Breaking contact if grappled

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Having the attitude of training against a less skilled opponent is training to fail. You should always presume your adversary will be better than you.

Its not training to fail, I am just stating the obvious that it is a very small % of the population that is formerly training in any fighting art. It sounded liek he was expecting to go up against Royce Gracie or something. I never said lessen the quality of your training. Just my opinion anyways.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry for not adding to my original post. My reason for saying that you shouldn't expect to be grappled by a BJJ Black belt is this. The average person fights in a different way than someone who is trained. A skilled fighter is going to have a better approach then the average brawler with no training. Training expecting to fight a highly skilled black belt who si gonig to approach a fight differently than a street brawler with no training are two different approaches. That is what i meant if that makes any sense. Granted you are pretty much going to go off of instinct when attacked but anyways. I am probably not explaining myself right :p Oh well , brain fart I guess.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for not adding to my original post. My reason for saying that you shouldn't expect to be grappled by a BJJ Black belt is this. The average person fights in a different way than someone who is trained. A skilled fighter is going to have a better approach then the average brawler with no training. Training expecting to fight a highly skilled black belt who si gonig to approach a fight differently than a street brawler with no training are two different approaches. That is what i meant if that makes any sense. Granted you are pretty much going to go off of instinct when attacked but anyways. I am probably not explaining myself right :p Oh well , brain fart I guess.

No, you're making sense. :) I agree, and actually, I've said similar things in the past, that its not too likely that we'll be attacked by someone on the same level as a Royce or Mike Tyson. Of course, with the MMA craze, it could be possible that more people than we think, could be exposed to wrestling, grappling, etc. Again, don't want to sound paranoid and think that a 3rd degree BJJ BB is going to jump out and mug me at the ATM.

For myself, I'd rather be over prepared than under. I'd rather have the skills and not need them, than to need them and not have them. :)

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No, you're making sense. :) I agree, and actually, I've said similar things in the past, that its not too likely that we'll be attacked by someone on the same level as a Royce or Mike Tyson. Of course, with the MMA craze, it could be possible that more people than we think, could be exposed to wrestling, grappling, etc. Again, don't want to sound paranoid and think that a 3rd degree BJJ BB is going to jump out and mug me at the ATM.

For myself, I'd rather be over prepared than under. I'd rather have the skills and not need them, than to need them and not have them. :)

True , the average street fighter will usually tackle you the same way. A trained fighter knows the right way and wrong way. or something liek that. That was my whole point. You have to train in preparation for the response. Go with gut instinct and with what works is what it all boils down to I guess.

jeff5

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As someone who has been a stand up fighter for almost 2 decades, with 16 years being spent in Kenpo I was curious how I would fare against the grapplers, other then the ones I had faced already. I took some BJJ classes to test myself and fell in love with the SPORT aspect of BJJ.
Please note that SPORT is capitalized for a reason. I feel that regardless of who is coming at me, the weapons I was taught in kenpo are more then adequate to deal with them. Finger strikes, soft tissue attacks, pinches small joint manipulation, etc.
Now I have been training for going on 4 years and am a purple belt in BJJ, and I advocate it to any stand up artist, but I think the vast majority of grapplers, even the higher level grapplers are simply studying a sport version of the art, they train constantly for the RULES, and find a hard time compensating for the lack of them in a street fight. That being said a grappler intent on hurting you can probably move past a fairly major eye injury or groin shot, or throat shot or broken finger and try to apply a submission, or ground and pound. Which is a big reason I advocate training on the ground for any stand up artist. I personally feel that a combination of environmental awareness, a good sprawl, and training in the ground game will give a stand up fighter all the tools he needs to avoid going to the ground to begin with, and the dirty self defense skills will help get off the ground if it happens.

Best post in this thread.

And I understand what your all saying about less skilled opponents. But imo you always train to beat someone who is more skilled than you.

chav buster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
watch chuck lidell or bj penn, as soon as you hit the ground use the hip out escape or pull guard then pull his head down to try and getr him to posture up and use his upward force to help you get the hip out escape. the problem with grappling arts from a self defence point of view is thay train you to say on the floor when you should be focussing all your training on getting back to your feet.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
watch chuck lidell or bj penn, as soon as you hit the ground use the hip out escape or pull guard then pull his head down to try and getr him to posture up and use his upward force to help you get the hip out escape. the problem with grappling arts from a self defence point of view is thay train you to say on the floor when you should be focussing all your training on getting back to your feet.

yep, and remember most attackers in real self defense situations come in groups of 2 and more. I would suggest that in a real SD situation that you consider using any and all force and techniques to not only not go to the ground but get up fast. this is to include Deadly Force. If attacked on the street I would say it is only reasonable and prudent to assume that they are seeking to take your life till it is shown other wise.

Latest Discussions