Breakfalls and rolls

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sigung is absolutly right. On the other hand at what Mr. Chapel said "How much money can you make teaching someone to fall down", we all know running a martial arts school you need to make money for an honest living but how you worded you comment explains alot about you and your teaching methods (Turn Off) with all do respect senior. Wouldn't you want your students to be more well rounded in all aspects of self defense or let me not teach them how to roll or to break a fall cause i will be loosing my money.

Back to the basics

" I would like to state that it is an honor Sigung Labounty to be in this forum with you"
If you go to the "Kenpo/Kempo General" section and scroll down to the "Kenpo JuJitsu connection" thread, you will understand what Mr Chapel is alluding to. As I understand it Doc's SL4 teaches everything you would ever want to learn in a JuJitsu class, including ukemi-waza. I can understand why you made your comments, but you were reading the comments in question from the wrong angle. Do some research in the Kenpo/Kempo section and you'll see what I mean!

Regards
Dom

I'm a young pup with a slightly deviated compass too, just do your research and learn from your mistake.

Last edited:

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It might be worth it to learn a little more about Mr. Chapel's teaching values prior to calling him out. Methinks you might be missing one of the legs you're hoping to stand on.
Does Doc's SL4 teach leg amputation techniques? After what little I've seen on utube it probably does. Doc, could you please post a link to that video? Great, I'm gonna have my enemies hopping away from me in terror.

BLACKDESTINY09

White Belt
Reaction score
Please don't take it as i was trying to call him out, i was just shocked as to how Mr. Chapel said that (Blunt and Careless). As far as learning more about Mr. Chapel i think i know quite enough, i been a historian EPAK for many years even though i'm still young, i did my fare amount of research on the man. Anyway don't take what i said the wrong way and i apologize if i took what Mr. Chapel said the wrong way. "I have nothing but love for all of my kenpo brothers and sisters".

Peace love and hair grease-

danahallenbeck

White Belt
Reaction score
I took up Kenpo about 2 years ago, and we had to learn them in order to get a yellow belt. Now we review rolls and breakfalls frequently, but don't spend a ton of time on them overall.

When I was about 6 I took a martial arts class for a year with my father. They spent a lot of time on breakfalls and rolls. Later in life I took up freestyle BMX and skateboarding, and can't tell you how many times that ingrained knowledge saved my skin, bones and brain. While other guys were breaking their legs & arms and tearing ligaments, I was rolling out of most falls (again, most falls).

Good stuff to know... for martial arts and life in general.