Boogers the new healthy snack!

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Mucophagy (literally mucus-eating, also referred as picking one's nose and eating it) is the consumption of the nasal mucus, boogers, and other detritus obtained from nose-picking.

Modern scientific research suggests that mucophagy seems to be a natural and even healthy activity, which exposes the digestive system to bacteria accumulated in the mucus, thereby helping to strengthen the overall immune system.

The body even naturally encourages the formation of a dense, salty coating to the boogers to make them more palatable. There is no other known reason for the high salt content in the mucus in the nose.

In mankind's caveman times - it would not have been strange to spend an evening sitting around with friends and sampling each other's boogers. It sounds disgusting - but its simply part of our instinctual primate grooming behaivors that have only recently been repressed through collective social training.

Studies done on dozens of feral human children found in the wild and raised by animals (and possessing no knowledge of modern social mores) show that they all spent at least a part of each day carefully clearing out their nostrils and consuming the boogers. It SOUNDS bestial and ignorant to us today - but Mother Nature (or God) always has a very good reason for putting non-learned, instinctual behaivor like this into our brains from the get go...

It has been speculated that the reason why humans have become so susceptible to viruses and bacterial infections in the last 500 years or so is indeed, because we have lost this beneficial, immune system strengthening behaivor.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/135709/benefits_of_boogereating.html?cat=5

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Where do you find this ****? :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I can still do it at stop lights, and feel good about it.
icon7.gif

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks. I had a belly laugh reading this article. I guess you're never too old for some potty-type humor. :)

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My thanks to the OP, this thread has been extremely helpful for keeping me on my diet plan today :p

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
while there may be some truth to this, i would be careful as one could infect the inner mucus membrane of the nose. Infections in the head,virus infections for example, are the most dangerous and can potentially spread throughout the nervous system if not directly put the brain at risk.
Furthermore, one can contract really nasty worms and illnesses simply from not washing hands or eating contaminated food, so it's not only nosepicking that is risky. common sense.
Back when i used to work at a metal factory, i noticed that when i returned home to shower and clean up, i found that the metalic dust in the air had so thouroughly coated the inner of my nose, that my(excuse this)boogers where completely black. Also when i would travel by jeepney in manila, similar thing. Got me thinking about what happens when you breath in the air at nasty public bathrooms. I started pulling up my turtleneck over my nose...

Also, if you have an flue or infection of sorts, if you eat yellow ***** boogers....nasty- you are practically making yourself sick again. Good for the immune system, maybe, if you dont simply make yourself sick again or prolong the flue a bit...?

So i'm not really saying good or bad, but i'd like to be aware about what i am putting into my body. Also, in japanese, the word for boogers is hanakuso- which translates to nose ****. That's sortof another thing that makes me think that eating boogers is not so desirable.

probably is natural. seems that many if not most kids naturally eat their snot. Funny, dogs are even really keen to eat anything that comes from them, including eyeboogers.

what a topic though.
I heard the church of satan or some other satanic community of america believe that everything that has to do with the human body and it's functions is of satan, and for them satan is good(?!)....
****, that makes this post satanically good from that perspective, but i would argue that such things as bodily functions or selfesteem are not satanic at all. sorry if i'm blending threads a bit...

j

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends on the back of the sofa.

Latest Discussions