Breaking down the spinning wheel kick

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I did find a kata video with that sequence in, so maybe I found it after all.

Is the hammer fist a horizontal strike there?

I'd made the wild assumption previously that it was almost exclusively a vertical downward strike, so I was looking for that being chambered from the ear.

Also - lifting the body to use the dropping weight?

Welcome to the sine wave (aka "that funny bouncing") :D

The hammerfist can be deployed, vertically, horizontally, and even diagonally.

And yes it is horizontal in this sequence.

Yep, Choi's sine wave existed before it was written about. I guess he Observed it.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I did find a kata video with that sequence in, so maybe I found it after all.

Is the hammer fist a horizontal strike there?

I'd made the wild assumption previously that it was almost exclusively a vertical downward strike, so I was looking for that being chambered from the ear.

Also - lifting the body to use the dropping weight?

Welcome to the sine wave (aka "that funny bouncing") :D

And what do you know... a buddy just Instant messages me this video.... He must have felt a disturbance in the force.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
The hammerfist can be deployed, vertically, horizontally, and even diagonally.

And yes it is horizontal in this sequence.

Yep, Choi's sine wave existed before it was written about. I guess he Observed it.

I did know the hammer fist can be used in many directions, but I forgot to realise and recognise it... Preprogrammed response to a word again.

And yeah, the "sine wave" has been around for quite some time without being so named - it's even used for digging sometimes ;)

OP
dvcochran

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And what do you know... a buddy just Instant messages me this video.... He must have felt a disturbance in the force.

I have a hard time being impressed by "instructors" who talk talk talk the explanation of a technique but never show how it is done. Just doesn't have the same impact.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a hard time being impressed by "instructors" who talk talk talk the explanation of a technique but never show how it is done. Just doesn't have the same impact.
People do stuff on videos in all sorts of ways for all sorts of reasons. Such videos will only how a tiny portion of what an Instructor can say or do. People can be Auditory, Visual or Tactile Learners or a combination thereof. . Video can at best address only 2 of those three types of learning. This video is heavy on the auditory. Suffice it to say I have been on the training floor with Master Stanley at a couple of Instructor courses taught by General Choi. He is well equipped to address the visual as well and as the producer of (for that time) ground breaking CD ROMS put out by General Choi he is well aware of the need for visual reference. What was ground breaking was having the patterns shot simultaneously with 4 cameras . One at each of the 4 sides, and by clicking on any side having that cameras view of the pattern for the video.

OP
dvcochran

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
People do stuff on videos in all sorts of ways for all sorts of reasons. Such videos will only how a tiny portion of what an Instructor can say or do. People can be Auditory, Visual or Tactile Learners or a combination thereof. . Video can at best address only 2 of those three types of learning. This video is heavy on the auditory. Suffice it to say I have been on the training floor with Master Stanley at a couple of Instructor courses taught by General Choi. He is well equipped to address the visual as well and as the producer of (for that time) ground breaking CD ROMS put out by General Choi he is well aware of the need for visual reference. What was ground breaking was having the patterns shot simultaneously with 4 cameras . One at each of the 4 sides, and by clicking on any side having that cameras view of the pattern for the video.
I am sure that was/is excellent technology. I would caution him as to when he is being videoed or more importantly what is being done with the video. Your perception of the instructor is not the masses norm so a lot is lost in translation.

Latest Discussions