Blue Belt Test

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are a lot nicer than my Master when giving orders during a test.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very sharp and controlled in basics and forms. Very nice breaks.

2 suggestions...

1. Head gear. I know we’ve been down the route, and I really hate to go there again, but there’s a very strong case here... head gear helped your white belt when he fell off the mat and his head nearly or did hit the hardwood floor. If she did the same with any more momentum, it wouldn’t end well.

2. Hands up! There’s a reason why every single head/face punch landed until half way through the last round, then most landed.

Ok, I guess 3...
Your lower belts need work on maintaining their posture when being pressured. A lot of head down and turning away. It’s probably the most common thing I’ve seen in lower belts getting used to sparring. It comes with time and experience, but pointing it out and making sure they’re mindful of it goes a long way IMO.

Overall, I’d say they’ve got a quite good teacher :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are a lot nicer than my Master when giving orders during a test.
No need to be mean IMO. Either they know it or they don’t.

Everyone’s got their ways. Whatever works best for them.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No need to be mean IMO. Either they know it or they don’t.

Everyone’s got their ways. Whatever works best for them.

To be fair, he isn't exactly mean. But it's much more of an order than it is a question or suggestion. Although, we generally have 60-80 people testing over the course of the week and any one test may have 24-30 students.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very sharp and controlled in basics and forms. Very nice breaks.

2 suggestions...

1. Head gear. I know we’ve been down the route, and I really hate to go there again, but there’s a very strong case here... head gear helped your white belt when he fell off the mat and his head nearly or did hit the hardwood floor. If she did the same with any more momentum, it wouldn’t end well.

2. Hands up! There’s a reason why every single head/face punch landed until half way through the last round, then most landed.

Ok, I guess 3...
Your lower belts need work on maintaining their posture when being pressured. A lot of head down and turning away. It’s probably the most common thing I’ve seen in lower belts getting used to sparring. It comes with time and experience, but pointing it out and making sure they’re mindful of it goes a long way IMO.

Overall, I’d say they’ve got a quite good teacher :)

The one thing I noticed is the low blocks don't seem to protect the leg or ribs, as they stop well inside of the leg.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To be fair, he isn't exactly mean. But it's much more of an order than it is a question or suggestion. Although, we generally have 60-80 people testing over the course of the week and any one test may have 24-30 students.
A more authoritarian voice typically works better when the room is full. When there’s 3 or 4, IMO you can get away without it. But again, some things work for some people and not others. Everyone’s got their thing.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
The one thing I noticed is the low blocks don't seem to protect the leg or ribs, as they stop well inside of the leg.

This may be a stylistic thing our low block end in front of the belt not , intended to block a strike to pelvic area.

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
I love tests!!! Always good to see people thriving under pressure.

Your green belt student is very impressive in power & poise. Stances look solid & stable. What style are you teaching? ITF TKD, Shotokan Karate?

The only thing I could see that could be improved upon is that her thumb needs to be tucked in when delivering knife/spear hand strikes. A potential thumb hook/dislocation. I had it happen to me, very painful.

Sparring, she leads with her right leg a lot. Would help to train her to switch up a bit. Also, adding combination kicks into the arsenal would be advantageous. Too many one shot kicks when a follow up would be good. Guards up on the head, too many shots to the head getting through.

Other than that. Good job! Your student looks good & has confidence in what you’ve taught her.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I love tests!!! Always good to see people thriving under pressure.

Your green belt student is very impressive in power & poise. Stances look solid & stable. What style are you teaching? ITF TKD, Shotokan Karate?

The only thing I could see that could be improved upon is that her thumb needs to be tucked in when delivering knife/spear hand strikes. A potential thumb hook/dislocation. I had it happen to me, very painful.

Sparring, she leads with her right leg a lot. Would help to train her to switch up a bit. Also, adding combination kicks into the arsenal would be advantageous. Too many one shot kicks when a follow up would be good. Guards up on the head, too many shots to the head getting through.

Other than that. Good job! Your student looks good & has confidence in what you’ve taught her.
Our style is an offshoot of ITF that has a Shotokan flavor to it.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Little Blue Belt test Action from last night. Hope you enjoy!

The White belt did better than the Yellow. He def. had Boxing/street creds and cracked her pretty good. She wasn't happy. He has more head movement + angles. She was stiff and going straight in.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
The White belt did better than the Yellow. He def. had Boxing/street creds and cracked her pretty good. She wasn't happy. He has more head movement + angles. She was stiff and going straight in.

Yeah he just enjoys fighting. Has a higher IQ for it then most white belts that come in the door for us. He is also much more aggressive and is one of my bigger students is regards to weight and height.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
That white belt easily won. She needs work on her defence and her guard

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah he just enjoys fighting. Has a higher IQ for it then most white belts that come in the door for us. He is also much more aggressive and is one of my bigger students is regards to weight and height.

Why do you guys like those open hand gloves? Why not Boxing gloves that offers more protection, esp. from eye pokes? I think he gave her a shiner. I never understood how dudes can wreck a girl like that. I've only KO'ed 1 girl, but that was in a span of over 15 years of training and, she was built like a tank. This dude was out for blood.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why do you guys like those open hand gloves? Why not Boxing gloves that offers more protection, esp. from eye pokes? I think he gave her a shiner. I never understood how dudes can wreck a girl like that. I've only KO'ed 1 girl, but that was in a span of over 15 years of training and, she was built like a tank. This dude was out for blood.

I've sparred plenty of girls that if you don't go hard, they will destroy you.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've sparred plenty of girls that if you don't go hard, they will destroy you.

Well I don't consider myself very strong, just about average and I don't train much for strength, just a lot of cardio and agility/finesse b/c that's how I fight. But well trained women fighters are still very weak in terms of delivering power to their strikes, compared to men. The most well trained & buffed woman I've ever seen in person....is in my gym and she's even on steroids (clearly) and trains 2x a day, like 6-7 days a week, religiously. She's a crossfit + Kickboxing monster who was on Noguera's team and wins WKA's National down in Tampa anytime she feels like competing. I used to think she was trans., until I sparred with her and she went full power, and it was so weak, like the power of a 15 year old boy. Even with all that muscles, washboard abs and perfect physique.....my hard jabs was snapping her head all over the place, so I had to go like 30% power on her while she maintained full beast mode.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No reason to go softer on them than the blokes. Everyone gets to pick their fighting level, and they get what they want (harder or softer, more or less techincal, etc.) regardless of their gender.

Latest Discussions