Blood on your GI.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to get it out? It is always troublesome to get it clean when I and others bleed on it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to get it out? It is always troublesome to get it clean when I and others bleed on it.
I had rather a lot of blood on one of my gi's (some idiot trained in it after giving blood). I just put something like Stain Stick on it and washed it - it all came out.

EDIT: My wife tells students I switched us to black gi's to hide the blood stains.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming this is a white gi: don't use bleach! Blood is principally protein, and proteins and bleach don't work so well.

Regardless of the color, though:apply a propylene glycol based anti-freeze to the stain until saturated. Then apply an enzymatic cleaner like oxy-clean, or hydrogen peroxide. Launder normally and air dry.

That's as out as a blood stain is ever gonna get-they're usually a little too dry by the time you get them home from class or a tournament and do this though. Some people keep oxy-clean solution in their gym bag, but YMMV....

...otherwise, I'm pretty much with Bill ....and the best cleanser for blood is the tears of your opponent.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Vinegar works great if you use it in the laundry. A cup in the wash instead of bleach. Vinegar instead of fabric softener also helps with the rinse. Oxy-clean works well in the wash, too.

If the blood is fresh, a little hydrogen peroxide on a q-tip or cotton ball gets it right out.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vinegar works great if you use it in the laundry. A cup in the wash instead of bleach. Vinegar instead of fabric softener also helps with the rinse. Oxy-clean works well in the wash, too.

If the blood is fresh, a little hydrogen peroxide on a q-tip or cotton ball gets it right out.
When I mark "useful" a bunch of posts talking about getting blood out, does the FBI put me on a watch list? :eek:

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, it is a white gi too so everything shows up on it. For whatever reason nose bleeds happen very easily.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. That only happens when we start discussing how best to hide the bodies.
The most important thing is to do it alone-if you bring someone else to carry it somewhere, make sure to take care of them as well. Even your best friend could confess if it gives him a lighter sentence.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
2 things that work quite well for me...

OxyClean Baby. I used it on my kids' clothes to get out everything they spit up, threw up, pooped out, spilled, etc. Spray it on ASAP, then throw it in the wash with whatever else. I've gotten blood off my gis with it too.

Blood Buster. When I was working in sports med, I'd spray bloody uniforms with it. I once had a soccer player split his head open and need 38 stitches to close it up. I don't think a drop of blood landed anywhere other than his jersey. I put it in a plastic bag and forgot about it for a week. Once the coach asked me for it back, I told him I'd give it to him tomorrow. I wet the jersey, sprayed it with blood buster, and soaked it in a bucket of water and regular detergent over night. Looked like it never happened. And it was a white jersey.

Last I looked, blood busted is available on Amazon. Buy a little bottle, as a little goes a long way. And it smells pretty bad. The smell goes away after it's been in the washer with detergent.

I don't know of an athletic training room that doesn't have a jug of blood buster. Works better than anything I've tried.

Regardless of what you use, don't dry it in the dryer until you're certain it's all gone. The dryer will bake the stain in permanently. I usually wait 2-3 washes after I don't see it anymore before I put it in the dryer.

Or, be a man and wear someone else's blood on your gi with pride. Not your own blood though; that proves you're soft.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I mark "useful" a bunch of posts talking about getting blood out, does the FBI put me on a watch list? :eek:
Perhaps unrelated, but I noticed a foul odor emanating from the trunk of your vehicle when I was shoveling snow around it the other day :D.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've gotten small amounts of blood on my uniform on several occasions and each time I have just washed it normally in a washing machine on the same day. It usually works fine. Larger amounts may require more aggressive cleaning.

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
The most important thing is to do it alone-if you bring someone else to carry it somewhere, make sure to take care of them as well. Even your best friend could confess if it gives him a lighter sentence.

The Hell's Angels have a motto - three can keep a secret.... if two are dead.

As for "The List", I always say - if you AIN'T on it, you're probably helping compile it.

Blood stains - Wal-Mart sells these little stain specific bottle of cleaners, with the deterrent. There's one for ink, rust, blood, wtvr. You have to pretty much buy one for each type of stain but I've had great luck with them.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oxy-Clean blue gel. Hydrogen peroxide can help too, like others have said. Maybe soak it in the hydrogen peroxide, rinse it off, and then use the gel after that?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you can't get the blood out than go with the flow. Soak the gi in blood and let it set, then launder until it is a dark rust brown. ;)

Latest Discussions