Boxing as a Martial Art

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

Does anyone here train their Boxing as a martial art? If so, what kind of things do you work on apart from the usual sport-related training?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I haven't trained specifically in boxing for years, but I boxed for many years and tend to use my hands more from boxing than from Karate (depending) but, at heart, I'm a Karateka....who boxes a lot.

If I understand your question - I utilize footwork, in-fighting, and uppercutting from boxing for self defense purposes. I'd like to say I utilize slipping and bobbing - but, unfortunately, I tend to leave them in the gym when you know what hits the fan. Stress, I guess.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I train in boxing as part of my mma. It is a good tool to train scenarios.

for example i have done it in restraints training where you throw gloves on a guy and then get him.

it is a good scenario tool.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When boxing, like training or having a session with a mate (which I don't do to much anymore due to be being old) but I favoured the left jab, light or heavy, and the straight or right cross. Slipping not so much, but bobbing yeah. The rest just fits in with what I have dubbed fluid self defense.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I haven't trained specifically in boxing for years, but I boxed for many years and tend to use my hands more from boxing than from Karate (depending) but, at heart, I'm a Karateka....who boxes a lot.

If I understand your question - I utilize footwork, in-fighting, and uppercutting from boxing for self defense purposes. I'd like to say I utilize slipping and bobbing - but, unfortunately, I tend to leave them in the gym when you know what hits the fan. Stress, I guess.

depends how you fight. If you are in the pocket trying to street in elbows and stuff. You have to have pretty special timing to duck and weave.

otherwise there is an idea that boxing head movement is reactive. And a lot of it isn't. A lot is prearranged for when they should punch. And again because the timing is incredibly hard.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Otherwise ten second rounds work quite well. You can start with one person trying to get the sucker punch in and then go ten seconds.

i wouldn't go much longer because if you get on the wrong side of a flurry in this instance you don't want that to go longer than about ten seconds.

there are also fun competitions for guys to do minute rounds that are designed for people with limited boxing to try their ha d.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
depends how you fight. If you are in the pocket trying to street in elbows and stuff. You have to have pretty special timing to duck and weave.

otherwise there is an idea that boxing head movement is reactive. And a lot of it isn't. A lot is prearranged for when they should punch. And again because the timing is incredibly hard.

First four words say it all. "Depends how you fight."

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use some boxing drills with the students and some of the pad work ( ok I guess they are drills also)

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
For some reason a lot of people separate boxing and wrestling from the martial arts, I consider them martial arts perhaps more so than others. I'm still new to boxing buy it teaches a lot of useful things left out in other arts. Controlling the opponent with footwork proper body movement and where to position yourself based on the opponent are important skills. When i trained hapkido and Japanese jujitsu all of that was left out. We'd train our punches, kicks, and strikes in the air, sometimes in two man sets. Than we'd put on our cheap foam dipped gear and have at it, there was minimal instruction when it came to application. I could out brawl higher belts, not the case in boxing though.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mark Hatmaker has a couple of really good dvd's out on boxing.

One is called "The Complete Pugilist" and is about 10 hours worth of boxing. It covers all of the punches, both legal and illegal blows, movement, and lots of drills.

The other is called "Extreme Boxing", it covers all of the illegal blows and how to incorporate it into your regular boxing. This set covers just the illegal stuff and alot of time isn't spent on the sport side of boxing. The previous set covers both.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
For some reason a lot of people separate boxing and wrestling from the martial arts, I consider them martial arts perhaps more so than others. I'm still new to boxing buy it teaches a lot of useful things left out in other arts. Controlling the opponent with footwork proper body movement and where to position yourself based on the opponent are important skills. When i trained hapkido and Japanese jujitsu all of that was left out. We'd train our punches, kicks, and strikes in the air, sometimes in two man sets. Than we'd put on our cheap foam dipped gear and have at it, there was minimal instruction when it came to application. I could out brawl higher belts, not the case in boxing though.
Both are more martial art than 'Extreme Martial Arts' are; which are more gymnastics than martial art.
Boxing and Wrestling are as martial art as Judo, BJJ, and Muay Thai are.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both are more martial art than 'Extreme Martial Arts' are; which are more gymnastics than martial art.
Boxing and Wrestling are as martial art as Judo, BJJ, and Muay Thai are.

That is some assertion there. Can I ask, why do you place boxing in that bracket? Just curious to here an opposite viewpoint. You never know, I might learn something ;)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is some assertion there. Can I ask, why do you place boxing in that bracket? Just curious to here an opposite viewpoint. You never know, I might learn something ;)
In the bracket of being a martial art?
If Muay Thai and Judo as martial sports are martial arts isn't Boxing and Wrestling both also martial sports?
Both were born from practicing forms of combat without using weapons. Militaries through time and world have used both fisted fighting and wrestling as a forms of training.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My two cents goes like this - anything that trains fighting is a Martial Art. Wrestling and boxing sure as heck do.

I've know my fair share of collegiate and professional athletes, "sportsman" if you will. As fit, big or fast as they might be, if they haven't trained in fighting, they have little chance.

Let's keep in mind, gentlemen, fighting is what we all do. Not what sportsman do.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the bracket of being a martial art?
If Muay Thai and Judo as martial sports are martial arts isn't Boxing and Wrestling both also martial sports?
Both were born from practicing forms of combat without using weapons. Militaries through time and world have used both fisted fighting and wrestling as a forms of training.

Well not really. Boxing only has set skill set in a basic context. Yeah, kick boxing can come. There is the difference for me personally. Boxing two limbs, kick boxing all limbs. To me that is a martial art, symmetry. Boxing, pure fisty cuffs. But a deadly one at that, but still limited in a wider context. Boxing does not tap into any enhancements. That is why I suspect have an ever ready eye on Muay Thia.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well not really. Boxing only has set skill set in a basic context. Yeah, kick boxing can come. There is the difference for me personally. Boxing two limbs, kick boxing all limbs. To me that is a martial art, symmetry. Boxing, pure fisty cuffs. But a deadly one at that, but still limited in a wider context. Boxing does not tap into any enhancements. That is why I suspect have an ever ready eye on Muay Thia.

Kyudo wouldn’t be a martial art by that definition?
Laijutsu?
Iaido?
How about Sikaran a kicking only FMA?

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Boxing offers one of the most technical approaches to punching in all of martial arts, yes it's highly specialized but it's still an art. If some one else had a better approach to punching I'm sure they'd be handing boxers their lunch. Boxing is both martial (of war) hence punching people in the face and an art. The art comes from the different approaches to boxing, the technical puncher/boxer, the brawler, the long distance fighter, the Philly shell ect are all different expressions of the same art.There are plenty of highly specialized systems out there and no one seems to see their specialization as a reason to not consider them an ma. I'd be more likely to argue that boxing is more of an ma than the systems that put the artistic before the martial. Aikido is guided by a philosophy that frowns upon war and things martial, it's more artistic than martial. Same for tai chi as its largely practiced for health benefit rather than fighting ability. However, both have quite martial applications. If a system is both martial and an art than the label martial art is applicapable. In curious why one would argue otherwise.