Body Size?

Kevdak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forums and I have done a search but have come up empty. I am a big guy 6'3 275lbs and I am wondering if Ninjutsu is right for me. I have seen some videos of people doing back flips ect. I am just wondering if there are any others who are big and take Ninjutsu that can do these things?

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ive seen alot of the type of videos your talking about, and if the day comes that im told to do any of that stuff i know im gonna land on my head. I also believe that there is alot of practice (ALOT) to get to where those smaller young guys are.
My sensei is a pretty big guy. However I have just started training so i havent seen any of what he can (or cant) do.
How do YOU feel about being able to do that stuff? are you athletic at all? flexible?

I wish i could offer more info, but as i said im new and i dont want to speculate. Im sure someone with experience will be along shortly.

for the record im 5"10" bout 200, which i think would be a scaled down you.

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
oh yeah, have you tried visiting a dojo and asking the instructor how he/she feels?
It seems to me that it would be an easier decision in person, than a brief description online.

OP
Kevdak

Kevdak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I sent an email to a dojo that is less that 2 min by foot from my house, I will ask him how he feels about doing all that stuff.
*How do YOU feel about being able to do that stuff?*
* are you athletic at all? flexible?*
I don't really mind about doing it because it would be nice to learn some of that "witch craft" lol. I know right now I am not able to do it so I hope it will be okay.
I right now am not in my best shape of life. I use to be 250lbs, built like a tank, played football. Now I have some padding to me.. (growing moobs) not really. Thanks for your imput just the same.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forums and I have done a search but have come up empty. I am a big guy 6'3 275lbs and I am wondering if Ninjutsu is right for me. I have seen some videos of people doing back flips ect. I am just wondering if there are any others who are big and take Ninjutsu that can do these things?

I am big guy myself. I can't do back flips or those awesome handsprings, although rolls and pinwheels aren't a problem. But I see it this way... It is about preventing injury, receiving an attack, or avoiding danger. IMO as your taijutsu gets better so should your ukemi. Essentially, with training, your body will naturally want to go to the safe spot, wherever that spot is or how that spot is shaped.

It seems as though I am on constant vigil to try and get smaller but I don't stop training. Don't worry about it and start training.

There is a difference between being acrobatic and being tactical or effective. With that being said, you should continue to push yourself to the limits of your capabilities in all aspects of your training.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am big guy myself. I can't do back flips or those awesome handsprings, although rolls and pinwheels aren't a problem. But I see it this way... It is about preventing injury, receiving an attack, or avoiding danger. IMO as your taijutsu gets better so should your ukemi. Essentially, with training, your body will naturally want to go to the safe spot, wherever that spot is or how that spot is shaped.

It seems as though I am on constant vigil to try and get smaller but I don't stop training. Don't worry about it and start training.

There is a difference between being acrobatic and being tactical or effective. With that being said, you should continue to push yourself to the limits of your capabilities in all aspects of your training.

Dave gave you some excellent advise above. Really very few people practice flips, etc. in authentic traditional Budo Taijutsu classes and there are lots of Big Guy's practicing and learning these life saving and enhancing skills. Just be careful and find a good Budo Taijutsu teacher.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I train with a guy who is bigger than you are, and he does just fine. Sure, some of the techiniques have to be adapted to fit his size, but there isn't anything that keeps him from doing just great. Ukemi is vitally important though and he had great ukemi which just keeps getting better as he progresses (just the same as everybody else actually.)

I my self am 6'2" 240# and don't find it to be a problem other than the tendenancy to sometimes try to force something to work instead of using good movement like I should.

Zida'sukara

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dont worry about your body size, I gained a few more kilos. I was also worried about that and about my stifness but I learned that it is not so important. A back flip will not be in it for me too, I think I would break all my backbones by trying.;)

Btw. I had a very tall guy in my class before I stopped, he did fine also.

OP
Kevdak

Kevdak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I want to thank you guys for your imput thus far. If there is anyone else who has any input, feel free to do so. Thanks again! :)

Latest Discussions