Block and strike?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a block...is not a block a strike that is striking what is striking, so a block is really a strike, which makes a simultaneous block/strike a normal action.
Not all blocks are strikes. I teach what I call a "plow block" (using the flinch reaction to get arms between the attacker's shoulders and your upper targets), and have seen instructors teach a block that uses the arm at the side of the head to shield against a blow from the side. Neither are strikes.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not all blocks are strikes. I teach what I call a "plow block" (using the flinch reaction to get arms between the attacker's shoulders and your upper targets), and have seen instructors teach a block that uses the arm at the side of the head to shield against a blow from the side. Neither are strikes.
Exactly, blocks are, in fact, covers, and not strikes.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You've never heard of knockout have you? No idea if it's still going, but was pretty popular in new york a few years back.

A couple months ago, people were also randomly stabbing people on the subways around brooklyn. I can't remember what the reason was, but people were getting stabbed for no reason whatsoever.
Hence my qualifier "generally" rather than "never" ;)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Striking the strike.
That's not every block. Some blocks are strikes at the striking limb. Some blocks are static in respect to the strike (either because the block isn't moving or because the blocker is moving in the opposite direction from the block). Some blocks are soft, and push the strike off-path, rather than striking it. Some are soft and absorb the strike.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I believe he's saying there's a difference between a hard block (which is a block that strikes the striking limb) and a true strike, like a punch. And I agree. The dynamics are different.

Of course the dynamics will be different depending on the strike being employed and the purpose of the strike, but a strike is a strike. If I were to take your example, is not a punch "block" to the attacking limb a "punch" so a "strike" but it is a "block"?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course the dynamics will be different depending on the strike being employed and the purpose of the strike, but a strike is a strike. If I were to take your example, is not a punch "block" to the attacking limb a "punch" so a "strike" but it is a "block"?
I agree. I often refer to hard blocks as a strike. I was interpreting his comment. There is a difference, though I refer to both punches and hard blocks as strikes. It is, however, a block. It blocks the incoming attack from its target. You have said a block is a strike to an attacking limb, so any strike to a blocking limb (by that definition), is in fact a block.

senseiblackbelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
You've never heard of knockout have you? No idea if it's still going, but was pretty popular in new york a few years back.

A couple months ago, people were also randomly stabbing people on the subways around brooklyn. I can't remember what the reason was, but people were getting stabbed for no reason whatsoever.

you know a joke?

America.

Latest Discussions