Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DoxN4cer said:
Nicely said.

I agree with you to a point, Rich. While Balintawak is primarily a stick fighting system, IMO, the root... no, the heart and soul of the FMA (generally speaking) lies in the blade; regardless of the preferred style one might train in. The stick represents the blade; and the transition from stick to blade is made rather easily, but not by everyone. There are some subtle, yet very imprtant differences between the two.

Managing/monitoring the stick is relatively easy compared to doing the same to a hand that is weilding a blade, and you certainly don't have he "comfort zone" of grasping the weapon when facing a blade as you would when facing an opponent armed with a stick. It's like sticking your hand into a blender if the defender isn't versed in blade craft. There are also the differences in footwork, body shifting and angling that are similar, they are very different in very subtle ways.

v/r

Tim Kashino

Tim,

Yes, Blade work and the translation from stick to blade is the heart and soul of FMA in general. There are some that concentrated mroe on empty hand and grappling as well, I was just speaking from a point of view, that there are no absolutes that I know of. Like I said I did not mean any disrespect.

I also agree that the blade is much more dangerous than a stick, and not everyone gets the translations from one to the other.

:asian:

sungkit

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Tim,

Thank you for your response and for the PM. I appreciate it and there was no ill feeling in my questioning. Thank you.

The blade has always been a part of modfern arnis. I cannot talk for the USA, but from what I have seen in the Philippines and what Snr Master Roland Dantes has taught, it was always stressed and taught to the senior before Professor Remy moved to the USA.

Guro Roland has nothing but praise for the great work and research that Bram has dedicated to the edged weapon and bolo aspects of modern arnis. They met in germany and keep in touch. From what my teacher has told me, Bram will definitely be coming to the Philippines in 2006. While talking to the Senior Masters the other day, they were discussing the work Bram has done on the bolo and they were all excited about meeting him. Some of these men like Roland Dantes, Vicente Sanchez, Rodel Dagooc were the ones whowere teaching the bolo battalion and other military units here and as such, they are looking forward to meeting Bram and seeing his work.

sungkit

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Tim,

Thank you for your response and for the PM. I appreciate it and there was no ill feeling in my questioning. Thank you.

The blade has always been a part of modern arnis. I cannot talk for the USA, but from what I have seen in the Philippines and what Snr Master Roland Dantes has taught, it was always stressed and taught to the seniors before Professor Remy moved to the USA.

Guro Roland has nothing but praise for the great work and research that Bram has dedicated to the edged weapon and bolo aspects of modern arnis. They met in germany and keep in touch. From what my teacher has told me, Bram will definitely be coming to the Philippines in 2006. While talking to the Senior Masters the other day, they were discussing the work Bram has done on the bolo and they were all excited about meeting him. Some of these men like Roland Dantes, Vicente Sanchez, Rodel Dagooc were the ones who were teaching the bolo battalion and other military units here and as such, they are looking forward to meeting Bram and seeing his work.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
Hi All,

I watched the new Bram Frank's Presas Jungle Bolo DVDs last night. George Denson covered them fairly well in his post so I'll take a different tack in this review.

What Bram does is go straight to the roots, historically and technically, of Modern Arnis. Many of the actions Prof. Presas made which, on the surface, students didn't get or failed to make sense of, are explained in this series. Much of Modern Arnis is based on the blade work of his grandfather and uncle and this is what you see. Bram shows the Presas family bolos and his trainers are made according to specs. An interesting note is that he makes the distinction between agricultural bolos and jungle fighting bolos. His bolo is in the second catagory.

DVD #1 goes into the history and relevence of the blade to todays Modern Arnis. Bram and Amy demonstrate basics of the blade and what happens to areas you cut. There's a bit of functional anatomy lessons in there.

DVD #2 goes into Anyos 1-4 with a blade viewpoint and then variations off of the bolo techniques. What I like most about this DVD set is that with Bram giong over the important points (and differences) of blade work, one can use the data as starting pints to continue your own research. This is vitally important to anyone who has only done stick work (which comprises the bulk of Modern Arnis players in the US). While he doesn't need it, I endorse the hell out of this series. This is a missing piece of the pie for those with mostly cane orientation in the FMA.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

PS- You can't beat the price either. You can get them on the CSSD/SD website.
Are these DVD's dealing with single or double blade?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Are these DVD's dealing with single or double blade?

The Presas Bolo is a single edge. The back edge can be used as a blunt striking tool for the up and down, abiniko, palis-palis, and other translations, and the point is designed so one can execute a "back-cut" from ocho-ocho, and other translations.

I don't know if Bram covers the uses of the back of the blade or not...

This is just my take anyhow.

:asian:

E

Emptyglass

Just got my Bolo DVDs. Will review this evening.

Rich Curren

E

Emptyglass

Hi all:

Well, I just finished watching DVD 1 of the 2 DVD Presas Bolo Set by Master Bram Frank. So far it is really good stuff. Part 1 explains the CONCEPTS behind the use of the bolo and its relationship to the techniques taught by Grandmaster Remy A. Presas using the stick. There is alot of stuff there that I was always aware of because I listened and thought about what the Professor taught as well as practiced, but there are also gems there which I had not considered. Master Frank is an Arnis scientist. He puts forth his theories in ordered fashion, presents evidence to back his thesis and provides examples of his proofs to verify his findings. He also does not shove his opinions down your throat but presents you with options to consider. Very well done indeed.

The video is shot very clearly and with good angles and lighting which make the techniques easy to follow. Sound quality is nice and clear except for the occasional mike burst which comes with the belt mike package Master Frank uses with the motions he is demonstrating.

Master Frank covers trainers and training safety with the blade, the Presas bolo history, modified 12 angles of attack for blade work, modified striking targets with edged tools in mind, upward vs. downward cutting, flat vs. edge blocking and parrying, defenses against angles one and two and a variety of common Modern Arnis disarms, disarm motions and disarm concepts which most if not all Modern Arnis practicioners will recognize.

Running time on the first DVD is about 50 minutes and it is packed with good information in that time.

Review of DVD 2 forthcoming.

Interested parties should contact George Denson at [email protected] to order. Price is $59 and includes shipping.

Rich Curren

E

Emptyglass

Hello again:

After watching the second volume of Master Bram Frank's Modern Arnis Bolo series I have to say that I believe there is going to be some serious re-evaluation of how Modern Arnis is taught and performed (in the USA at least) because of this series.

Volume 2 is actually longer than 1 (#1 was about 52 minutes) and contains the performance, explanation and partial translation of all 4 Modern Arnis Weapon Anyos. Never again will I refer to them as stick forms as that is an incomplete description. With the bolo, they really make a lot more sense to me. Master Bram also presents a 5th weapon anyo of his own invention which will be an excellent addition to any Modern Arnis practicioner's repetoire.

Each anyo is clearly explained from the front and the side and footwork, technique, and cutting/targeting information is related where appropriate.

Camera work and sound is excellent as in Volume 1.

Master Bram continues with an explanation of the concepts, differences, uses, and follow throughs of the umbrella and roof blocks with the bolo in mind.

I have to say that this very inexpensive for the value ($59 USD) DVD set has caused me to re-examine my Modern Arnis has taught me and to look at some techniques in a much different light. I can't recommend these DVDs highly enough and I personally believe that they should be a must for any Modern Arnis practicioner who wishes to understand the full scope of what Professor Remy A. Presas presented with Modern Arnis.

Interested parties can order here:

http://cssdsc.com/index.php?cPath=5&osCsid=78eca3998f759e18276c84cd34d8240a

If you order in the next 10 days, the shipping is free.(through 7/15/04).

Rich Curren

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the review!

I've always seen the second stick anyo as being very blade-oriented.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, to me they all seem blade oriented.

Also, as I recall, the Professor executed the forms with a blade in the 1980's tape.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I haven't learned the 4th anyo yet, but I find the first three flow very nicely with 2 blades. Just need to keep them a bit tighter.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
flatlander said:
I haven't learned the 4th anyo yet, but I find the first three flow very nicely with 2 blades. Just need to keep them a bit tighter.

Cool!!!

You notice all the crossada and sumbrada with the two blades?

Also try this for form 1, make the left hand action go slightly slower than the right.:)

Awesome stuff!!!

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have not purchased or seen the Bolo DVD's myself, but if he does as much work in the research and organization/quality of motion with it as he does with his knife/gunting work it can't be but good.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Cool!!!

You notice all the crossada and sumbrada with the two blades?

Also try this for form 1, make the left hand action go slightly slower than the right.:)

Awesome stuff!!!
What I've found is that as I work throught he Anyo's 1-3 (still don't know 4), my body turns with the flow of the movement. As my body turns, the hand on the "lead side" generally tends to extend out alittle further than the back hand. As in back hand is block/check, lead hand strikes/cuts/stabs. I keep the blade much tighter than I do the cane. I do the Anyos emptyhand along JKD trapping lines - very quick and tight, though every now and then I'll loosen them up a bit and do it more relaxed and flowing. When I go tight, there seem to be more atticking or offensive applications, where I could be doing joint locks, elbows and destructions. When I go looser, the applications tend to favour a more defensive mode, with more evading and throwing. I found a really nice counter to a leg shoot when I go loose.

Latest Discussions