Brain Teasers...

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1. Pulchritude possesses solely cutaneous profundity.

Beauty is only skin deep.

2. Compounds of hydrogen and oxygen in the proportion of two to one that are without visible movement invariably tend to flow with profundity.

Still waters run deep

3. A body of persons abiding in a domicile of silica with metallic oxides should not carelessly project small geologic specimens.

People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones

4. Members of an avian species or identical plumage congregate.

Birds of a feather flock together

5. It is fruitless to become lachrymose over precipitately departed lacteal fluid.

No use crying over spilt milk

6. Where there is sufficient positive volition a successful conclusion may usually be anticipated.

Where there’s a will there’s a way

7. Cast a stroke at the propitious moment when the silver-white metallic substance is of excessive temperature.

Strike while the iron is hot

8. A tremendous disturbance of the atmosphere is generally succeeded by a corresponding period of absolute tranquility.

Calm before the storm

9. The customary symbol of regal power does not necessarily indicate desirable mental tranquility.

Uneasy is the head that wears the crown

10. A plethora of individuals with expertise in culinary techniques vitiate the potable concoction produced by steeping certain compatibles.

Too many cooks spoil the broth

11. Neophyte's serendipity.

Beginners luck

12. Each mass of vapory collection suspended in the firmament has an interior decoration of metallic hue.

Every cloud has a silver lining

13. Variations from the ordinary or common routine of experience are that which gives zest to man's cycle of existence.

Variety is the spice of life

14. Those who possess unusually little intellect often project themselves into situations where the winged, ethereal likenesses of men hesitate to perambulate.

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread

15. Scintillate, scintillate, asteroid minific.

Twinkle, twinkle little star

16. Freedom from incrustations of grime is contiguous to deification.

Cleanliness is next to godliness

17. It is fruitless to attempt to indoctrinate a superannuated canine with innovative maneuvers.

You can’t teach an old dog new tricks

18. He who locks himself into the arms of Morpheus promptly at eventide and starts the day before it is officially announced by the rising sun, excels in physical fitness, increases in economic assets, and cerebrates with remarkable efficiency.

Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise

19. Eschew the implement of correction and vitiate the scion.

Spare the rod and spoil the child

20. The cognomens of those bereft of efficiency of judgment are definitely similar of the portion of their anatomy that extends from the brow to the lower extremity of the lower jaw, in constantly being perceived on display in sites of prominence.

21. A feathered biped in a gilded cage is equivalent to double that number at large.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

22. Equine quadrupeds may indubitably be induced to approach that well-known standard of specific gravity, but not necessarily be induced to imbibe thereof.

You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink

23. All articles, which coruscate with resplendence, are not truly auriferous.

All that glitters is not gold

24. Calculus concretions in rotary transition glean negligible bryophitic accretion.

A rolling stone gathers no moss

25. The incontinently astirring rascorial vertebrae apprehends the lytta-like verminicular invertabrae.

The early bird catches the worm

26. It hath been deemed unwise to calculate upon the quantity of junior poultry prior to the completion of proper incubation.

Don’t count your chickens before they hatch

27. Where there are visible vapors having their provenience in ignited carbonaceous materials, there will be also observed conflagration.

Where there’s smoke, there’s fire

28. Unwanted egotism prophesies the speedy effect of the force of gravity.

Pride comes before a fall

29. The placement of the termination as a precedent to the commencement should never be essayed.

30. A small, one-eyed steel instrument used at the crucial moment may rescue the square of three.

A stitch in time saves nine

31. To depart from the path of rectitude is characteristic of the human species, but to be tolerant, loving and kind toward wrongdoers is Godlike.

To err is human, to forgive divine

32. Sorting on the part of mendicants must be interdicted.

Beggars can’t be choosers

33. Male cadavers are incapable of yielding testimony.

Dead men tell no tales

34. Exclusive dedication to necessitous chores without interludes of hedonistic diversion renders John a hebetudinous fellow.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

35. Accelerated execution often produces faulty results.

Haste makes waste

36. History records numerous painful occurrences between the drinking vessel and the facial aperture which it wished to contact.

Many a slip twixt cup and lip

37. The person presenting the ultimate cachinnation possesses thereby the optimal cachinnation.

He who laughs last, laughs best

38. Abstention from any eleatory undertaking precludes a potential accumulation of a lucrative nature.

Nothing ventured nothing gained

39. Missiles of ligneous or oterous consistency have the potential of fracturing my osceous structure, but appellations will eternally remain innocuous.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me

40. When the humidity attains the bursting point it does so profusely.

When it rains it pours

41. When the feline quadruped is conspicuous by its absence the lesser rodents avail themselves of the opportunity to participate in some unrestrained frivolity.

When the cat’s away the mice will play

42. Pedal habiliments of variegated hue and design artistically lubricated and illuminated with ambidextrous facility for the infinitesimal remuneration of 10 cents per operation.

10 cents a dance

43. Permanently absented in simultaneous confunction with severely agitated admixtures of nitrogen and oxygen.

Gone with the wind

44. One should hypersthetically exercise macrography on that situs which one should eventually tenant should one propel oneself into the troposphere.

Look before you leap

45. Do not dissipate your competence by habitudenous prodigality lest you subsequently lament an exiguous inadequacy.

Waste not, want not

46. In promulgating your esoteric cogitations and articulating your superficial sentimentalities or amicable philosophical observations, beware of platitudinous ponderosities.

Kacey,

Will you let us know the answers at some point?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey,

Will you let us know the answers at some point?

I would love to... I don't have them all, although the ones listed look right.

As far as I know, the ones you're missing are these answers:

20. The cognomens of those bereft of efficiency of judgment are definitely similar of the portion of their anatomy that extends from the brow to the lower extremity of the lower jaw, in constantly being perceived on display in sites of prominence.

The names of fools are like faces, always seen in public places

29. The placement of the termination as a precedent to the commencement should never be essayed.

Don't start what you can't finish

46. In promulgating your esoteric cogitations and articulating your superficial sentimentalities or amicable philosophical observations, beware of platitudinous ponderosities.

Complete phrase:

When promulgating your esoteric cogitations or articulating your superficial sentimentalities and your amicably philosophical and psychological observations, beware of platitudinous ponderosity. Let your verbal evanescences exude lucidity, intelligibility and veracious vivacity without rodomontade or thespian bombast. Sedulously avoid all polysyllabic profundity, pompous propensity, sophomoric insolence, psittacistic vacuity and ventriloquial vapidity. Shun double-entendre, prurient jocosity and flamboyant verbosity.

Translation:

In other words, say what you mean, keep it clean, and do not use big words.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Got it!

How 'bout:

#29: Fools' names and fools' faces: often found in public places.

And

#46: Say what you mean and mean what you say.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
there is always one in every crowd ;)

The obvious answer is the Lions would be dead. But, in a closed room that has not bruned down, a fire will go out, as it has no oxygen.
of course, but how many rooms are air tight? the safe solution of course is the lions. I guess the guy could always wait. Either the room will burn down or the combustables will be consumed.

Photography, and the process of developing.

But I prefer to think she was a polygamist.
LOL though I believe the wording is husband, not A husband

Assuming "a barrel" imples that there is one and only one barrel to work with, then pouring the water into a barrel each is not the answer. Unless one could use a barrel per jug.

If one freezes one and or boils the other to steam. Either would have a different state. But over time, one could not tell the difference.

Of course, I would use water from a Nuclear power plant in one jug. That way the deuterium (H2) in one of hte water could be told from "normal" water.
well, never said you had to even take it out of the original jug. Why pour in the first place? freezing is nice, but it eventually melts.

Pure heavy water, aside from the cost, would be difficult to test and "seperate" into two identifiable groups, though in theory it could work :)
Charcoal

or

A hair dryer, it is black in color, and then red (* hot coils *) while being used, and Gray, (* Lint *) when thrown away.
:asian:
Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow,

New Year's Eve, New Year's Day and the second day of the year. This answer should be allowed as it did not specify one word only per reference to "day".
you could say that about just about any holiday/occassion... first day of christmas, second day of christmas (etc etc)... good point though :)

Well a couple of things. The word "The" does not appear, and also the letter "E" does not appear. Both are used a lot in the English Language.

No "J" , "Q" , "V" and "Z" either.

well, of course "the" does not appear. Thats kind of implied, since no E. J, Q, V and Z are relatively uncommon, so thats not too unnormal in a paragraph of this length...

still, I had fun reading your responses :) :asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
there is always one in every crowd ;)

Of course and I know many times it is me. ;)

of course, but how many rooms are air tight? the safe solution of course is the lions. I guess the guy could always wait. Either the room will burn down or the combustables will be consumed.

I like thinking out of the box or out of the room. :D

LOL though I believe the wording is husband, not A husband

Picky little things those articles. :)

well, never said you had to even take it out of the original jug. Why pour in the first place? freezing is nice, but it eventually melts.

Since the wording was unclear about using the jugs with the water or not hence my comments.

As to melting, that is fine but once I make the system, and it works I get paid right. There was nothing in the requirements about it being perpetual ;) :lol:

Pure heavy water, aside from the cost, would be difficult to test and "seperate" into two identifiable groups, though in theory it could work :)

Of course in theory it is good. I leave the proof to the student and for the Engineer to build. :)

Having been that Engineer, it is nice to be on the other end once. :D

you could say that about just about any holiday/occassion... first day of christmas, second day of christmas (etc etc)... good point though :)

Just thinking obtusely I guess.

well, of course "the" does not appear. Thats kind of implied, since no E. J, Q, V and Z are relatively uncommon, so thats not too unnormal in a paragraph of this length...

Yes with out "E" then "THE" is obvious, but also I have read paragraphs without "THE" as part of the test. So just being complete. I was once asked to state everythign I knew about a poem. I did everything from the class then I disected the poem into root words (* it was much easier taking Latin at the same time. *) and then also its' Iambic pentameter or the flow of the poem. The instructor thought it was funny that the Engineering student was the only one who supplied that information and none of the English majors did. :D

still, I had fun reading your responses :) :asian:

I am glad to share a smile anytime.

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
Can you name three consecutive days without using the words Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday?

How about

Long weekend?:)

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The best I could do in 10 minutes ...
1. A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him?

The room full of starved to death lions.

2. A woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over 5 minutes. Finally, she hangs him. But 5 minutes later they both go out together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together. How can this be?

She's a photographer.

3. There are two plastic jugs filled with water. How could you put all of this water into a barrel, without using the jugs or any dividers, and still tell which water came from which jug?

4. What is black when you buy it, red when you use it, and gray when you throw it away?

5. Can you name three consecutive days without using the words Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday?

Yesterday, today, tomorrow.

6. This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it? It looks so plain you would think nothing was wrong with it! In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out! Try to do so without any coaching!