Bo katas

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If they were making a case that a thin bo is faster--which it is--and that that conferred an advantage in combat that outweighed the disadvantages of a weaker strike/block due to the lack of heft and the possibility of it breaking, I wouldn't mind. In FMA we often use very thin and light sticks for light contact sparring, but everyone uses heavier sticks for "real" fighting. I've whacked people hard with the rattan sticks and had them keep coming, albeit now sporting a sizeable bruise--where a hardwood stick would have broken something.

OP
T

theneuhauser

we use waxwood staffs. i see my new modern wushu partners use some pretty skinny ones. they bend a little more so i guess they are better for show. it does seem to spin faster.
my staff is about 50% thicker in diameter, i will always use one like this.

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
are great, very sturdy and light. Unfortunately not officially allowed for
Okinawan Systems. They usually use red or white Oak, hickory, Ash, purple Heart, and Jatoba (great wood) to name a few.

:asian:

OP
W

Wertle

I suppose I can understand lighter bos being more speedy, but for me, handling that balsa wood bo proved to be more difficult for me to work with at all. I suppose I just wasn't used to the physics of it, I felt like it was too light to get decent momentum out of.

I don't want to throw this thread *completely* off topic, but it did start me wondering about differences in standard weapons and tournament or show weapons. My school is noncompetitive, so i don't really know much about the differences that would arise. Should I start another thread?

OP
T

theneuhauser

ive seen some extremely creative nunchaku kata recently. the performer was really cutting loose with some acrobatic stuff, but never let up with the nunchaku, they just kept spinning and spinning...

are they hardwood or what?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wertle

Should I start another thread?

Perhaps, but it seems to me that this is reasonable thread drift.

I've seen demos with glow-in-the-dark or light-up nunchaku. Cool, I must admit. Give me wooden chucks with beveled edges though.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Okinawans also make Bo's, Eku and other wood weapons out of "Hinoki". I think it is a kind of Cypress, not sure though, anyway it is light and strong and makes excellent material for a Bo.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenmpoka

Btw, where do you live?

:asian:
Kenmpoka, I live in Effingham, Il which is south central Illinois. To make a long story short BFE. Which for you that don't know what BFE stands for Boone F@#k Egypt.
Bob :rofl:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm in Terre Haute--you're the big city.

Everyone says we have to head that way and try Richard's Farm for dinner. We went shopping in Effingham once but haven't been back I'm afraid.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

I'm in Terre Haute--you're the big city.

Everyone says we have to head that way and try Richard's Farm for dinner. We went shopping in Effingham once but haven't been back I'm afraid.
Hey Arnisador I usually go over to Terre Haute every two weeks to pick up my 16 year old Daughter. She lives in Indy. You guys are going to have to come up with some kind of Giant Odor eaters. You get to the Wabash River and it smell like being inside porta potty after it has sit for two weeks. Hey if you ever come back to the big city give me a call maybe we can work out or at lest meet.
Bob:D

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kempojujutsu

You guys are going to have to come up with some kind of Giant Odor eaters. You get to the Wabash River and it smell like being inside porta potty after it has sit for two weeks.

Some days it's worse than others, but I know people who introduce themselves by saying "I've lived here so long I longer notice the smell." But I'm on the far east side, near Rte. 46, so I don't have to suffer it (except when I go to my JKD/BJJ class which is right near the mall at Exit 7).

Hey if you ever come back to the big city give me a call maybe we can work out or at lest meet.

I'd like that! Let me know if you're having any interesting people or big names in for seminars. I'll be bringing Tim Hartman to Terre Haute at some point. You saw there's a Sayoc Kali seminar coming up in Bloomington on 24 August?

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by theneuhauser

ive seen some extremely creative nunchaku kata recently. the performer was really cutting loose with some acrobatic stuff, but never let up with the nunchaku, they just kept spinning and spinning...

are they hardwood or what?

This fascination with spinning nunchaku seems to have stemmed from Enter the Dragon and B.Lee.
The nunchaku are used for spinning and striking but are more of a trapping weapon than a hitting weapon.
Ever use the Nunchaku to hit something like a heavy bag?
The end flys back at you half the time..............not the most ideal weapon for striking. Which should make one think that there intent was something else. But if you demonstrate them as they were originally intended you could put someone to sleep, therefore we get the "flaming Ninja chcucks" with aerobics and gymnastics thrown in. I have always said if I could teach a baton twirler to use Nunchaku she would win every "chop socky" style tournament around.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

I don't want to throw this thread *completely* off topic, but it did start me wondering about differences in standard weapons and tournament or show weapons. My school is noncompetitive, so i don't really know much about the differences that would arise. Should I start another thread?

By noncompetitive do you mean you don't spar or don't do tournaments?

We do full contact sparring with Bos, and all sorts weapons so I am not really interested in how pretty they look just as long as they are tough enough to keep me from getting hit and hitting the other guy.

OP
W

Wertle

By noncompetitive do you mean you don't spar or don't do tournaments?

Neither, though I've spectated tournaments that friends were involved in, so there were some things I was curious about.

One thing I was particularly curious about was the flags on Chinese Broadswords and chainwhips. Do they have a practical purpose or are they just so that they can be seen better?

Full contact Bo sparring? Ouch! What kind of equipment and rules go along with that? I don't know much in the way of full contact sparring rules. Do people get injured often?

OP
R

RyuShiKan

One thing I was particularly curious about was the flags on Chinese Broadswords and chainwhips. Do they have a practical purpose or are they just so that they can be seen better?

Good question...........sorry I don't know the answer.

Full contact Bo sparring? Ouch! What kind of equipment and rules go along with that? I don't know much in the way of full contact sparring rules. Do people get injured often?

We use kendo like equipment.
The Bo sparring is not so bad but the Tanbo (2 sticks like Arnis) sparring is brutal.......2 weapons to watch and 2 weapons to get hit by.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OP
W

Wertle

thanks! And sorry about the grammer, I have a nasty habit of making nouns into verbs that were never meant to be. You should see what I do to adverbs! x_x

OP
K

Kirk

thanks! And sorry about the grammer, I have a nasty habit of making nouns into verbs that were never meant to be. You should see what I do to adverbs! x_x

My parents are famous for this ... "Can I have a cookie?" "I'll
cookie you, mister" heheheh

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan

We use kendo like equipment.
The Bo sparring is not so bad but the Tanbo (2 sticks like Arnis) sparring is brutal.......2 weapons to watch and 2 weapons to get hit by.
What is the difference in length of the Tanbo and Hanbo. Also is there different kata's for each of these weapons or do they use Bo kata's for both of these weapons.
Bob :asian:

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Kempojujutsu

What is the difference in length of the Tanbo and Hanbo. Also is there different kata's for each of these weapons or do they use Bo kata's for both of these weapons.
Bob :asian:

I wouldn't know anything about a Hanbo, that is some of "Ninja" thing.

Tanbo are different length depending on your size.
There are several Kata for Tanbo in our system that have no connection to the Bo kata.