Breaking Concrete - Soft Break

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We had a discussion on MT recently about breaking concrete, and I mentioned that I was taught to do it a little differently than is typically scene on MT and Youtube videos. We don't break much concrete in our dojo, maybe once a year or even less.

However, I was asked to help do a 'demo' for the city tonight, and as a result, I had the opportunity to break a single paver. Typically I break 3 and I should be breaking 4, but 3 is my limit so far. However, this was a single paver. You'll notice I overpowered it a little; sorry about that. We do not use spacers between pavers, we just stack 'em up.

So here you go; we call this a 'soft break' and this is how I do it.

Comments, criticisms, feel free.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yay Bill! ...Good job. Similar to some stuff I trained a lo-o-ong time ago. Haven't broken anything (on purpose - that is) in many years.:)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bill.
What's the reason for the book? I put a shop rag on top of bricks when we do demos, mostly to protect my dainty knuckles from abrasions.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Bill.
What's the reason for the book? I put a shop rag on top of bricks when we do demos, mostly to protect my dainty knuckles from abrasions.

Same reason I guess. It's just a phone book. We used to have one in the dojo that was duct-taped up, dunno where it went.

I've never done a break without the phone book, so I can't say how different it would feel. I should try it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same reason I guess. It's just a phone book. We used to have one in the dojo that was duct-taped up, dunno where it went.

I've never done a break without the phone book, so I can't say how different it would feel. I should try it.

I don't find a difference without the rag if I just do one. But if we're doing a demo, after a few piles, my hands start to get scraped up.

Latest Discussions