Boxing One-two

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
. FWIW, I've tried looking into what punches cause what % of knockouts, and similar data in the past with no luck. It's weird to me since they take data from each match, but somehow no one (as far as I can tell) has done any sort of mass analysis of that data. Or if they have, they're keeping it secret. If you (or anyone else) could find that data I'd appreciate it.

@Acronym So just for clarity, for the jab to account for the KO, does that mean the jab has to land? If I throw a jab and he ducks into my uppercut, does that mean it accounts for the KO? What about if I hit with a jab, he stumbles, then I follow up with a combo that results in a KO? Or a 4-5 combo where a job is anywhere involved? I'm fine with any use of account, just want to make sure we're all on the same page for that.

There is UFC stats on what causes the most stoppages but very generic stats such as submission or strike

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is UFC stats on what causes the most stoppages but very generic stats such as submission or strike
Yeah, I've seen those, but they're not quite what I'm looking for. Plus those stats also don't go into the level of detail that I want.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
it wouldnt be the hardest thing to access all the heavy weight championship fights since 1970s and watch them, with an eye on the lead up to any kbock out, but are you including only spark out on the floor or tkos

it becomes pyramidicaly more difficult if you included all weight devisions and non championship fights at elite level( and there may not be film of the undercard,) that sounds like half a life times work, which is possibly why no one has bothered ?
For me it would be including TKOs as well. And yeah, it'd be a lot of work, which is why I haven't done it. But I know those stats are taken, which means that they should be recorded somewhere, and if they are then you should be able to do some data analysis.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jobo was the one starting this.
Yeah, but he's freely admitted he enjoys arguing.
To the topic at hand though, I'll give your video a watch tonight. Are you looking for feedback, discussion, have a question about it, or just general sharing?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hence why I replied: "this isn't tennis"
im not sure that tennis takes the time to record by hand the sequeence of strokes leading to a winning shot,

now chess matche always do, which is why their is a data base goibg back to the 1400s

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
im not sure that tennis takes the time to record by hand the sequeence of strokes leading to a winning shot,

now chess matche always do, which is why their is a data base goibg back to the 1400s

They do. There are statistics for each forehand and backhand winner in each match.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shot-by-shot stats – Heavy Topspin

Things get more interesting when we look at how these choices affect the likelihood of winning the point. On average, a woman faced with a makeable ball in her backhand corner has a 47.2% chance of winning the point. (For men, it’s 47.7%.) The serve has some effect on the potency those shots toward the backhand corner. If the makeable ball was a service return–presumably weaker than the average groundstroke–the probability of winning the point is 48.2%. If the makeable ball is one shot later, an often-aggressive “serve-plus-one” shot, the chances of fighting back and winning the point are only 46.3%. It’s not a huge difference, but it is a reminder that the context of any given shot can affect these probabilities.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
and the shots that preceded it? coz that what your referabcing in boxing

There are no combination shots in tennis.. You don't feint a backhand and then throw a forehand

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are no combination shots in tennis.. You don't feint a backhand and then throw a forehand
you feint go forward ir back or left or right
you feint hittibg the ball hard and do a drop shot, you feint hitting it down the line and then hitting cross court, you feint do an over head shot and then ket it bounce and yes ove seen people feint a back hand and then hit it with a fore arm

there a lot of feintibg in tenis, and yes there are combination shots in tennis, a serve/ volley for instanc, is a combination, but then so is a serve drop shot,, but then left fight left, so yes combinations

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
you feint go forward ir back or left or right
you feint hittibg the ball hard and do a drop shot, you feint hitting it down the line and then hitting cross court, you feint do an over head shot and then ket it bounce and yes ove seen people feint a back hand and then hit it with a fore arm

there a lot of feintibg in tenis, and yes there are combination shots in tennis, a serve/ volley for instanc, is a combination, but then so is a serve drop shot,, but then left fight left, so yes combinations
maybe getting confused with fencing?
tumblr_lx9jb1SPMr1qdrpdr540.gif

Latest Discussions