Boxing with open-handed strikes. Opinions?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
NGA, and Daito-ryu (from which it primarily descended) are my easiest examples. I'm not aware of that kind of heavy hand conditioning ever being a part of Daito-ryu, and it hasn't ever been for NGA (which may or may not be "traditional", depending which definition we're using).
I would bet (with no actual evidence) that grappling styles are more likely to use the slap. Based on my experience the slap is more of a way to just get your hands on the opponent in a way that you can get a grip to perform a lock/throw. In a striking style, you want to hurt them as much as possible with it, or have it move them to a compromising position.

Encho

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are quite a few different ways to use the open hand, baguazhang favors open hand strikes from piercing to slaps to chops.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not motions - styles. There are styles that do not have any emphasis on that sort of heavy conditioning, and not much evidence they ever did. Within those styles, it's likely any slaps were intended to be slaps with a well-formed hand and nothing more.

Ear slaps.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would bet (with no actual evidence) that grappling styles are more likely to use the slap. Based on my experience the slap is more of a way to just get your hands on the opponent in a way that you can get a grip to perform a lock/throw. In a striking style, you want to hurt them as much as possible with it, or have it move them to a compromising position.

Twitter

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
NGA, and Daito-ryu (from which it primarily descended) are my easiest examples. I'm not aware of that kind of heavy hand conditioning ever being a part of Daito-ryu, and it hasn't ever been for NGA (which may or may not be "traditional", depending which definition we're using).
If any of these systems use Joint locks similar to Chin Na then there was conditioning of the hand. The only difference instead of making the hand from training like Iron Palm training the hand was naturally made hard from the strengthening of the fingers.

Maybe something similar to this. Any training like this will still make the hands strong and hard. The only difference is that it's not iron palm.

Take note of his fingers.

Encho

Green Belt
Reaction score
If any of these systems use Joint locks similar to Chin Na then there was conditioning of the hand. The only difference instead of making the hand from training like Iron Palm training the hand was naturally made hard from the strengthening of the fingers.

Maybe something similar to this. Any training like this will still make the hands strong and hard. The only difference is that it's not iron palm.

Hi jowgawolf,
Daito ryu does have hand conditioning for grip however, I do not think it is something in the syllabus but something perhaps verbally said or a particular lines method, anyway I was taught it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi jowgawolf,
Daito ryu does have hand conditioning for grip however, I do not think it is something in the syllabus but something perhaps verbally said or a particular lines method, anyway I was taught it.
That's not surprising to me. None of the conditioning that my school does is in the syllabus the only one that we do consistently would be the cardio. And even the cardio isn't in the syllabus nor is it a standard exercise that all Jow Ga schools do. I already know my cardio exercises are not the norm.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was referring to the iron hand conditioning as in your prior post. All grappling will have strength training for the hands, but it’s not necessarily going to produce anything massive about the hand.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Still pretty common.
Pretty common to train it, or pretty common for wrestlers to slap each other when they get pissed off?
I don't pay enough attention to wrestling to know how it works, so I don't know if theres some sort of strategy involved there.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pretty common to train it, or pretty common for wrestlers to slap each other when they get pissed off?
I don't pay enough attention to wrestling to know how it works, so I don't know if theres some sort of strategy involved there.

It happens pretty commonly which is in effect training it.