Breaking?

W

white mantis

Can anyone tell me how to break wood boards and cinder blocks?:idunno:

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven’t mastered breaking cement yet, but I have kicked wood boards in half. so I'll describe to you the best I can how to break a board by kicking.

Do you know a kick called the Front Side Kick or Step Behind Side Kick? Those are Tae Kwon Do kicks and they are one of the best and easiest strikes to break wood boards. I'm sure any kick from your kung fu styles will work too.

Anyway, you must kick right in the center of the board. Try to get more speed in your kick than power. Don't know whether I spelled this word right, but Kiap (yell) loud once before you do your kick and then kiap (yell) again while you’re kicking. When you kick the board DO NOT push the board with your feet, only strike it. If you push it, it will not give enough space for the board to break.

I hope this info helps. I’m not too great in explaining procedures in text, so sorry if this info does not help as much. I think the best thing for you to do is ask your instructor. I think all MA instructors know how to break at least wood.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
white mantis said:
Can anyone tell me how to break wood boards and cinder blocks?:idunno:

Hit them properly, and in the right spot. :uhyeah:

Boards, you mainly just have to hit in the center. Doesn't take much to punch through a single board that way. The more boards you add, the more difficult it becomes, but the basic principle remains the same. Hit through the target, and use proper form. If your instructor's worth beans, it shouldn't be that difficult.

If you're just trying to learn how on your own... Why?

OP
T

TKD USA

Kane is right hit them in the center. Always do it fast and strike don't push.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are speed breaks and power breaks and concrete is more of a power break.

There are physics to the break, but there is the mind factor as well. Don't hit the board trying to break it - try to hit the guy holding the board and know you're going to go through the wood.

We use 1" thick pine boards, cut 12" x 8" cut across the grain for beginning adults 12" x 10" or 12" x 12" for more difficulty and 12" x 6" for kids.

I would try what Kane suggested as your first break - we call it the kick a stepping-in side kick - others call it an advancing side kick. Take a little step forward with your kicking leg, step behind the kicking leg with the rear leg, then side-kick and break your board(s).

Have someone who knows how to hold boards hold your boards - if they don't hold right, you won't break the board no matter how correct your technique is.

Finally, from the moment you step into the building supply to buy your wood, KNOW that you are going to reduce that wood to little pieces. There can only be assuredness on your part that you WILL BREAK THAT WOOD.

It will feel like butter if you do it right.

HWARANG!!

OP
W

white mantis

Marginal said:
If you're just trying to learn how on your own... Why?
To strengthen my fist's and feet bone, breaking isn't just for show thir is some scienice to it. Your bone's when take damage or stress will rebulid them selfs stronger. ;)

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
There are speed breaks and power breaks and concrete is more of a power break.

There are physics to the break, but there is the mind factor as well. Don't hit the board trying to break it - try to hit the guy holding the board and know you're going to go through the wood.

We use 1" thick pine boards, cut 12" x 8" cut across the grain for beginning adults 12" x 10" or 12" x 12" for more difficulty and 12" x 6" for kids.

I would try what Kane suggested as your first break - we call it the kick a stepping-in side kick - others call it an advancing side kick. Take a little step forward with your kicking leg, step behind the kicking leg with the rear leg, then side-kick and break your board(s).

Have someone who knows how to hold boards hold your boards - if they don't hold right, you won't break the board no matter how correct your technique is.

Finally, from the moment you step into the building supply to buy your wood, KNOW that you are going to reduce that wood to little pieces. There can only be assuredness on your part that you WILL BREAK THAT WOOD.

It will feel like butter if you do it right.

HWARANG!!
Absolutely - and what a rush when you break for the first time.

If you are trying hand strikes for breaking, my first instructor used to have us do palm heel. Supposedly that's the easiest. My first break was a punch. The advice given about punching/kicking through the board is what you need to remember. You should also practice proper positioning of your hand/elbow, forearm, kicks before you attempt to break for real. I know, I know -- the air doesn't hit back, BUT -- if you are confident in what you are doing, you will go right through.

Good luck - and let us know how you do. KT:asian:

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One more thing - if you don't have use for broken structural wood (we burn it in our wood-burning stove in the winter on really cold days :)) or if you can't afford to buy lots and lots of timber, Gather up some old phone directories. No, they don't break, but if you do it right, you will hear what I can only describe as a combination of a thud, pop and snap all at the same time. It is an unmistakeable sound - if you hear that, you'll know that if it had been a board or two, you would have achieved the break.

Good luck!

OP
G

Gary Crawford

Let me suggest something a little different,try splitting wood with an axe.This will give you the basic mechanics of breaking.If you hit the wood with your power stopping at the top of the wood,your axe will stop there also.If you drive the axe all the way through to the bottom,the wood will split easily.After you actually try this,breaking boards or cinder blocks won't seem impossible.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You might have hit the wedge on the head there - but then splitting is a bit different since you approach the wood differently AND you'd be splitting unstructural wood rather than breaking a plank of structural wood with a blunt object (compared to an axe or a splitting wedge).

When I split wood I split along the grain and occasionally with the grain with the piece on its side. Now, the second is more along the lines of how a wood break would be, however...it's just not the same. When splitting you may need use of levers and fulcrums and...oops - that's a different thread!

So, I don't think it's necessary to split wood to learn the mechanics of breaking wood and it certainly won't help you when you break concrete.

OP
G

Gary Crawford

The idea is learning how to hit though as a first lesson

Latest Discussions