Block and strike?

OP
TietKiu3

TietKiu3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes! Thank you, it was Rory Miller I was talking about.
I get what you're saying, and I see why blocking and then attacking might be seen as better, it does take less thinking, but it isn't quite as quick as Block and strike simultaneously. As for not just putting the arm in the way and improving your position, I can't disagree. In Hung ga, if we're on the inside, we like to move in and grab the throat. We also have a movement we call 'Water' (sing pao choi), where we block the hook punch, and the other hand comes up under the elbow and breaks it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes! Thank you, it was Rory Miller I was talking about.
I get what you're saying, and I see why blocking and then attacking might be seen as better, it does take less thinking, but it isn't quite as quick as Block and strike simultaneously. As for not just putting the arm in the way and improving your position, I can't disagree. In Hung ga, if we're on the inside, we like to move in and grab the throat. We also have a movement we call 'Water' (sing pao choi), where we block the hook punch, and the other hand comes up under the elbow and breaks it.

I am going to suggest blocking and striking at the same time is slower.

We could test this by trying twenty blocks in succession and then twenty block/strikes.

OP
TietKiu3

TietKiu3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am going to suggest blocking and striking at the same time is slower.

We could test this by trying twenty blocks in succession and then twenty block/strikes.

Well, first of all, I agreed with you when you talked about the flurry of punches coming at you. But block, and THEN strike definitely takes more time.

Also, realistically, when do you block twenty times?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, first of all, I agreed with you when you talked about the flurry of punches coming at you. But block, and THEN strike definitely takes more time.

Also, realistically, when do you block twenty times?

When they throw twenty strikes.

Sorry. Just blocking is quicker. Than block and strike. So if you are short on time and space for example like that flurry or a sucker punch or if you get countered during your own flurry you will want to quickly put something out there to stop an attack. Then when you have some space you can counter.

If you see the strike and have a little bit more time to act you can block/strike and take advantage of their open positions and forward momentum.

Blocking also gives you a fraction more of a second in which to act. So i see a punch and have to organise myself into a block and a strike before that punch lands. Or i see the strike block it. Now i can try to organise a punch in the time it takes to retract that hand and for the second punch to land.

Last edited:

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a block...is not a block a strike that is striking what is striking, so a block is really a strike, which makes a simultaneous block/strike a normal action.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The deflect can be just a parry.

parry.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a block...is not a block a strike that is striking what is striking, so a block is really a strike, which makes a simultaneous block/strike a normal action.

Like those double punches people do all the time?
images

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. He means it is not possible if someone randomly comes up to you and tries to knock your teeth in. I apologise for the poor description of the guy. It doesn't matter about the guy, I was just asking for your opinion. Anyway, I think it is quite possible to train a reflex of blocking and striking at the same time.
If you are surprised by an attack, you probably will block and evade as a first action, with little chance of an immediate strike. When you see it coming, however, I see no reason a block and strike can't happen at the same time. So, if someone tries to ambush you, and you see it only at the last moment, your first response may be block/evade only (a strike is still possible, but problematic under that scenario). After that first block, however, I'm assuming the assailant doesn't stop attacking. So, as you move to counter-attack, you're probably still blocking/evading at the same time.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When someone punches at you, you can always

- kick his belly (or groin), or
- sweep his leg.

Your leg is always longer than his arm.
The length of your leg is only helpful if using it keeps him outside the range of his arm. If he's already punching, then he's already closing that distance.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you are surprised by an attack, you probably will block and evade as a first action, with little chance of an immediate strike. When you see it coming, however, I see no reason a block and strike can't happen at the same time. So, if someone tries to ambush you, and you see it only at the last moment, your first response may be block/evade only (a strike is still possible, but problematic under that scenario). After that first block, however, I'm assuming the assailant doesn't stop attacking. So, as you move to counter-attack, you're probably still blocking/evading at the same time.
If you are fighting real close, you almost can't help but do both at the same time.