Bong Soo Han and his Style

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by greendragon
Ron,
Good to hear an old Hapkidoist on here.. What was it like working out with GM Choi in L.A. in the early years? I have the old black belt magazine of GM Choi demonstrating Hapkido in I think,, 1965... cool article...

What did you guys work on the most Joint locks? Kicks? etc... I would be very interested to know since GM Choi was one of the very first and a founding members of the old KHA, I have heard his technique was awesome and that he was a fighter,correct me if I am wrong but I also heard that he was quite the fighter in Korea before he left,, that is awesome bro...
Michael Tomlinson
4th Dan Sin Moo Hapkido
3rd Dan Korea Hapkido Assoc.
3rd Dan Moo Ye Kwan
zdragon.bitbytenibble.com

Like most Asian instructors of the day, his English was limited and he taught a lot by demonstration, making him very active in classes.

He was without a doubt the most fantastic kicker I have ever seen in my lifetime. He did things that defied belief, and was blindingly fast in everything he did which appeared effortless.

He had a method of training that included stacks of carboard squares always available in the corner of the room. Everything you did was focused through a piece of cardboard held by a training partner. Kicks, punches, strikes, sweeps, everything. He always said, "Go through, go through, no stop."

He emphasized full power practice and expressed his displeasure with tournament competition. "Technique no good," he always said. Even though his young assistant, Henry Lewe competed ocassionally with some success, he thought competition ruined the art. A sentiment echoed by Ed Parker and just about every other "real" master I came in contact with.

Bong Soo Han, who was more articulate in English later would tell me, "Tounaments make you modify your techniqes for scoring and safety, and takes away from your fighting skills."

Ed Parker would always tell me, "What you should do is what you would do. If you are not doing what you would really do, then what are you doing?"

Anyway Choi's classes included everything. Jiujitsu-like wrist locks and throws integrated with full power kicking and striking non stop, with multiple attacker exercises thrown in. An excellent model for his art who did eveything he asked you to do ten times over and ten times better.

Sadly my other instructor's prophacy (Ed Parker) came true. He told me those type of kicks were not good for the body and in time would take its toll. Like many others who specialized in what Parker called "movie Kicks," Choi destroyed his hip flexors and joints and was on crutches at his restaurant the last time I saw him after having double hip replacement surgery in the late seventies.

Ed Parker was a good friend of Bong Soo and they even did a movie together, (Kill the Golden Goose) and advised Han to limit doing those kinds of kicks. Fortunately Han has avoided the same fate and is still growing strong and looking good the last time I saw him a couple of years ago.

A great experience all in all, and the study of the "locking throwing" componant of
Hap Ki Do helped me tremendously in my Kenpo and other arts I explored.

greendragon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ron,
That's some great info.. thank you sir for sharing some of your training and martial history with us,, very cool...

I know what you mean about those kicks,, I am 45 years old now and I tend to opt for practicing the low kicks and much more hand techniques these days,,, I remember when we used to kick like maniacs back in the 70's, I'm sure you remember starching your dobok so you could get that loud pop when you locked those kicks out,,, who knew huh,,, now I am more comfortable stretching and hanging upside down on my inversion table after a good workout....
Michael Tomlinson

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ron,
That's some great info.. thank you sir for sharing some of your training and martial history with us,, very cool...

I know what you mean about those kicks,, I am 45 years old now and I tend to opt for practicing the low kicks and much more hand techniques these days,,, I remember when we used to kick like maniacs back in the 70's, I'm sure you remember starching your dobok so you could get that loud pop when you locked those kicks out,,, who knew huh,,, now I am more comfortable stretching and hanging upside down on my inversion table after a good workout....
Michael Tomlinson

See how smart we get with age? If only the newbies could figure that out and listen a tad more. The cool thing is we figured it out and stopped. Quite a few have had the surgery including Chuck Norris and Bill "Superfoot" Wallace, along with Gene and George Takahashi from Shotokan, and quite a few Kenpo people who spcialized in "kicking." We "popped" our uniforms when we kicked because our teachers did. Who knew?

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sirs,

I just wanted to thank you for the history you shared here with us all. I for one really enjoy hearing about the "ole glory days" of American martial arts.

By His Grace:asian:

OP
H

hapkiyoosool

I agree with not doing "movie" kicks. In a real situation thay really aren't goin to help you unles you are really fast and the guy stands still long enough for the slow motion to take effect. ^_^

I was always taught to keep your feet on the ground where they belong. Keep balance. I wouldn't punch you on the foot. (Would I?, Hmmmm)

I had the privilage of growing up in Korea and learning from an instructor who studied from GM Choi, Young-Sool(the founder). If we kicked high, he would knock our feet out from under us and ask us how we feel being dead. He surely did not play. I am honored to have had such great training. Our website has great information about our school history. (our webite, great history, our school). Biased? Maybe......LOL.

I hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving and had the chance to share with someone special. My wife and I are all alone in the US, except for our students who fed us at their house. I found out I don't like Turkey. ^_^ Honey baked ham is good though.

OP
R

rana_hapkido_panama2002

Hi and be blessed Mike and all that read this thread :

I, Ramon Navarro, Song Moo HapKiDo teacher now for 26 years and can tell you that HapKiDo is completely for the street. It can be done like a sport thought it just restricts the complete art and its function this way.

HapKiDo is what all the other arts do plus harder strikes and kicks plus it chould really have no forms/PoomSe/hyung/Kata etc. this is because HapKiDo do not sort of saying, have any stances since it just goes through them. Depending on the situation it is just an art of self defense that is capable of going from one technique to the next with having to restart its flow. It is widelly fluid and continuous. it is also made so you can attack and not just defend. Of course counter as much as control or distroy your opponent as to say that you do not want to fight even if they call you a coward !

This art is based on flexibility, stretching, Kicks of all tipes imaginable, blocks and punches as strikes plus falls and acrobatics that are functional in a self defense situation plus all tipes of techniques like strikes, breaks, throws, sweeps and being peacefull is its ideal.

HAP

I agree with Chris all Hapkido is not created equally,, from what I know about Bong Soo Han's style of Hapkido is that it is more kick orientated and less joint lock orientated,, he is a GREAT martial artist. There is also Kim's Hapkido in Los Angeles with quite a few dojangs,, my buddy Les Connard has a dojang in Monrovia, a suburb of Los Angeles and he is an awesome teacher and fighter, his Hapkido is more fight orientated,, check him out if you get a chance...
Mike Tomlinson

OP
D

Dragongup

I study under one of Grandmaster Hans Blackbelt instructors, Master Koskella. Grandmaster Han is 9th dan in Hapkido, one of the highest ranking in Hapkido to date. He doesn't really emphasize kicking more than joint locks, he balances his techniques, joint locks and kicking. He teaches throws as well, and the cane techniques he teaches are fantastic. Right now I'm a green belt in Hapkido, and of all the styles I've learned his Hapkido is my favorite. Thanks,

OP
D

dosandojang

I started in HKD under one of his Santa Monica Black Belts named Rudy Rodriguez back in 1980 (I am 4th Dan now). So you can say my HKD roots are built in Bong Soo Han IHF style of HKD...

OP
D

dosandojang

I also am a member of: www.simmudo.com
. I plan on training with GM Song as much as I can, in his blend of TKD, HKD and Yudo (Sim Mu Do)....

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
dosandojang said:
Ron of the BKF?????

Yep! Although I haven't been "with them" since Cliff Stewart, Jerry Smith, and I founded the group over thirty years ago.

OP
D

dosandojang

Master Chapel, this is what Stanley told me to tell you:

Master Arce, please Tell Dr. Chapel, Stanley says Hi! I learned from both Ron Chapel and Cliff Stewart, both used to teach out of my school in Inglewood haven't been in touch with either since my school closed.

KenpoStan

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I studied Aikido with Larry Novick, who before teaching Aikido, studied with Master Han in Santa Monica and was a brown belt. Larry is usually very critical of most martial arts instructors, but when I asked him about Han, he said that without question, Han was just unbelievable, and was easily one of the finest martial artists he had ever seen.

One of Han's senior students now shares a dojo in Santa Monica with Larry, and each instructor teaces their own art. Go to www.aceaikido.com (and click on the link to "location") if you want info on the Hapkido classes there.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bong Soo Han also rocked in Billy Jack's second movie.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You mean of course Trial of Billy Jack? As technicaly speaking Billy Jack was the second Billy Jack Movie, with Born Losers being first ;) And I sooo second that! (Did I just type sooo? Oh boy:rolleyes:)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jame's.
You are correct sir!!The Trial of Billy Jack that featured Bong Soo Han was in fact the third movie with Born Losers being the first..To quote the current generation "my bad"..What's make my embarrasment worse is that I own the whole Billy Jack collection..

Train Hard
Stay Safe