Boxing or American Kickboxing

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Do you have a counterpoint?

Yes. A finesse boxer, no matter if it's Floyd Mayweather jr, is going to get chopped down by kicks. A half decent power puncher, however, will corner the kickboxer, stalk him, and win by KO inside 3 rounds. A boxer punches much harder, much faster, and with better combinations. This is a level of boxing intensity and range that the kickboxer will be unfamiliar with. The rules of American Kickboxing had to be changed (to kicking requirments per round) because the better boxer usually won.

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
QUOTE="pdg, post: 1898912, member: 38938"]Source?[/QUOTE]

That the rules of AKB were changed to discourage boxers from entering? :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. A finesse boxer, no matter if it's Floyd Mayweather jr, is going to get chopped down by kicks. A half decent power puncher, however, will corner the kickboxer, stalk him, and win by KO inside 3 rounds. A boxer punches much harder, much faster, and with better combinations. This is a level of boxing intensity and range that the kickboxer will be unfamiliar with. The rules of American Kickboxing had to be changed (to kicking requirments per round) because the better boxer usually won.
Sounds like the fighter matters more than the style (boxer vs. kickboxer).

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like the fighter matters more than the style (boxer vs. kickboxer).

Well no. It doesn’t matter if it's Mayweather or a poor version of him. Either one is likely to lose. It doesn’t matter if it's Mike Tyson or a poor version of him, either one is likely to win.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, no, not really. There are actually a lot of kickboxing competitions and kickboxing 'authorities', there are hugely different standards between kickboxers, you can't judge all by some. I've known many kickboxers who have hammered boxers, very good boxers. to say kickboxers are unfamiliar with boxing's 'intensity and range' actually means you haven't watched much kick boxing or haven't trained in the right places. the rule may have been changed in 'American' kickboxing but that's not world kickboxing.
QUOTE="pdg, post: 1898912, member: 38938"]Source?

That the rules of AKB were changed to discourage boxers from entering? :D[/QUOTE]

that means nothing to me, I've never heard of it. Boxers and kick boxers often compete against each other and it's very much down to the fighter who wins, some want it more than others, some are better trained, some more experienced but it's hardly ever to do with style as such.

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, no, not really. There are actually a lot of kickboxing competitions and kickboxing 'authorities', there are hugely different standards between kickboxers, you can't judge all by some. I've known many kickboxers who have hammered boxers, very good boxers. to say kickboxers are unfamiliar with boxing's 'intensity and range' actually means you haven't watched much kick boxing or haven't trained in the right places. the rule may have been changed in 'American' kickboxing but that's not world kickboxing.

That the rules of AKB were changed to discourage boxers from entering? :D

that means nothing to me, I've never heard of it. Boxers and kick boxers often compete against each other and it's very much down to the fighter who wins, some want it more than others, some are better trained, some more experienced but it's hardly ever to do with style as such.[/QUOTE]

Just because you never heard of it doesn’t mean it's not true. The thread question was about shiny pants AKB, and the rules were changed in that after guys who did boxing dominated without throwing any kicks.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that means nothing to me, I've never heard of it. Boxers and kick boxers often compete against each other and it's very much down to the fighter who wins, some want it more than others, some are better trained, some more experienced but it's hardly ever to do with style as such.

Just because you never heard of it doesn’t mean it's not true. The thread question was about shiny pants AKB, and the rules were changed in that after guys who did boxing dominated without throwing any kicks.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say it wasn't true my point is that there are a great many different kickboxing competitions and governing bodies and you can't judge them all by one.

'Shiny pants' kick boxing is not what many of us consider proper kickboxing. I would never use that as a yardstick to judge kickboxing.

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just because you never heard of it doesn’t mean it's not true. The thread question was about shiny pants AKB, and the rules were changed in that after guys who did boxing dominated without throwing any kicks.

I didn't say it wasn't true my point is that there are a great many different kickboxing competitions and governing bodies and you can't judge them all by one.

'Shiny pants' kick boxing is not what many of us consider proper kickboxing. I would never use that as a yardstick to judge kickboxing.

Well the threadmaker did: Would a boxer win over an American Kickboxer.

So I decided to answer what this person asked.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the threadmaker did: Would a boxer win over an American Kickboxer.

So I decided to answer what this person asked.

Which is fine if you are correct but you insisted on calling it kickboxing when in fact you are discussing American kickboxing, you can't define all kick boxing by American kickboxing. If the discussion was 'can a boxer win over a Judoka' instead and you started talking about BJJers instead of Judoka the conversation would be slewed and not factual. Same with telling people kickboxers don't punch as hard etc as boxers when what you seem to mean is those who do American kickboxing don't punch as hard as boxers, which again though may not be true............

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Which is fine if you are correct but you insisted on calling it kickboxing when in fact you are discussing American kickboxing, you can't define all kick boxing by American kickboxing. If the discussion was 'can a boxer win over a Judoka' instead and you started talking about BJJers instead of Judoka the conversation would be slewed and not factual. Same with telling people kickboxers don't punch as hard etc as boxers when what you seem to mean is those who do American kickboxing don't punch as hard as boxers, which again though may not be true............

Haha. No kickboxer of any style/organisation, punch as hard as boxers. Or punch as well as boxers. Ray Sefo got floored by a journeyman when he tried boxing. Ray Sefo!! A Kickboxing legend.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Haha. No kickboxer, of any style, organisation, punch as hard as boxers.

So, if that's really the case

I whooped his intermediate guys in sparring. Nice operating a gym where a kickboxer bullies boxing guys who can only box in theory.

How on earth could that possibly ever happen?

You yourself stated that you, with your kickboxing experience, completely dominated boxers with equal or greater experience.

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So, if that's really the case

How on earth could that possibly ever happen?

You yourself stated that you, with your kickboxing experience, completely dominated boxers with equal or greater experience.

I had MUCH greater experience, they weren't competitors etc.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had MUCH greater experience, they weren't competitors etc.

But that's introducing yet another condition.

They're either boxers or they're not.

You said EVERY boxer punches harder and better than ANY kickboxer.

Did you really mean: every boxer (just so long as they have been training for multiple years and compete regularly) punches harder and better than any kickboxer (just so long as they're of lesser experience)?

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
But that's introducing yet another condition.

They're either boxers or they're not.

You said EVERY boxer punches harder and better than ANY kickboxer.

Did you really mean: every boxer (just so long as they have been training for multiple years and compete regularly) punches harder and better than any kickboxer (just so long as they're of lesser experience)?

Well I wrote boxers because some out of that group were likely aspiring competitors. A boxer is usually defined as being a competitor. Training boxing for guys not competing is not technically a boxer. Although you could argue those guys are boxers too, since we basically do the same thing, just not at the higher levels.

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
But if you do define a boxer as someone who trains boxing, then just about every MMA guy is a boxer.... They train in boxing gyms, spar etc.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha. No kickboxer of any style/organisation, punch as hard as boxers. Or punch as well as boxers. Ray Sefo got floored by a journeyman when he tried boxing. Ray Sefo!! A Kickboxing legend.

Sorry no, I'm guessing that you don't actually know that many boxers or that many kickboxers.
Ray Sefo: kickboxing 56 Wins (38 (T)KO's, 18 Decisions), 21 Losses, 1 Draw
Boxing 5 Wins (4 (T)KO's, 1 Decision), 1 Loss, 0 Draw
MMA 2 wins, 2 losses.

None of those records actually show a 'legend'. The boxing record doesn't show him quite as you show either.

If you want a legend try John Wayne Parr. 99 Wins (45 KOs), 33 losses, 1 draw or Crocop when he was kickboxing, Peter Aerts, Ernesto Hoost etc etc.

But if you do define a boxer as someone who trains boxing, then just about every MMA guy is a boxer.... They train in boxing gyms, spar etc.

Er no, we don't train in boxing gyms, there's a lot wrong with that statement! You don't know much about MMA then.

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sorry no, I'm guessing that you don't actually know that many boxers or that many kickboxers.
Ray Sefo: kickboxing 56 Wins (38 (T)KO's, 18 Decisions), 21 Losses, 1 Draw
Boxing 5 Wins (4 (T)KO's, 1 Decision), 1 Loss, 0 Draw
MMA 2 wins, 2 losses.

None of those records actually show a 'legend'. The boxing record doesn't show him quite as you show either.

If you want a legend try John Wayne Parr. 99 Wins (45 KOs), 33 losses, 1 draw or Crocop when he was kickboxing, Peter Aerts, Ernesto Hoost etc etc.

Er no, we don't train in boxing gyms, there's a lot wrong with that statement! You don't know much about MMA then.

I know of plenty MMA guys who train boxing in boxing gyms.

Latest Discussions