Results are only viewable after voting.

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
How about AFTER Black?...how long between 1st , 2nd, 3rd....etc

OP
S

Shinzu

in TSD ... 1st - 2nd = 2 years. 2nd - 3rd = 3 years. 3rd - 4th = 4 years and so on.

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
All depends on the person at my school But the fastest anyone ever got it was 2 years most people get it about 3- 4 years about 4 years for me.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by TallAdam85
WHAT GRANDMASTER in 10 years thats NUTS
I think you misunderstood. What it means is you must be a 1st Dan for 1 year before eligibility for second, then two years as a second for third, three years as a third, four years as a fourth, and so on.

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shinzu
in TSD ... 1st - 2nd = 2 years. 2nd - 3rd = 3 years. 3rd - 4th = 4 years and so on.

thats 60 years to 10th!

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by theletch1
That would also be why so many eyebrows are raised when a 25 year old grandmaster of six different arts pops up.

or even how someone can go from black to 10th degree in 5 years....*L

OP
S

Shinzu

Originally posted by theletch1
That would also be why so many eyebrows are raised when a 25 year old grandmaster of six different arts pops up.
agreed!

OP
L

LadyDragon

It took me just over 5 years to earn my black belt in American Kenpo. But I've heard of some McDojo's out there where someone can earn there black belt in anywhere from 8 months to a year.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But I've heard of some McDojo's out there where someone can earn there black belt in anywhere from 8 months to a year.
Yep, we've got a couple of those around here. Was looking at MA magazines at the local Wally World and was approached by a guy who appeared to be in his mid 50's. We began discussing MA. He told me he had just gotten his black at [black belts r us] and had trained for a WHOLE year to get it. He asked about the aikido that I study and asked to see one of the techs that could be done standing there in the aisle. I showed him a white belt tech ( a simple wrist lock) and he was blown away. Kinda makes ya wonder, huh.

OP
L

LadyDragon

It sure does make you wonder about the quality of that persons MA's and the type of black belt quality being put out by the McDojo where they study. People tend to forget, especially in MA that its the quality of what you know, and not the quatity. It does no one any good if you know 1000 techniques if you can only do 2 of them well. You earn a black belt, you don't beg, plead or buy one.

Latest Discussions