Body Language Fuels the Spread of Fear

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good article. Though nothing new about all of that for me. Myself and several others on this forum have spent a life-time studying and familiarizing ourselves with "non-verbal" communication. We use the subtle clues in body posture, tension/relaxation, facial expressions and so forth the same as a hearing person would use tonal inflections and other audible clues.
But still, the average person relies on these things more than they realize, according to the article/study. Or at least instinctively react to it without really be totally aware of the reasons why. This is of course the average, everyday man/woman on the street.
A combative person or a person trained in combat (soldiers, martial artists, criminals, etc.) would, through training pick up on it and learn how to use their opponent's non-verbal clues to their advantage. Sometimes that is on the sub-concious level as well, sometimes not.
Controlling how we react to it adds (or takes away) to our advantage in any confrontation be it verbal or physical or even mental and emotional. This is the result of years of training ourselves to face those who have a desire to hurt us. I'm thinking that many of us are adept in being able to handle a physical confrontation, after all that's what much of MA is all about. Over time we get better at the verbal and other types of stress causing events. Sometimes not. Those who have kids know what I'm talking about. :lol:
The article does give (us) something to think/talk about. Looking forward to it here. :asian:

Latest Discussions