Blue belt second stripe....Online?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Okay, I grew to accept Gjj Torrance giving blue belts online. No biggie. You get your blue belt, and then you come in and go the rest of the way to purple and beyond. However, now they're saying you can get your second stripe online as well. This really bothers me, because its an indication that they may take this beyond blue and to higher belt rankings.

I just can't get behind this. Looking at the Blue Belts I train with, there's no way they could be as proficient as they are if their training was online. Maybe I'm too old school, and just feel that in arts like Bjj (and most MA in general) you need that direct feedback from your instructor while you're training. Watching a video, mimicking movements, and sending in a tape for evaluation just seems wrong to me.

What do you think?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes it is feels wrong for me personally. But my coach was internet training with his coach due to us being in a remote area and then won mma fights with guys from real gyms.

so honestly i don't know. And the only way to know would be to set aside our feelings and look at the data.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wave of the future man. He said right in the clip he can't wait for the purple belt test. So I assume at some point soon you can get a purple belt online. I don't know anything about the actual classes I've never taken then but I think online training is the future. Agree with it or not it just is you can do anything on line now. Banking, doctor visits, college classes, etc. If they do a good job keeping the standards up and have a check and balance system like live feedback from actual instructors then it could work. Is it the best method probably not but is it better then not training at all? I don't know if it's quality material then some is better then none. If it's crap well there are crap brick and mortar schools to so...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do not agree with the whole on line training/testing only way of doing things. This sounds more like a money making way of teaching rather then training a person.
That being said I do have one instructor that lives 1500 miles away and i only see this person twice a year. My training in the forms is done by sending videos/CD's back and forth with the corrections thoughts on my form being returned to me via CD. When we do meet then I do the lessons in person for the instructor. This may be easier for me considering how long I have doing things.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am actually surprised the X-Box does have some app along these lines. There is the kinect so why not. Would be no less than a DVD would be, plus a person would have the live interaction and feedback from the app. Not saying it would be better than a proper school, but could have much potential for an at home training tool. IMHO.

Last edited:

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am actually surprised the X-Box does have some app along these lines. There is the kinect so why not. Would be no less than a DVD would be, plus a person would have the live interaction and feedback from the app. Not saying it would be better than a proper school, but could have much potential for a at home training tool. IMHO.

I love the idea of using a kinect for homer practice. I'd use it for virtual technique practice along with my normal training.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the idea of using a kinect for homer practice. I'd use it for virtual technique practice along with my normal training.

The building blocks are already in place really. There is the Les Mills Bodypump and I imagine others too. Would be quite exciting with many possibilities.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not up to date on all the apps and stuff one can get online or by their phones but without true hands on instruction by a competent instructor who can correct your mistakes how can you you get quality instruction. At some point do you not need actual contact with someone that knows what they are doing to improve what you are doing or think you are doing

aside form that what is kinect? as I said i'm a primitive

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just cannot see them awarding anyone a belt from online training. I have met some of the current generation of Blue Belts training at some academies and frankly some are not very impressive! Sorry but back in the day it was on average closer to two and a half to three years to get a blue belt. Online training, blue belts in a year of training, etc. is starting to water down BJJ. In the end unfortunately it is the wave of the future due to the money involved!!! Never liked it when Rorion started this and unfortunately it has continued and probably will continue to it's natural progression. (online black belt) You simply cannot learn online well as you will miss all the fundamental nuances that you will learn from a live instructor. Online training, dvd's, books, etc. are all great and serve a great benefit for someone using them as a supplement to their regular training with a live instructor!!! By themselves as the sole source they are not so good.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just cannot see them awarding anyone a belt from online training. I have met some of the current generation of Blue Belts training at some academies and frankly some are not very impressive! Sorry but back in the day it was on average closer to two and a half to three years to get a blue belt. Online training, blue belts in a year of training, etc. is starting to water down BJJ. In the end unfortunately it is the wave of the future due to the money involved!!! Never liked it when Rorion started this and unfortunately it has continued and probably will continue to it's natural progression. (online black belt) You simply cannot learn online well as you will miss all the fundamental nuances that you will learn from a live instructor. Online training, dvd's, books, etc. are all great and serve a great benefit for someone using them as a supplement to their regular training with a live instructor!!! By themselves as the sole source they are not so good.
Why does it matter to you where someone else is training and how the decide to train?

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why does it matter to you where someone else is training and how the decide to train?

Like Brian said, it waters down the art. It matters to us because we care about Bjj and don't want it to become a mcdojo with 10 year old black belts, and chumps wearing higher ranking belts who can't grapple their way out of a paper bag.

I'd be interested in rolling with an online Blue belt. I doubt they'd be anywhere close on a technical level to someone who learned directly from an instructor.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like Brian said, it waters down the art. It matters to us because we care about Bjj and don't want it to become a mcdojo with 10 year old black belts, and chumps wearing higher ranking belts who can't grapple their way out of a paper bag.

I'd be interested in rolling with an online Blue belt. I doubt they'd be anywhere close on a technical level to someone who learned directly from an instructor.
So go tell the Gracies they are messing up BJJ, Honestly if there is $ to be made someones going to make it.I was looking at some of the GJJ kids stuff online and was watching 3 year old girls "taking down" adults to earn online belts so.....
By the way there are already BJJ mcDojos out there I know of a few that just popped up around here. Several TKD schools around here now all of a sudden offer BJJ. Another BJJ school opened by a guy I knew just got a blue belt then all of a sudden in less then 6 months he was a brown belt running a BJJ school in a cross fit gym. Its life man it happens All you can do is worry about you and your training and making sure what you are learning is good.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not up to date on all the apps and stuff one can get online or by their phones but without true hands on instruction by a competent instructor who can correct your mistakes how can you you get quality instruction. At some point do you not need actual contact with someone that knows what they are doing to improve what you are doing or think you are doing

aside form that what is kinect? as I said i'm a primitive
Kinect is a camera that is able to track your movement, face, objects in the room etc. Its a Microsoft product primarily used with an Xbox. In this context it tracks your complete body movement by using your joints and extremities to form a virtual skeleton that is augmented into a application.

I have one called In Shape and use it for yoga. The virtual instructor tells you if your not doing moves correctly, and throws in motivation talk on more conventional exercises like lunges, pushups, sit-ups etc.

There are all sorts of the virtual coaches already, with interesting results from people and feedback from actual trainers and doctors.

Personally think this is where it's heading.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Happens with everything in life. The second you pass on teaching, the second it is done to someone else's standard.

For bjj and any other skill \craft, it's been happening for years, you may have just not known.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So go tell the Gracies they are messing up BJJ, Honestly if there is $ to be made someones going to make it.I was looking at some of the GJJ kids stuff online and was watching 3 year old girls "taking down" adults to earn online belts so.....

It's not the Gracie's, it's one branch of the Gracie family. I know for a fact that quite a few of the other branches of the family disagree with what they're doing, and have condemned it publicly. So much so that Gracie Torrance stated that they weren't really blue belts, but provisional blues. I guess that was only temporary.

By the way there are already BJJ mcDojos out there I know of a few that just popped up around here. Several TKD schools around here now all of a sudden offer BJJ. Another BJJ school opened by a guy I knew just got a blue belt then all of a sudden in less then 6 months he was a brown belt running a BJJ school in a cross fit gym. Its life man it happens All you can do is worry about you and your training and making sure what you are learning is good.

A TKD McDojo offering Bjj isn't a Bjj McDojo, it's still a TKD Mcdojo. I'd also be highly suspect of the Bjj taught there! but I digress. I'm not overly concerned with one or two frauds teaching Bjj, they'll be exposed soon enough. That's the great thing about Bjj, you have to fight to justify that cloth around your waist. A visiting blue belt Jiujitero tapping out brown and black belt instructors is a quick way to get your little McDojo closed forever.

However, Rener and Ryron Gracie are excellent practitioners and quality instructors. I guess I'm more disappointed than anything else.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kinect is a camera that is able to track your movement, face, objects in the room etc. Its a Microsoft product primarily used with an Xbox. In this context it tracks your complete body movement by using your joints and extremities to form a virtual skeleton that is augmented into a application.

I have one called In Shape and use it for yoga. The virtual instructor tells you if your not doing moves correctly, and throws in motivation talk on more conventional exercises like lunges, pushups, sit-ups etc.

There are all sorts of the virtual coaches already, with interesting results from people and feedback from actual trainers and doctors.

Personally think this is where it's heading.

So George Orwell was right after all.

The Kinect might work well with exercise but, I don't think that it will have the accuracy need to correct MA movements. It might work as a supplement but, I really don't see it even being a good replacement for an instructor.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Happens with everything in life. The second you pass on teaching, the second it is done to someone else's standard.

For bjj and any other skill \craft, it's been happening for years, you may have just not known.

I've known about it. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So George Orwell was right after all.

The Kinect might work well with exercise but, I don't think that it will have the accuracy need to correct MA movements. It might work as a supplement but, I really don't see it even being a good replacement for an instructor.

I have the first generation, and just use it sometimes for exercise if I'm playing with the kids, the new version has even better tracking and more accuracy. I think its pretty good for what it is, if it ever gets to the level to correct bad form, who knows, but is plausible.

I'm guessing it could take you to a certain level, sure, but you can't beat human interaction.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've known about it. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

I guess this is why new starters look and hold organizations in high regard, they believe that if they are organized there must be some sort of gold standard involved. It must be hard for people who do not know and are new to the arts to be able to discern whats good or bad MA.

I guess that's why sites like MT are good, at least they can spark conversation with instructors and students who are practicing, or are passionate about quality of MA.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not the Gracie's, it's one branch of the Gracie family. I know for a fact that quite a few of the other branches of the family disagree with what they're doing, and have condemned it publicly. So much so that Gracie Torrance stated that they weren't really blue belts, but provisional blues. I guess that was only temporary.
Wait so gracie are not really gracies? Whatever makes you sleep at night lol
A TKD McDojo offering Bjj isn't a Bjj McDojo, it's still a TKD Mcdojo.
Lol ok. It's got great big BJJ letters in the windows what do you think the average Joe off the street thinks is being taught?
I'd also be highly suspect of the Bjj taught there! but I digress. I'm not overly concerned with one or two frauds teaching Bjj, they'll be exposed soon enough. That's the great thing about Bjj, you have to fight to justify that cloth around your waist. A visiting blue belt Jiujitero tapping out brown and black belt instructors is a quick way to get your little McDojo closed forever.
nonsense what makes you think a bluebell would be invited in to tap out browns that's how mcdojos work secondly it's not a few there are 5 near me so I'd imagine it's everywhere now I'm sure we are not the rare exception.
However, Rener and Ryron Gracie are excellent practitioners and quality instructors. I guess I'm more disappointed than anything else.
Lol I'm sure they care what you think as they cash their fat paychecks from the Internet schools