bowing to buddah variations

C

Castle

Hello fellow Kenpo practicioners,

Due to the elbow strike used in A version, Kneeling prayer or bowing to buddah (I have heard both names used) is better suited to a knee strike because of the range. The B version will work better against a rising front kick. Circle of China, Kneeling tiger and Prayer of Death may all be considered variations of Kneeling Prayer since Kneeling Prayer is learned before any of these other techniques.

Kenpo17

Green Belt
Reaction score
This technique starts with you on your left knee, left knee being down. Now, the attack is for a step-through low kick with your right leg to the head. As you are on your right knee, with your right arm you cut acrossed your body to block the on coming kick, then as you shuffle in, still on your right knee, you elbow to the stomach if you can, if not elbow to the groin area, and as you bring your right elbow down, get your left hand under the attackers groin and with your right hand, make a fist and smack down on the attackers groin, and meet your left hand. On the hammer-fist down on the groin, you go all the way through the groin area and meet your left hand which will remain open. That is the base technique. Someone else will have to explain the extension, because I can't think of it off the top of my head, and I don't have anyone here to be my uke while I try to figure out how to explain it. Hope I did a good job explaining the base technique though.

tigdra

Green Belt
Reaction score
I learned bowing to buddha for a right knee and the technique starts down on one knee but we execute a downward forearm immediatly followed by an inward block almost like making "J" letter in the air. then we follow with the claw, upward elbow, groin snatch and hammer sandwich.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
In conversations with my instructors they say that in their conversations with Ed Parker that the techniques were in no particular order and that the forms were the real study of motion.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
The techniques work or don't work because of the application or lack of application of principles, not because the books or any person say they do/don't. So if a technique won't work figure out the WHY and do what fits within the principles of motion to make it work as necessary. The WHO said this and WHAT'S written doesn't matter if the principles that say WHY are adhered to.

or people really don't understand the system and change things to "make" them work when they really don't need to be changed

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
or people really don't understand the system and change things to "make" them work when they really don't need to be changed
Or maybe some of what we see as "changes" were really in the system before it became 154 base techs + 96 extensions?

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Or maybe some of what we see as "changes" were really in the system before it became 154 base techs + 96 extensions?

No. I disagree. I have seen and still am learning how the forms were laid out and why things were done they were done. I am not saying you can't do Bowing to Buddha by changing "your" angle. But why? You learn in Swinging Pendulum that standing in the line of attack for the roundhouse kick is a bad idea. The power the roundhouse kick generates is phenominal. So armed with that information, why would you attempt to take on a roundhouse kick while on one knee? Are you willing to play the action/re-action game?

So maybe I should have re-worded my intial comment to James' statement. Because I partially agree with him.

So if a technique won't work figure out the WHY and do what fits within the principles of motion to make it work as necessary. The WHO said this and WHAT'S written doesn't matter if the principles that say WHY are adhered to.

I agree that practioners should figure out why too. I just go about it differently.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No. I disagree. I have seen and still am learning how the forms were laid out and why things were done they were done. I am not saying you can't do Bowing to Buddha by changing "your" angle. But why? You learn in Swinging Pendulum that standing in the line of attack for the roundhouse kick is a bad idea. The power the roundhouse kick generates is phenominal. So armed with that information, why would you attempt to take on a roundhouse kick while on one knee? Are you willing to play the action/re-action game?
I suppose we don't always get the luxury of deciding where we'll be when an attacker throws a kick. Maybe we'll be on one knee, maybe we won't.

We don't have the luxury of deciding what the attacker will throw, be it a roundhouse kick, front kick, ax kick, etc.

We do have the option to move somewhere. Maybe a angle change to brace against the roundhouse kick, but like Mr. Miyagi says "the best block is to not be there"...so maybe we move closer to the attacker, too close for the roundhouse to be effective (as in Calming the Storm). So, given the option, we're probably going to move somewhere. It seems formulaic to me in almost every tech: Move (your body), block and attack...whether done serially or in parallel, it's the same formula. So I agree that we will move, just a question of where.

But what does happen if we're down on one knee one day and our option to move is severly limited? What then?

madeku

White Belt
Reaction score
iv always worked a variation it as an offensive technique. as in you're down tying your shoe and someone comes up, you just got suckerpunched and you're down on your knee(s).

left hand checks/strikes the person's right leg (assuming its his lead leg) above the knee, right upward elbow, and the oh so fun claw back knuckle. left hand circles around clockwise around the opponent's right knee, and pulls while you push to the bladder with the right hand. if you happen to be on both knees, bring the right foot up so you have stability while you push. (at this point you could insert a backknuckle to their left leg ala dance of death) the right hand circles under their right leg, and passes it to your right right side, rolling them over. get up and run, or stomp some ***.

did it on someone who didnt tell me they forgot a cup.. not pretty. funny, but not pretty.

Latest Discussions