Book Reviews

T

Ty K. Doe

Just thought maybe some of you might have some martial arts reading material you might want to recommend or advise against.

Here's one from me.

Beyond Kicking by Jean Frenette

I ordered this book because it claims to be a Complete guide to stretching and kicking. This book is anything but complete. Each chapter has only a one page commentary on common-sense issues pertaining to that chapter, with the rest of it being pictures of things you learn your first few classes as a white belt. This book is nowhere near a complete guide to stretching because it skips any basic stretching techniques yet offers a chapter on "Super Stretching." This book offers no advice on proper stretching techniques or what techniques are detrimental or causes injuries. The author goes from warm-ups to stretches that require two people to rip you apart.

The book does offer chapters on weight training and aerobic work outs. But, if you've ever had a gym class you'll know the basic, curl, benchpress and leg curls. To sum up the aerobic excercise, basically go get yourself a stationary bike or stairmaster.

This book shares no benefits or explanations for any excercise or stretch. The author just claims this what he does in his workout then gives several pictures of himself doing the excercise.

For anyone interested, I would have to advise against this book.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever read Tae Kwon Do by General Choi? Not the encylopedias either, his first TKD book. A good book on stretching is Dynamic Stretching and Kicking by Bill Wallace.

:asian:

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

There used to be a really good magazine that I think was put out by Black Belt Magazine. It was called MA Training. Does anyone know if it is still in circulation or if it died off. I haven't seen an issue in a long time.

Latest Discussions