Blocking useless?

Discussion in 'General Self Defense' started by TMA17, Feb 20, 2018.

1. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

Just occured to me that you might have been referring to the parry itself being big as in over extended. If so, then yes that parry was way too big. As a rule I extend my parry just a little beyond center line, vs trying to push the entire arm with my arm. The rest of the push is done with my feet.

Yeah I wouldn't want to block a full on Mike Tyson punch. I give with punches of less power as is. I'm a big believer of not fighting power vs power in that context. If I'm lucky I'll be able to spar with my Sigung later this year, and that's the exact situation I'll be in, where I'm out powered. My game plan will be to flow with his power because there's no way my body will last if it's serving as a punching bag.

I want to be like floating tissue, no matter how hard his strikes are, I won't suffer heavy damage. I'm definitely nervous about it.

A lot of boxers tried to block his hooks and paid the price. Some people just hit too hard to try to block it. Tyson would hit a guard until it failed or until so much attention was on the guard that it opened his opponents up for an upper cut.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. stonewall1350

stonewall1350 Blue Belt

Yea. I think the title is meant more for shock value. Of course blocking has value. So do slips and evasions. The fact is...we wouldn’t have it if it were useless. I remember when I was young and got into a fist fight I used a hard block on someone and knocked him down (go figure I fell in love with grappling then lol) as a result of taking control of their arm. Blocking makes sense if you can do it right and follow up. I also watched the kung fu instructor in my gym use a block offensively. He knocked someone backwards into a wall with it during a spar. Was the coolest **** I’ve ever seen.

You won’t stop a fight by being purely on defense. So blocking alone won’t cut it. But a block followed by a control hold or maybes wicked nasty head butt? That would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

It is the issue of trying to address each punch individually. Which if they are coming at speed and numbers. You just can't reliably do.

So one punch at a reasonable range. Sure. But not combinations.

Now evasive movement, covering and closing that gap works against 1 punch or lots of punches. So when fighting conservatively, as in a street fight blocking can realistically be frowned upon.

That way you don't get caught out by that punch you don't expect as often.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I look at blocks primarily as "oh ****" tools. If the punch is coming and I'm caught flat-footed, a block buys me a bit of time to act like I know what I'm doing. The concept of blocking a flurry is, to me, similar to the idea of capturing an individual punch. It might happen, but probably only if you are doing something else to control the situation well. In a flurry, you might use an actual block against some key punches to buy some room for an entry or counter, but if you're just trying to block all the punches, you'll eventually fail and get clobbered.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. KenpoMaster805

KenpoMaster805 Blue Belt

in every Martial arts we need to used inward outward upward blocks down ward block even extended we also have universal block over head block and so forth so yea block is not useless

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Well no you don't /need/ those blocks at all. Yeah they're good but not essential. Boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai, Mma. They dont block like that and they do alright without it.

Frankly universal blocks are pretty stupid. You'll never use them in a real situation they're just there to complete categories. That's my biggest problem with kenpo. A lot of its great but some of it is completely impractical and its justified to be in there for category completion

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. lklawson

lklawson Senior Master

• Advisor
    You can keep claiming it, and you can keep being wrong. Ta

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Gaucho

Gaucho White Belt

Most of those videos are much better if I mute the audio and spare myself the horrible background music.

9. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

or you are blocking with the wrong party of your anatomy?

10. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

If I want to get my opponent's

- leading leg, I have to step in. When my opponent kicks me, I can get his leg without stepping in.
    - punching arm, I have to step in. When my opponent punches me, I can get his punching arm without stepping in.

If my opponent moves in toward me, I don't have to move in toward him. It will save my footwork and that can be my advantage.

If I want to get my opponent's head

- When his arms are protecting his head, I can't get his head.
    - When he punches me, his head will be exposed and I can get his head.

If my opponent opens his head to me, I don't have to open his guard. His punch can give me some advantage.

In other words, when your opponent punches you, that's the best time for you to move in.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  11. drop bear

Yeah but you don't just stand there eating punches. Cover or no cover.

12. drop bear

Chin parry?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gaucho

Gaucho White Belt

I think an earlier poster referred to that technique as the Face Block.

I don't know how you'd say it in Okanawan.

• Like Like x 1
  14. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I think it’s pronounced “ow”. I don’t know the kanji for it, though.