Blocking Drills

J

Jester

Ok, me and my little band of martial artists (groups of lads that get together and slap each other twice a week) are always trying to develop new skills.

Our puching is coming on our kicking is coming on blah blah blah. we are looking for training drills that will help to devlop our blocking skills. E.g not competition cover up blocking as thats easy buy more interception of attacks blocking.

We've started with drills, e.g set routines of different blocks. I also had the idea of attaching velcro type thingies to people and then someone has to grab them.

Has anyone got anything else thet teaches them to read attacks, use block(s) effectivley and ultimatley manipulate your attacker into a good striking position.

Cheers

OP
K

KenpoDragon

I do have this information......BUT IT IS ANCIENT CHINESE SECRET, AND I WOULD HAVE TO KILL YOU AFTER I TOLD YOU. Jokes aside it would be hard to teach you a blocking drill without being able to actually "show" you. I could write it out for you, but how would I know you understood it???

:asian: KenpoDragon

OP
M

MartialArtist

Just do a lot of the normal blocking drills that can be found at any good TMA or MMA school. Perfect technique allows maximum effectiveness, so work on technique before working on speed or anything else. A lot of sparring helps develop your reflexes. That's how I developed most of my blocking skills. You'll find out what works for you, and if it doesn't work, then something is wrong with you mechanically so you can fine-tune.

I personally have found chi sao to be an effective drill for me as it develops sense of touch, even if I haven't been doing it for that long.

OP
E

Eraser

Jester...

Here's something that may really bake your noodle..... do you really think those blocks are blocks... or are they strikes???? if you say you are good at striking.. then the same could be of your blocking... timing and co ordinaiton comes with practise....

TRAIN WELL MY FRIEND!!!!

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
For just regular blocking practice and manipulating your attacker, good 'ol three-step and one-step drills should work nicely.

Occassionally in TKD we throw in a drill we call "free punch" for practice in reading an attacker and honing our reflexes. It works kinda like playing hot hands (if you ever did that as kids). You do it facing your partner with both of you in horse stance with your hands in the ready position in front of you. Both people should be just far enough away from each other that a fully extended punch comes right up to the other person's face, but doesn't touch them. In advance, you decide who's attacking and who's defending. The attacker's goal is to throw punch that nearly hits the defender without being blocked. The defender's goal is to block the punch before it reaches full extension. Once you try this, you'll realize that it's all about reading the attacker and not tensing up in anticipation (because you block faster if your arms are relaxed). At the same time, the attacker learns not to show tells (any poker players here?).

You can always change things up a little too to see what works for you and your training partners.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
punch and kick at your students at 1/2 speed. dont have them block, just instucked them to cover up. after a time of this have them punch at you before the cover up( keep your strikes slow) Turn it up a little and make them use the return motion of their strikes as part of their cover up. Then work in having them cancel your (slower) strikes with the preemptive strikes. Eventualy work them so they are stepping off the line of attack and constantly seeking neutrality. (now turn up the speed and watch the sparks fly):flammad:

OP
T

tonbo

One drill that I have played with in the past that works both striking and blocking (aren't they the same, in most cases? Hehe) is the following:

Pair your students off. Have one person make three attacks, strikes or kicks, it doesn't matter. The other person's job is to block those attacks. After the third attack, have both students freeze in place. Now, the roles switch; however, both students start from where they froze. Keep going back and forth for a few minutes. It often turns into a game of martial arts "twister" very quickly, with students seeing all kinds of interesting and creative attacks and blocks. It also gives them a chance to do some techniques in "bullet time", where they can analyze what they want to do in order to block a strike.

Once they have this down in "slo-mo", increase the speed a bit.

Have fun!!

Peace--

Latest Discussions