Board breaking

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How much emphasis does your school put on this? How do you do it? We have a required breaking technique at each testing. We have a board breaking night about every other months for students to practice and get accustomed to it before it's time to test. It's pretty much all single kicking techs at the lower belts. At the higher belts there are some punching techs and some combination kicks required. For the most part it is a single 1 inch pine board for everyone over 11 or 12 and it's a very thin board for the tiny tigers. Is anyone here into breaking at a higher level?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
breaking isn't a requirement till red belt with us, but from green on they can participate in the breaking clinic, usually 2 weeks before rank testing.

At first we get used to breaking, simple techniques like hammer fists, elbows, side and front kicks, then we get more into advanced techniques.

breaking boards are 1x12 pine boards, starting at 4 inch slivers for the little guys up to 2 12 inch pieces for the gentlemen. Or the rebreakable plastic variety, color coded according to the resistance they offer.

OP
J

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We only use the one thickness for adults (1 inch) but they will be stacked two thick for some techniques for adults at the higher belt levels.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
we also dont have breaking as a requirement until red belt. In a 3 month term we will have about 6 nights where we will break timber. At black belt we break with a down spin, at 1st dan we break with a jump spinning kick and for each other dan you break the same number of boards as the dan you are grading for (2nd dan =2 boards, 3rd dan=3 boards etc) with the kicks of your choice. We also do speed breaking where the board holder holds the board with just their thumb and forefinger and basically 'dangle' the board there (only a very fast, accurate kick will break it). At club championships we have a timber breaking section where the participants break 3 boards in a sequence with whatever kicks they choose.

OP
J

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What do ya'll see as the primary benefits of board breaking? I think especially with younger people it's a great confidence builder. Also maybe helps with the concept of striking through the target? I'd think maybe it could help with hardening the striking surfaces but it doesn't seem like a few times a year is enough for that. I like the idea of speed breaking and can definitely see where that could help with technique and...of course speed.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think breaking can really help with certain techs when using thick boards or multiple boards because, within reason, the board will only break if hit very hard and very accurately. Kicking pads can give the impression the kick is spot on where really it may be slightly off target. Also dealing with the pressure of getting up in front of lots of people and standing there in silence with one attempt to break a board with all eyes on you. It can be nerve racking and that is character building. Also, things like sparring are "instinctual" and it all happens so fast that you just go with it and the body just reacts to the attacks. Board breaking is different because you have the time to psyche yourself out of it and let the pressure get to you. I certainly think timber breaking has some benefits.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do ya'll see as the primary benefits of board breaking? I think especially with younger people it's a great confidence builder. Also maybe helps with the concept of striking through the target? I'd think maybe it could help with hardening the striking surfaces but it doesn't seem like a few times a year is enough for that. I like the idea of speed breaking and can definitely see where that could help with technique and...of course speed.
Try speed breaking with kicks that come front on to the board, such as front kick or side kick. Its a bit easier with roundhouse or hook for example that come from the side. Its good fun.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Well, it builds confidence, for sure. Once you get into more intricate techniques you understand the importance of precision (especially on plastic boards, they will NOT break unless you hit the sweet spot)

And last: You really can't hit a partner that hard in training. I mean, I don't know how hard you go in full contact, but a strike to 2 or 3 boards would - in my mind - have to be delivered with the intend to kill on a live target. The force exerted equals roughly what is needed to break the strongest bone in the body, at the higher requirements, of course, but even boards on the small side are about as strong as a rib...

OP
J

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Like I said, we break for each testing so here are the breaks in order as I can remember.

Side kick
Ax kick
Spinning back kick
Skipping or spinning heal kick
Tornado kick
Jump over spinning back kick
Jumping spinning heal kick

That's about as far as anyone in my family has gotten so far, but I think from there we start with combination and some hand techniques. I believe the height on all of these is about mid level/chest high.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Breaking helps bring out the confident some people lack, it also help with the mental aspect certain people need to develope. Myself not a fan of breaking but I do enjoy watching someone from the first time breaking and seeing their whole face light up.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Breaking helps bring out the confident some people lack, it also help with the mental aspect certain people need to develope. Myself not a fan of breaking but I do enjoy watching someone from the first time breaking and seeing their whole face light up.

It is priceless, especially when you got little girls finally get 'it'

In my observation they take a bit more encouragement than the boys (same for the ladies though)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's useful as a progress report of sorts. If you can crunch 2-3 boards with a kick, you can easily snap a rib with the same motion. Boards provide more visceral feedback than a heavy bag does, so it's definitely appropriate to break them out on occasion to test and inspire the students.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We haven't done breaking in forever in front of the class because we don't have anyone near ready for it. We don't break on a test until 2nd brown (translates to red for most I think), 1 board with a kick. 1st Dan recommended is 1 hand/1 foot, 1st Dan is 2 stacked hand/2 stacked foot. 2nd dan is 3 stacked each. I haven't tried more than 1 at a time in 10 years or so. We are taking in boards tomorrow night, to show the kids what concentration and proper technique can do. I might even try to speed break.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is a copy of our Black Belt requirements. They may have been updated.
BLACK BELT TEST BOARD BREAKING QUICK REFERENCE
The following information specifies the minimum number of Boards required. This POWER BREAK minimum is reduced (so long as minimum is not less than 1 Board.) as follows:
Men >35 & Women >30 -1, Men >40 & Women >35 -2, Men >45 & Women >40 -3
Men >50 & Women >45, Breaking is entirely candidate’s option and choice.
Peewee is age 10 or younger. Junior is age 11-15.
The test board may also modify the requirements based upon a candidates unique physical characteristics or size. (Women and Junior Requirements are the same unless otherwise noted.)
The test candidate may also choose any appropriate break specified in a USTF Requirement Booklet.
POWER HAND
1st Dan: Men - 3, & Women - 1 Downward Knife hand; or
Men - 2, Downward — punch, Back f ist or Knife hand.
Women - 2, Front Punch, Outward Knife hand, or Inward Reverse Knife hand
2nd Dan: Men - 4 Front Punch or Downward Knife hand, or 3 Downward Punch
Women - 1 Suspended inward or outward Knife hand, or
1 Downward Punch, Back fist, Knife hand, or Reverse Knife hand.

3rd Dan: Men - 3 Downward - Punch or reverse Knife hand, or 5 Downward Knife hand
Women - 1 Suspended; Front Punch, Back fist Side Strike, or inward reverse Knife hand.
Or 2 downward; Punch, Back fist, or Reverse Knife hand, or 3 Downward Knife hand.
POWER FOOT

1st Dan: Men - 2, Women - 1 with Flying Twist Kick, or
Men - 3 , Women - 2 Flying— Front, Turning or 360 Back Piercing, or
Men - 4 , Women - 3 , Flying Side Piercing or 180 Back Piercing.

2nd Dan: Men - 3 Twist Kick, Step Hook, Reverse Hook, or Reverse Turning, or
4 Turning Kick, or 5 Side Piercing, Mid Air 180 or 360 Back Piercing
Women - 2 Reverse Hook Kick, or 3 Side Piercing Kick.

3rd Dan: Men - 4 Front, Turning or Side Thrust Kick, or 6 Side Piercing Kick.
Women -3 Front, Turning, or Back Piercing Kick, or 4 Side Piercing Kick
Or 1 Suspended Twist, Stepping Hook, or Reverse Hook Kick.

TECHNIQUE
1st Dan: Men Women - 1 Suspended , Any Standing Kick, or
Men - 2, Women - 1 : One Target Flying Twin Foot Front, or Side Piercing Kick
2nd Dan: Men 2, Women 1, - Any Mid Air or Flying Kick,
or 2 Targets Men 2 Boards Each Target, Women 1 Board Each Target -Flying Twin Front

3rd Dan: Men
3 Boards - 1 Target. Flying; Twin Front or Twin Side Piercing,
Or 1 Board - 2 targets any Flying, Double, Combination, or Consecutive.
Women - 2 Suspended; Any Standing Kick or 2, 1 Target, Flying Twin Front, Flying Hook, or 180 Reverse Hook

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do breaks from the first test. We start with a simple (yet effective) hammer fist and get progressivly more difficult with each level. We do not practice breaks ahead of time, so students do not know what break they will be asked to perform. However, because I give the test and am also the board holder, I know what the break is and will have already trained them to ensure they've achieved the proper technique and power level required to make the break successfully. I hate people kicking my digits.

We generallly use 1" pine boards, but this varies to some degree. Demonstration breaks are sometimes thinner boards (if the emphysis is on technique rather than power) and power breaks are multiple boards. Each belt level requires 1 breaking technique until pre-black belt, which requires 3-4 breaks of combined hand and foot techniques. Black belts are required to choreograph and break 7 boards in any combination of hand and foot techniques, and they have to set up their own holders. Black belt tip tests require multiple breaks and are at my instructor's discretion. 2nd Black requies 30 breaks of 1" boards by hand technique. It's painful and requires a good deal of conditioning, so needless to say, small children don't test at this level.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In the ATA, board breaking is a testing requirement for Purple Belt on up.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We did do breaking the other night, but not during class. Tried to speed break, epic fail on that. Same for one of my other BB. Did a sliding side kick through 1 board, first break with my foot in 10 years. We taught my little sister (15 and a yellow belt) how to break with the same move. We even caught it on tape. She was shocked that she did it, very proud of her.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
We did do breaking the other night, but not during class. Tried to speed break, epic fail on that. Same for one of my other BB. Did a sliding side kick through 1 board, first break with my foot in 10 years. We taught my little sister (15 and a yellow belt) how to break with the same move. We even caught it on tape. She was shocked that she did it, very proud of her.
The beauty of speed breaking is that students are rarely successful at it so you can throw a bit in during class and know you wont need much timber. Ive broken once with a front kick speed breaking but it was after many many attempts. Its actually the snapping action that will cause the timber to break so the technique required is slightly different to normal breaking.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, we don`t do any of that macho breaking. Instead we hold hands lightly and walk around the Dojo with our eyes closed to increase sensitivity.

Not as impressive maybe and people who walk past the window often wonder if we are in need of therapy. But we like it :lol2:

Anyway when did breaking first become part of the TKD/Karate arts? Just curious.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The beauty of speed breaking is that students are rarely successful at it so you can throw a bit in during class and know you wont need much timber. Ive broken once with a front kick speed breaking but it was after many many attempts. Its actually the snapping action that will cause the timber to break so the technique required is slightly different to normal breaking.

I was the one with the epic fail on the speed break. I could feel it before I hit the board. I was attempting a downward knifehand strike, which I have done before. It's just been a long time.

Latest Discussions