Bokken Honored?

S

Sakimaru

I know that the Samurai Sword was honored and dearly taken care of. But was the bokken also 'honored'? Because I thought maybe since it was the weapon they trained with, it would be honored too.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think (may be wrong) that it was honored because of what it represents. I've seen a few iaido books where, even though it not a katana, its still treated as such. The placement, etc, is all predetermined.

Not too sure of more than that....its been a while since I've read those books.

:asian:

OP
D

Despairbear

Greetings,
I feel that you should always treat your bokken as if it where a real sword. It will give you a respect for the weapon that many people sadly lack. Also when you take up the live steel you should not have to re-learn how to handle it. Train as you fight......

Despair Bear

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

i believe it was honored but not as highly as a katana... in fact all boys when they reached the age of 12 i think were given a bokken appropriate to their size to begin training with until they turned 16 when they were given a live blade... so it would make sense that the bokken would be given some form of honor

OP
W

WaterCircleHarmony

I have my bokken on the mantle piece in my room 'cos it's really cool any way so i'm really proud of it :D

i'm just really wishing it was a live blade.:samurai: actually i'd probably hurt myself so i guess i better leave it to the people who know how to use a sword properly.

OP
T

tonbo

My understanding is that yes, the bokken was honored just as much as a katana in many cases.

The reality is that a bokken can kill, just as a katana can, and this was recognized by the samurai. If I remember correctly, Dave Lowry discusses this in his book on bokken. That is an excellent place to look. I think the book is even called "Bokken".

Musashi used one later on in life, as he had transcended using live blades--or so the rumor goes, anyway.

At any rate, when training with a bokken, yes.....treat it as a live blade. It is your training partner.....*your* partner.....and should be given that respect.

Peace--

OP
T

tonbo

Sakimaru, no problem. If you use it as a training tool, it probably *will* be scratched up. Hard to keep it pristine, if it is being used.....

Not a problem, though. If your bokken is seriously beat up, you might sand it down and re-stain/re-seal it. Also, treat it with a little linseed oil from time to time, to keep it from drying out.

If it is splintering, it is time to retire it. Buy a stand for it and set it in your training area, and refer to it fondly from time to time.

If you are not worried about that, continue to use it until it is starting to break up, then replace it.

Enjoy!!

Peace--

OP
S

Sakimaru

I see. I have another question. Well, I am not exactly a kenjutsuist. But anyways...what other kind of training do you do with the bokken besides the regular techniques done regularly? Because you said it might get scratched up when training...what do you mean by that?

OP
T

tonbo

There are three ways that you can use your bokken that I can think of:

1) Solo practice, where you are just going through forms and techniques in the air (no contact)

2) Partner practice, where you go through forms and techniques with a partner (blade on blade contact)

3) Solo "cutting" practice, where you make contact with a target (a tire, a heavy bag, etc.) to practice cutting form and to get used to contact

Both 2 and 3 will cause your bokken to get banged up, and 2 will more than 3 will. If you practice consistently with a partner, you will put wear on your blade fairly quickly, and if you have a particularly enthusiastic partner, you may go through bokkens fairly quickly.

I have a couple of bokken, ones that I would use for each type of practice. My solo practice tends to be done with a heavier bokken, which is a bit nicer than my beaters.

Peace--

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

At my school, we treat the bokken in the same respect that it is the katana. Even after the katana is recieved, it is still treated as such, as Tonbo has previously stated. Well put Tonbo.:asian:

OP
T

tonbo

Just coming back to this topic......

Where I used to study iai, we made it a very strong point that the bokken was to be treated as if it were a live blade, and that there should be no distinctions. It was to be handled like one, respected like one, and treated in all respects as if it were steel. This extended to allowing someone to look at your bokken; just as there are "rules" governing how you hand a blade to someone, or asking to see another's weapon, there were the same rules for the bokken.

Some of this is due to tradition, some is also due to a desire to keep focus and attention to detail. If you can observe the details with a bokken, then you should be able to keep them with a steel weapon.

I still "revere" my bokkens. I don't get 'em out and swing 'em around......I bow them in and use them as I feel they were meant to be used.....as a partner.

Peace--

Latest Discussions