Boxing in self defence?

Curlykarateka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How effective is boxing in self defence? I know little about the style. Obviously a boxer has the edge over some average Joe in the opening stages, what happens if the fight goes to the ground. I can't help but wonder if the lack of grappling makes it less effective a self defense style. My style, Goju has a solid mix of wrestling and striking, which I believe makes it very effective in a street fight. How does boxing stand up? Please be patient with me.

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
[video=youtube_share;GJxbKjtB5uE]http://youtu.be/GJxbKjtB5uE[/video]

The only problem when using boxing for self defense, is the damage it can do to your own fists.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Boxing in my opinion is one of the most effective styles trained today for self defense. Now before anyone jumps me verbally for this statement let explain it.

1. Any style is effective if trained properly. I don't care if we're talking boxing, aikido, TKD... All are effective, if trained to be used in the way you would need to use it for self defense. If you don't train for self defense you won't be able to use it as effectively.

2. I am not claiming boxing is better than any art from a technical standpoint. Far from it. It has its definate drawbacks the same as any other style. One of the most obvious drawbacks is they generally don't train to grapple or stop someone from taking them to the ground like other styles do.

So what did I mean by my statement? It's very simple. Boxers train to hit quickly and effectively while guarding from similar attacks. Most fights I have seen or been in against thugs on the street, the thugs don't kick too much. And the ones that do generally aren't too effective and likely just watch UFC and think they can fight like a trained MMA fighter.
This means a trained boxer can deal with this threat effectively. Now of course there are exceptions to this, which is why I said most and not all.
Now keep in mind that a boxer trains to actually hit and stop from getting hit in the ring. It is a full contact sport. So it translates well to actually using it to defend themselves.

Boxing has been used as the base for a few systems such as Krav Maga. It is common for boxers to cross train as well, especially now with MMA being so popular. So it's easy to train something like BJJ to become effective in grappling and defense.

So yes, boxing can be very effective for self defense. But once again, ANY style is effective if you are skilled and train it for self defense.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How effective is boxing in self defence? I know little about the style. Obviously a boxer has the edge over some average Joe in the opening stages, what happens if the fight goes to the ground. I can't help but wonder if the lack of grappling makes it less effective a self defense style. My style, Goju has a solid mix of wrestling and striking, which I believe makes it very effective in a street fight. How does boxing stand up? Please be patient with me.
Didnt watch the youtube video, since i never trust YT to prove a point about a martial arts...but I also believe any martial art can be effective. If youre a boxer, as long as you can use it too your advantage, youre fine. If youre a grappler, or mixed same thing. if you have a weapon, once again, same thing. In self defense, the important thing is knowing how and when to use your tools, not what tools they may be.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the fight goes to the ground, hell fight on the ground.
Your system of choice is neither the peak nor nadir of what you are capable of.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Didnt watch the youtube video, since i never trust YT to prove a point about a martial arts...but I also believe any martial art can be effective. If youre a boxer, as long as you can use it too your advantage, youre fine. If youre a grappler, or mixed same thing. if you have a weapon, once again, same thing. In self defense, the important thing is knowing how and when to use your tools, not what tools they may be.

Honestly kempodisciple you should watch it just to marvel at the mans skill. It was a thing of beauty to behold. Ya it does not prove anything about a martial art. I could post up James Toney getting owned in 10 seconds by Randy Couture in the UFC.

Janina

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If the fight goes to the ground, hell fight on the ground.
Your system of choice is neither the peak nor nadir of what you are capable of.

In that case, I think, the most useful technique is to be capable to adapt your style to changing situations. Boxing as close distance is definitely a great self defence method, but on the ground Judo or Wrestling skills may be more useful. As my opinion to the original question I think that Boxing is a great way to practice ones self defence skills, but I personally believe in flexibility as fighter so I would not value one system over others when talking about martial arts and self defence.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
In that case, I think, the most useful technique is to be capable to adapt your style to changing situations. Boxing as close distance is definitely a great self defence method, but on the ground Judo or Wrestling skills may be more useful. As my opinion to the original question I think that Boxing is a great way to practice ones self defence skills, but I personally believe in flexibility as fighter so I would not value one system over others when talking about martial arts and self defence.
Of course - The important thing is that you dont need to do Judo or Wrestle to be able to do that :)

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I read a Bruce Lee quote that was something like this "all other things being equal (similar tools, athleticism, size, etc.) the fighter who can control the timing, tempo, and distance will win". Because of the relative simplicity of boxing (no kicks, throws, etc.) I think boxers end up having a real good grasp on these three concepts. I saw a similar video as the one posted above where a boxer fended off a number of attackers by punching and pivoting--always taking on the lead attacker and using his footwork so as not to get surrounded. I think boxing is an excellent foundation to build on. I think high school wrestling is also an excellent foundation for pretty much the same reasons.

KingDiesel

White Belt
Reaction score
boxing is great as a stand alone stand up system or a compliment to another style so either way you look at it you cant go wrong

boxing has proven itself for centuries

VT_Vectis

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Mate, there's a reason organised crime bosses from London, U.K to New York would use boxers as there enforcers, heavies and bodyguards... They can throw it down whether in the ring or on the street.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the opportunity two years ago to get some boxing training from the nephew of Fred Degerberg's first boxing instructor at the Degerberg Academy. I have to say the method of teaching the art that he had passed down to him was amazing. It made the art come alive as an actual art...as someone more interested in the Asian arts, and if I ever have the opportunity I would put boxing at the top of my list for future self-defense training.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah boxing is really complicated when you get into it. There are very good reasons good boxers beat bad ones.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

Here's the thing: a grappler will try to close the gap so a boxer's style is "useless," but a boxer will train to MAINTAIN that distance so he can stay in the fight. The same thing goes for someone who studies a kicking style. You will train to stay in a place where your range is effective. Just because you face a grappler doesn't mean you already lost.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing: a grappler will try to close the gap so a boxer's style is "useless," but a boxer will train to MAINTAIN that distance so he can stay in the fight. The same thing goes for someone who studies a kicking style. You will train to stay in a place where your range is effective. Just because you face a grappler doesn't mean you already lost.

Precisely what a boxer would do. Of course most street altercations result in the "handbags at dawn" situation. Even so, street fights are organic. Yeah okay through experience you watch the body line and shaping etc, but you don't have gentleman agreements with I am going to respect styles sort of thing. For me SD is all well and good, but the major factor comes down to if you can fight and have a fighting mentality. A street fighter will see the whole body as a target and will not refrain from being nasty. One thing for sure that irl, it will hurt no matter what SD is deployed imho.

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score

IMHO boxing is excellent for self defence.

In my albeit limited experience most real fights are over in seconds and a boxer's training to recognise and evade an incoming punch and hit back very hard are all you need in most real life situations, as it's not often a mugger or bar room bully is also a karate instructor or MMA champion.

Like the guy in the clip you can also take on multiple attackers better than a style that looks to take people to the ground and beat them with locks, holds, submissions etc.

That's just my 2p.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good striking is kind of a super weapon in self defence.

Latest Discussions