Brain Teasers...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not wholly sure how to do this... but I'll throw it out here and then ask those who haven't read the questions yet and /figured out the answers to not scroll down until thinking about it drives you utterly and hopelessly insane... :D Ah! :idea: Got it... after reading the questions... hit quote and type in your answers in bold then hit submit reply... at least you won't have to scroll to see someone else's answers... right?

1. A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him?

2. A woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over 5 minutes. Finally, she hangs him. But 5 minutes later they both go out together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together. How can this be?

3. There are two plastic jugs filled with water. How could you put all of this water into a barrel, without using the jugs or any dividers, and still tell which water came from which jug?

4. What is black when you buy it, red when you use it, and gray when you throw it away?

5. Can you name three consecutive days without using the words Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday?

6. This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it? It looks so plain you would think nothing was wrong with it! In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out! Try to do so without any coaching!

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
5. Can you name three consecutive days without using the words Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday?

#5 should be yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

I'll have to think over the other ones....

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not wholly sure how to do this... but I'll throw it out here and then ask those who haven't read the questions yet and /figured out the answers to not scroll down until thinking about it drives you utterly and hopelessly insane... :D Ah! :idea: Got it... after reading the questions... hit quote and type in your answers in bold then hit submit reply... at least you won't have to scroll to see someone else's answers... right?

1. A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him?
the lions... they are dead

2. A woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over 5 minutes. Finally, she hangs him. But 5 minutes later they both go out together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together. How can this be?

3. There are two plastic jugs filled with water. How could you put all of this water into a barrel, without using the jugs or any dividers, and still tell which water came from which jug?

4. What is black when you buy it, red when you use it, and gray when you throw it away?

These didn't jump out at me and it is late, so I'll have to try again tomorrow.

6. This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it? It looks so plain you would think nothing was wrong with it! In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out! Try to do so without any coaching!

there is no E in it (the most common letter in the English letter) cool!!

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score

1 The third room - the lions are all dead.
2 The woman photographed her husband.
3 I dunno, put both full jugs in the barrel?

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score

1 The third room - the lions are all dead.
2 The woman photographed her husband.
3 I dunno, put both full jugs in the barrel?
4 You got me, no idea.
5 Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day.
6 You got me, no idea. Again.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

1.The lions they are all dead
2. She took a pic, and printed the film herself and hung it up
3. Freeze the water, course once it melts you can't tell
4. Charcoal.
5 and 6 I only know cause reading other peoples responses...the answers wouldn't have occured to me

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

The one with the lions, they've starved to death

She's a photographer and took his picture and developed the film

Put each jug into a different barrel

Charcoal

Yesterday, Today and Tommorow

There are no E's in it

How'd I do?

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How'd I do?
Well.. ok on all except #3... re-read the question again carefully this time eh? 3. There are two plastic jugs filled with water. How could you put all of this water into a barrel, without using the jugs or any dividers, and still tell which water came from which jug?

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well.. ok on all except #3... re-read the question again carefully this time eh? 3. There are two plastic jugs filled with water. How could you put all of this water into a barrel, without using the jugs or any dividers, and still tell which water came from which jug?
Put blue dye in one jug, red dye in the other, then freeze them both. Cut the jugs off the outside of the ice. The red block is from one jug, and the blue block of ice is from the other.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Put blue dye in one jug, red dye in the other, then freeze them both. Cut the jugs off the outside of the ice. The red block is from one jug, and the blue block of ice is from the other.
That'll do it... or just freeze one of the jugs and cut off the plastic and pour out the other one... :idunno:

If I find more I'll add on ... if ya'll find any... feel free...

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That'll do it... or just freeze one of the jugs and cut off the plastic and pour out the other one... :idunno:
Then they will both come to thermal equilibrium, melt, and mix. If you freeze both jugs, you can keep both jugs and the barrel in a large freezer.

Here's a test my nine-yr-old son found online:

1) Some months have 30 days, some months have 31 days. How many months have 28 days?

2) If a doctor gives you 3 pills and tells you to take one pill every half hour, how long would it be before all the pills had been taken?

3) I went to bed at eight o'clock in the evening and wound up my clock and set the alarm to sound at nine o'clock in the morning. How many hours sleep would I get before being awoken by the alarm?

4) Divide 30 by half and add ten. What do you get?

5) A farmer had 17 sheep. All but 9 died. How many live sheep were left?

6) If you had only one match and entered a COLD and DARK room, where there was an oil heater, an oil lamp and a candle, which would you light first?

7.) A man builds a house with four sides of rectangular construction, each side having a southern exposure. A big bear comes along. What color is the bear?

8.) Take 2 apples from 3 apples. What do you have?

9.) How many animals of each species did Moses take with him in the Ark?

10) If you drove a bus with 43 people on board from Chicago and stopped at Pittsburgh to pick up 7 more people and drop off 5 passengers and at Cleveland to drop off 8 passengers and pick up 4 more and eventually arrive at Philadelphia 20 hours later, what's the name of the driver?

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Then they will both come to thermal equilibrium, melt, and mix. If you freeze both jugs, you can keep both jugs and the barrel in a large freezer.

Here's a test my nine-yr-old son found online:

1) Some months have 30 days, some months have 31 days. How many months have 28 days?

2) If a doctor gives you 3 pills and tells you to take one pill every half hour, how long would it be before all the pills had been taken?

3) I went to bed at eight o'clock in the evening and wound up my clock and set the alarm to sound at nine o'clock in the morning. How many hours sleep would I get before being awoken by the alarm?

4) Divide 30 by half and add ten. What do you get?

5) A farmer had 17 sheep. All but 9 died. How many live sheep were left?

6) If you had only one match and entered a COLD and DARK room, where there was an oil heater, an oil lamp and a candle, which would you light first?

7.) A man builds a house with four sides of rectangular construction, each side having a southern exposure. A big bear comes along. What color is the bear?

8.) Take 2 apples from 3 apples. What do you have?

9.) How many animals of each species did Moses take with him in the Ark?

10) If you drove a bus with 43 people on board from Chicago and stopped at Pittsburgh to pick up 7 more people and drop off 5 passengers and at Cleveland to drop off 8 passengers and pick up 4 more and eventually arrive at Philadelphia 20 hours later, what's the name of the driver?

1. All of them
2. 1 hour
3. 1 hour
4. 70
5. 9
6. The match
7. White
8. 2 apples
9. Moses wasn't on the Ark
10. Tom

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score

The room full of lions-- they can't survive 3 years without food...

By "shoot," she took her husband's picture, and developed the film herself.

Place dye in each jug, then puncture the sides of the jugs so that the colored water will pour into the barrel.

Yesterday, today, tomorrow

Well, I can only see that there are no "e's" in it...

How did I do? I didn't do #4- I have to think on that one...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

The obvious answer is the Lions would be dead. But, in a closed room that has not bruned down, a fire will go out, as it has no oxygen.

Photography, and the process of developing.

But I prefer to think she was a polygamist.

Assuming "a barrel" imples that there is one and only one barrel to work with, then pouring the water into a barrel each is not the answer. Unless one could use a barrel per jug.

If one freezes one and or boils the other to steam. Either would have a different state. But over time, one could not tell the difference.

Of course, I would use water from a Nuclear power plant in one jug. That way the deuterium (H2) in one of hte water could be told from "normal" water.

Charcoal

or

A hair dryer, it is black in color, and then red (* hot coils *) while being used, and Gray, (* Lint *) when thrown away.

Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow,

New Year's Eve, New Year's Day and the second day of the year. This answer should be allowed as it did not specify one word only per reference to "day".

Well a couple of things. The word "The" does not appear, and also the letter "E" does not appear. Both are used a lot in the English Language.

No "J" , "Q" , "V" and "Z" either.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Translate the following aphorisms. The first one has been done as an example.

1. Pulchritude possesses solely cutaneous profundity.

Beauty is only skin deep.

2. Compounds of hydrogen and oxygen in the proportion of two to one that are without visible movement invariably tend to flow with profundity.

3. A body of persons abiding in a domicile of silica with metallic oxides should not carelessly project small geologic specimens.

4. Members of an avian species or identical plumage congregate.

5. It is fruitless to become lachrymose over precipitately departed lacteal fluid.

6. Where there is sufficient positive volition a successful conclusion may usually be anticipated.

7. Cast a stroke at the propitious moment when the silver-white metallic substance is of excessive temperature.

8. A tremendous disturbance of the atmosphere is generally succeeded by a corresponding period of absolute tranquility.

9. The customary symbol of regal power does not necessarily indicate desirable mental tranquility.

10. A plethora of individuals with expertise in culinary techniques vitiate the potable concoction produced by steeping certain compatibles.

11. Neophyte's serendipity.

12. Each mass of vapory collection suspended in the firmament has an interior decoration of metallic hue.

13. Variations from the ordinary or common routine of experience are that which gives zest to man's cycle of existence.

14. Those who possess unusually little intellect often project themselves into situations where the winged, ethereal likenesses of men hesitate to perambulate.

15. Scintillate, scintillate, asteroid minific.

16. Freedom from incrustations of grime is contiguous to deification.

17. It is fruitless to attempt to indoctrinate a superannuated canine with innovative maneuvers.

18. He who locks himself into the arms of Morpheus promptly at eventide and starts the day before it is officially announced by the rising sun, excels in physical fitness, increases in economic assets, and cerebrates with remarkable efficiency.

19. Eschew the implement of correction and vitiate the scion.

20. The cognomens of those bereft of efficiency of judgment are definitely similar of the portion of their anatomy that extends from the brow to the lower extremity of the lower jaw, in constantly being perceived on display in sites of prominence.

21. A feathered biped in a gilded cage is equivalent to double that number at large.

22. Equine quadrupeds may indubitably be induced to approach that well-known standard of specific gravity, but not necessarily be induced to imbibe thereof.

23. All articles, which coruscate with resplendence, are not truly auriferous.

24. Calculus concretions in rotary transition glean negligible bryophitic accretion.

25. The incontinently astirring rascorial vertebrae apprehends the lytta-like verminicular invertabrae.

26. It hath been deemed unwise to calculate upon the quantity of junior poultry prior to the completion of proper incubation.

27. Where there are visible vapors having their provenience in ignited carbonaceous materials, there will be also observed conflagration.

28. Unwanted egotism prophesies the speedy effect of the force of gravity.

29. The placement of the termination as a precedent to the commencement should never be essayed.

30. A small, one-eyed steel instrument used at the crucial moment may rescue the square of three.

31. To depart from the path of rectitude is characteristic of the human species, but to be tolerant, loving and kind toward wrongdoers is Godlike.

32. Sorting on the part of mendicants must be interdicted.

33. Male cadavers are incapable of yielding testimony.

34. Exclusive dedication to necessitous chores without interludes of hedonistic diversion renders John a hebetudinous fellow.

35. Accelerated execution often produces faulty results.

36. History records numerous painful occurrences between the drinking vessel and the facial aperture which it wished to contact.

37. The person presenting the ultimate cachinnation possesses thereby the optimal cachinnation.

38. Abstention from any eleatory undertaking precludes a potential accumulation of a lucrative nature.

39. Missiles of ligneous or oterous consistency have the potential of fracturing my osceous structure, but appellations will eternally remain innocuous.

40. When the humidity attains the bursting point it does so profusely.

41. When the feline quadruped is conspicuous by its absence the lesser rodents avail themselves of the opportunity to participate in some unrestrained frivolity.

42. Pedal habiliments of variegated hue and design artistically lubricated and illuminated with ambidextrous facility for the infinitesimal remuneration of 10 cents per operation.

43. Permanently absented in simultaneous confunction with severely agitated admixtures of nitrogen and oxygen.

44. One should hypersthetically exercise macrography on that situs which one should eventually tenant should one propel oneself into the troposphere.

45. Do not dissipate your competence by habitudenous prodigality lest you subsequently lament an exiguous inadequacy.

46. In promulgating your esoteric cogitations and articulating your superficial sentimentalities or amicable philosophical observations, beware of platitudinous ponderosities.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
This should be fun...

2. Compounds of hydrogen and oxygen in the proportion of two to one that are without visible movement invariably tend to flow with profundity.

Don't know... Something about water (working on it)... A river runs deep, maybe?

3. A body of persons abiding in a domicile of silica with metallic oxides should not carelessly project small geologic specimens.

Those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks.

Birds of a feather stick together.

5. It is fruitless to become lachrymose over precipitately departed lacteal fluid.

It's no use crying over spilled milk.

6. Where there is sufficient positive volition a successful conclusion may usually be anticipated.

Where there is a will, there's a way.

7. Cast a stroke at the propitious moment when the silver-white metallic substance is of excessive temperature.

Strike while the iron is hot.

8. A tremendous disturbance of the atmosphere is generally succeeded by a corresponding period of absolute tranquility.

There is calm before a storm.

10. A plethora of individuals with expertise in culinary techniques vitiate the potable concoction produced by steeping certain compatibles.

Too many cooks ruins the broth (or whatever on the last word).

Ignorance is bliss

12. Each mass of vapory collection suspended in the firmament has an interior decoration of metallic hue.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

13. Variations from the ordinary or common routine of experience are that which gives zest to man's cycle of existence.

Variety is the spice of life.

14. Those who possess unusually little intellect often project themselves into situations where the winged, ethereal likenesses of men hesitate to perambulate.

Only fools go where angels won't dare.

Twinkle, twinkle, little star.

Cleanliness is next to godliness.

17. It is fruitless to attempt to indoctrinate a superannuated canine with innovative maneuvers.

It's impossible to teach old dogs new tricks.

18. He who locks himself into the arms of Morpheus promptly at eventide and starts the day before it is officially announced by the rising sun, excels in physical fitness, increases in economic assets, and cerebrates with remarkable efficiency.

Someone that goes to bed and wakes up early, is healthy, wealthy, and wise!

26. It hath been deemed unwise to calculate upon the quantity of junior poultry prior to the completion of proper incubation.

It's not smart to count your chickens before they hatch.

What goes up, must come down.

31. To depart from the path of rectitude is characteristic of the human species, but to be tolerant, loving and kind toward wrongdoers is Godlike.

To err is human, but to forgive is divine.

Dead men tells no tales.

Well, I'm tired, and that's all I'm doing! So, how did I do?

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Still waters run deep.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Birds of a feather flock together.

There's no use crying over spilled milk.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Strike while the iron is hot.

8. ..
9. ..

Too many cooks spoil the stew.

Beginner's luck.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Variety is the spice of life.

Fools rush in where angels dare to tread.

Twinkle, twinkle, little star.

Cleanliness is next to godliness.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Early to bed, and early to rise, make a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.

19. Eschew the implement of correction and vitiate the scion.
Spare the rod, and spoil the child.

20. The cognomens of those bereft of efficiency of judgment are definitely similar of the portion of their anatomy that extends from the brow to the lower extremity of the lower jaw, in constantly being perceived on display in sites of prominence.
(something about fools sticking their noses where they dont belong?)

21. A feathered biped in a gilded cage is equivalent to double that number at large.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

22. Equine quadrupeds may indubitably be induced to approach that well-known standard of specific gravity, but not necessarily be induced to imbibe thereof.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

23. All articles, which coruscate with resplendence, are not truly auriferous.
All that glitters is not gold.

24. Calculus concretions in rotary transition glean negligible bryophitic accretion.
Rolling stones gather no moss.

25. The incontinently astirring rascorial vertebrae apprehends the lytta-like verminicular invertabrae.
The early bird gets the worm.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

27. Where there are visible vapors having their provenience in ignited carbonaceous materials, there will be also observed conflagration.
Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Pride goes before a fall.

29. .....

30. A small, one-eyed steel instrument used at the crucial moment may rescue the square of three.
A stitch in time saves nine.

To err is human; to forgive, divine.

32. Sorting on the part of mendicants must be interdicted.
Beggars can't be choosers.

Dead men tell no tales.

34. Exclusive dedication to necessitous chores without interludes of hedonistic diversion renders John a hebetudinous fellow.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

35. Accelerated execution often produces faulty results.
Haste makes waste.

36. History records numerous painful occurrences between the drinking vessel and the facial aperture which it wished to contact.
(I don't know, but I'll drink to that! ;) )

37. The person presenting the ultimate cachinnation possesses thereby the optimal cachinnation.
He who laughs last, laughs best

38. Abstention from any eleatory undertaking precludes a potential accumulation of a lucrative nature.
No risk, no gain.

39. Missiles of ligneous or oterous consistency have the potential of fracturing my osceous structure, but appellations will eternally remain innocuous.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.

40. When the humidity attains the bursting point it does so profusely.
When it rains, it pours.

41. When the feline quadruped is conspicuous by its absence the lesser rodents avail themselves of the opportunity to participate in some unrestrained frivolity.
When the cat's away, the mice will play.

42. .....

43. Permanently absented in simultaneous confunction with severely agitated admixtures of nitrogen and oxygen.
Gone with the wind.

44. One should hypersthetically exercise macrography on that situs which one should eventually tenant should one propel oneself into the troposphere.
Look before you leap.

45. Do not dissipate your competence by habitudenous prodigality lest you subsequently lament an exiguous inadequacy.
Waste not, want not.

46. In promulgating your esoteric cogitations and articulating your superficial sentimentalities or amicable philosophical observations, beware of platitudinous ponderosities.
Beware of flattery (?)

OK, help me out here, folks: I'm still clueless about #8, 9, 29, 36, and 42.

Latest Discussions