Block and strike?

TietKiu3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals! I practice Yee family Hung Ga Kung Fu, and a lot of the time, we talk about blocking and striking at the same time. But from my sifu, I heard that a guy that does violence seminars around the world (cant remember his name, but you might know, apparently he's known) doesn't think it's possible. My question is, what is your opinion?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Without knowing to whom you are referencing, and what he actually said, it's not really possible to give any meaningful comments. Your vague reference to someone famous who does violence seminars, and says you can't block and strike at the same time just doesn't give me much to work with. I suspect there may be more content and context in what he is actually saying, and that is probably being lost in your brief summary.

Instead of asking us, maybe you can share your own thoughts. So, what are your thoughts on it?

OP
TietKiu3

TietKiu3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok. He means it is not possible if someone randomly comes up to you and tries to knock your teeth in. I apologise for the poor description of the guy. It doesn't matter about the guy, I was just asking for your opinion. Anyway, I think it is quite possible to train a reflex of blocking and striking at the same time.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it is quite possible to train a reflex of blocking and striking at the same time.
please define block and strike at the same time.
doing one action with one hand and one with the other? or ... an action that accomplishes both tasks at once?
He means it is not possible if someone randomly comes up to you and tries to knock your teeth in.
if this is your context, then you have more issues than just a block and strike, so yeah your chances of doing something ,anything is slim.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok. He means it is not possible if someone randomly comes up to you and tries to knock your teeth in.
Well, techniclaly yes. However, that isn’t how civilian violence takes places. People do not, generally, just walk around randomly knocking people’s teeth out for no reason and with no warning. There are events, known as the rituals of violence, which precede a violent encounter e.g. an argument, road rage, spilling someone’s drink in pub.

Even if people where in the habit of randomly attacking peoples without warning, in terms of the odds of you being on the receiving end of such an unlikely event, I think there are far more likely scenario’s that you need to worry about and train for.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
blocking and striking at the same time.
Many MA style has this move that your blocking arm lift up the curtain, you than walk through under it.

You can also use the same arm to do both blocking and striking. If you striking path is also in your opponent's striking path, your striking will integrate both of your offense and defense into one. Examples are:

1. rhino guard - you hold your hands into a big fist, straight your elbows, hide your head behind it, run your big fist toward your opponent's face when he punches at you.
2. hay-maker - use a 45 degree downward hay-maker to swing in front of you when your opponent punches at you. If will not only knock down any of your opponent's straight punch, if your opponent moves in, your hay-maker can hit on the back of his head, and knock him out.
3. ...

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, techniclaly yes. However, that isn’t how civilian violence takes places. People do not, generally, just walk around randomly knocking people’s teeth out for no reason and with no warning. There are events, known as the rituals of violence, which precede a violent encounter e.g. an argument, road rage, spilling someone’s drink in pub.

Even if people where in the habit of randomly attacking peoples without warning, in terms of the odds of you being on the receiving end of such an unlikely event, I think there are far more likely scenario’s that you need to worry about and train for.
You've never heard of knockout have you? No idea if it's still going, but was pretty popular in new york a few years back.

A couple months ago, people were also randomly stabbing people on the subways around brooklyn. I can't remember what the reason was, but people were getting stabbed for no reason whatsoever.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As for the OP:

If you mean a block that is a strike, that happens all the time so it definitely is possible.
If you mean blocking with one hand while striking with the other, that also happens all the time so definitely is possible.
If you mean blocking and going from the block to a strike, that also happens all the time so definitely is possible.

OP
TietKiu3

TietKiu3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hoshin - block and strike = one hand blocks and the other strikes simultaneously. And you are right, the chances of doing anything are slim, but...........

Paul is right. Society is not such a violent place.

Kempodisciple, option b.

OP
TietKiu3

TietKiu3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And the knockout game was disgusting

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is quicker to just block. So if someone launches a flurry of quick shots then you are probably better just blocking. (sort of. You have to hit them back eventually)

But if you can pick out that the shot is coming then you block and strike at the same time.

Me i block. Block and strike and head move and strike depending on where i am at the time.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When someone punches at you, you can always

- kick his belly (or groin), or
- sweep his leg.
Your leg is always longer than his arm.

I would suggest that if you are blocking fast and reactively then you will want both feet on the ground.

Otherwise there are block knee options that can be pretty devastating.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why were they punching that far away? :)

Because you have created the circumstance by maintaining distance. Connor mcgregor style.

You can use use teeps from range to block. But they are not the sort of reactive quick block i was suggesting in my other post.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why were they punching that far away? :)
When a stranger moves into your kicking range (to obtain his punching range), it's always a good idea to "step back", and keep him away from his effective punching range. IMO, if your opponent steps in, you should

- steps back 45 degree,
- start to circle around him in the kicking range, and
- try to find out what his intention is.

Many MA styles such as Taiji, WC, Judo, ... all start their "partner training" from the punching range. IMO, this kind of training will miss the "footwork" training completely.

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When a stranger moves into your kicking range (to obtain his punching range), it's always a good idea to "step back", and keep him away from his effective punching range. IMO, if your opponent steps in, you should

- steps back 45 degree,
- start to circle around him in the kicking range, and
- try to find out what his intention is.

Many MA styles such as Taiji, WC, Judo, ... all start their "partner training" from the punching range. IMO, this kind of training will miss the "footwork" training completely.
Not my style. I am moving in too. o_O

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way more than I felt like responding to on my telephone...

I suspect you're thinking of Rory MIller -- but you're not really understanding his point. A block-then-strike approach is going to be behind the curve, and getting further and further behind, UNLESS you do something to change catch up and pass your attacker. What do I mean by that? If I wait for you to punch me, then I try to block your punch with a classic up block found in many martial arts, for example, then try to punch you after I block you -- the odds are that I might get the block in, but you probably won't be standing there for me to hit you afterwards. Instead, you're throwing your own second shot, moving, etc. And I'm already behind the curve to start with, because I'm waiting for you to act...

Yet the principle of defensive fighting is found in many martial arts which have stood the test of time...

H'mm... Maybe there's something not being shown? Maybe we're missing something...

Different styles have different answers, but here are some parts of my own answer... First, I don't wait for a strike to defend myself. As soon as I perceive that you're moving to attack, I'm doing something about it. I'm taking a defensive step to point that will give me an advantage. I'm preparing a "block" that does more than merely stop the strike; it inflicts harm on the incoming limb, it disrupts my opponent's balance, impairing their ability to throw another attack, and it's stopping the strike, too. Then I'm moving into some "doing unto" while my opponent is recovering...

Of course, this sounds easy. Hell of a lot harder to do than describe...

A perfect move, as Rory and several others describe it, improves your position, worsens your opponent's position, prevents them from harming you, and delivers damage. (I've reordered them reflecting my own emphasis... I have a lot of options if my position is better than my opponents...)