if you get hit and they are full they pop ;)

Also get in the habit of breathing out when hitting, and getting hit. This helps absorb the blow.

Keep good posture (for getting hit), meaning crunched up, chin down and all that. If you straighten up the muscles stretch out and can't stop strikes as well.

If you do get the wind knocked out of you, you need to recover, which means find a safe place for a few seconds.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
breathing is extremely important. always try to breathe. if you forget to breathe you will most likely black out soon. :D

no seriously. in sparring or fighting the way of breathing is extremely important. your goal is to get enough oxygen to your muscles to promote endurance during fighting. Breathing should not be too fast. it should be deep, organized and kind of slow. always try to let go of air (exhaling only) as you deliver strikes, and as you take strikes. try to breathe in as you prepare for a strike, and as you yield.

desousae

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just like wieght training. When you are about to attack or press some weight, exhale, explode. When you are floating or on the way down from a rep, inhale, focus, relax.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Practice reverse breathing...you won't get winded nearly as easily or quickly and if you do, you can recover very, very quickly. It also allows you to strike with great power and from a more stable position...

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
desousae said:
Just like wieght training. When you are about to attack or press some weight, exhale, explode. When you are floating or on the way down from a rep, inhale, focus, relax.

I agree. Relaxation is the key. If you can relax, you're breathing will be fairly normal and you wong get winded as quickly. Knowing when to tense up and when to relax is very important for extended cardiovascular activity.

Conditioning plays a big part in it too, though.

My two cents...

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
While practicing the MArtial Arts (TKD) I focus on my breathing. I focus on it as it passes through my nose. Just like when I meditiate. It seems to me like I can control my breathing when I get winded. Not that I won't get winded but just that I control it better. Can anyone confirm this?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
As my teacher told me when I asked about breahting; when he asked his teacher Tung Ying Chieh about breathing Sifu Tung replied "Yes, you should"

You have some good advice given to you here, let me add one thing.....

relax.......

relax your breathing and the rest will follow.

Also as stated by PStarr Reverse breathing would help quite well..

FuriousGeorge

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In my experience everything follows from breath...good advice so far on how to breathe, in my mind, nothing is more beneficial than always being mindful of your breath...if I am getting dominated, I try and make myself safe so I can breathe and relax for a few seconds...in competition this is the only way I can maintain my cool and come out on top.

North Star

White Belt
Reaction score
Another tip ... as well as breathing naturally, try not to make your breathing obvious as this can be exploited by a good fighter.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Could you share more on reverse breathing, please? How and why it can be more helpful as well as how you do it?

Respectfully,
Marlon

pstarr said:
Practice reverse breathing...you won't get winded nearly as easily or quickly and if you do, you can recover very, very quickly. It also allows you to strike with great power and from a more stable position...

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
After that hit, your anxiety may be kicking in. I use a recovery tactic public speakers use for resetting from an anxiety attack before speaking.

Take big mouth breaths like you're just coming up for air after being under water for too long. Two or three of them to catch back up/reset and you'll be back in action. Not too many or you may faint!

~ Alan

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you fight the first sign you losing is your breathing. Lose that and its over. I do the opposite of diving. In through the nose out through the mouth. My students used to take big breaths and hyperventilate. Not uncomon to see beginers lying on the floor with plastic bags over their heads.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do the opposite of diving. In through the nose out through the mouth.

Diving is in and out through the mouth. The only time you exhale through the nose is when you need to clear water from your mask. If your mask fits properly, that's not terribly often.

Not uncomon to see beginers lying on the floor with plastic bags over their heads.

Wow. Tough class. How many died from this practice?

For less brutal teachers, I'd recommend using a paper bag instead...

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Diving is in and out through the mouth. The only time you exhale through the nose is when you need to clear water from your mask. If your mask fits properly, that's not terribly often.

Wow. Tough class. How many died from this practice?

For less brutal teachers, I'd recommend using a paper bag instead...
None but we won the All Japans twice in my time. Just temporary and well monitored. And just stressed up first year that dont know how to breath. This has been replaced by giving them water breaks and actually allowing them to take off armor.

Oh your a Dive Master? Me too. I have vents in my mask. Short breaths in and exhale through the vents helps me to conserve air. When everybody is back in boat out of air? I'm still down there.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh your a Dive Master? Me too. I have vents in my mask. Short breaths in and exhale through the vents helps me to conserve air. When everybody is back in boat out of air? I'm still down there.

Tech diver. Staged decompression. Any gas mix up to 100% O2, but no hypoxic trimix. Full cave. NDLs do not apply.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
for breathing training what did I find helped A LOT? I found dantian breathing to be a big help in terms of regulating heart rate and thus some of the physiological impacts of fight or flight. Thing was when I first started trying to use it in sparring/fighting it was a PITA. It's still not easy now but I found that if you like running and cycling like me there is something useful beyond just building the cardio base.

note it will actually physically hurt at first but you do get used to it. When the heart rate goes up your breathing naturally wants to follow. Your HR increases in sparring and fighting not only as a product of exertion but also fight or flight. So When I go out for my daily 3 mile run I started forcing myself to dantian (belly breath) and hold for 3 seconds as I ran. It hurt at first but I go used to it. I wear a HRM and when I did that I could see it actually keeping the heart rate in check so, in essence, I flipped the control. Usually HR controls breathing, I was helping my breathing to control my HR.

It takes time to get used to and then more time to make it a habit but once you do, it helps a lot.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
During contact sparring matches, even just for training, when hit I find it difficult to keep breathing at a regular pace. The break in my breathing pattern slows me down and I have difficulty for the rest of the match trying to keep up with my opponent. Any suggestions?
Cardio training and learning how to breathe while moving around throwing punches and kicks.

After that take a look at your techniques. Are you always tense? do you relax? Do you panic? if so then you have to fix those issues as well.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
My Sifu was just talking to me about this. He told me to look up the technique "long breathing," I think. Haven't had a chance yet.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Avoid being hit. :)

In fact, I do not remember having that issue (unless I received hard hits on the solar plexus - and I got many good ones). But I do have an issue when I am tired from the beginning. In that situation, I avoid the fight for a while. I keep moving around from the distance, throwing fakes and weak leg (stop) kicks. When I am restored enough, I come back to the 'normal'.

I think with time it, breathing well with hits, will be solved by naturally (with practice). I wonder if there is a quick solution.

Latest Discussions