• Never had to do one.

• What is it?/Never heard of it.

• Wish our school hd to do them.

• Seems like a waste of time to me.

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
R

Ronin

Mr. C I remember you made me do three other thesis's, Benefits of Exercise, Responsiblities of a Martial Arts student. and The Importance of being on time. I still have those In my folder. Was a thesis required for advance ranks as well in the old days?

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not a black belt yet, but this is what I've been told about the thesis:

In your martial arts journey, you will find one or two things that really stand out as important to you. My instructor did his thesis on Broken Rhythm in fighting (moving unexpectedly so your opponent doesn't know what the heck you're going to do next). Another instructor did his on economy of motion, or causing the most amount of damage with the least amount of effort and movement. Each of them picked something that stood out as really important to them.

I'm going to do my thesis on women in the martial arts, and why techniques need to be adapted to work for smaller, weaker people. This has been really important for me, because as a female, when I teach, I try to give the females in my class the ability to make the techniques work for them. I remind them that for a block to be effective, it has to be of a force equal or greater than the force of the strike coming at them. Honestly, how many ladies can produce enough force to stop a punch coming from a 200 pound, well muscled man? not many. However, if you alter that to a parry and an angle change, the strike is deflected and you're out of the way. Then, you either have the opponent's groin right in front of you and wide open, or you've got their back to you, and there's a lot of damage you can inflict there.

I'm going to expand on these theories for my thesis, pick several techniques to alter, and go from there.

hope that helps.

OP
T

tonbo

Sheeesh.

I had to write a thesis, make up techniques (3 per brown level, be able to explain them and "defend" why you did them how you did), read a book (assigned by my instructor, but MA or mindset-based) and answer questionnaires based on the books every belt since Brown. Oy.

And our ranks differ a bit. After green, we have brown, 1st deg. brown, 2nd deg. brown, 3rd deg. brown, black (no stripe), 1st deg. black, etc.....

So, so far, I have read 5 different books and written 5 different theses, in addition to having made up 22 different techniques (explaining and defending them as well) and 2 complete katas (and explaining and defending those as well).

*laughs* However, I do consider myself pretty lucky with all that. I have learned a boatload.

Peace--

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
we have to make up techniques and katas too...I was just talking about the written paper.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've trained with a few other kenpo instructors, and a few other instructors in other styles...he's one of the toughest...which is why I stayed.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad

For those of you studying American Kenpo, I am curious about the Black Belt thesis. Is it still being used? Let me know what you think about the idea of the Black Belt Thesis.

Rob,
Yes we are required to do a personal form starting at Orange I think (I transferred so I'm not sure) and additionally a thesis at both 3rd Brown and 1st Black.

Ideally, the form will compliment your thesis. For example, if your thesis is on "Defending against knife attacks" then your form will be comprised of techniques vs knife attacks.

Originally posted by nightingale8472

...why techniques need to be adapted to work for smaller, weaker people.

Nightingale,
I have been planning to do my thesis on "fighting larger opponents." I have been thinking more along the lines of me vs Mr. LaBounty or Mike Tyson. I mean, I think my strikes would bounce off of them and do no damage and then they would kill me. And I was also originally told that Martial Arts were intended to give the small guy (or girl) the advantage. I would like to collaborate with you. My thesis is not going to be due prior to Oct 2003 so I have time. I don't expect to work on it until perhaps Sept this year. PM or eMail me if you are interested. Thank you.

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
It has been quite a few years ago, but I did write one. The topic was "Changes and inconcistencies in the Martial Arts". I truly believe that all browns going to black should have to do one....... I is an educator for years to come. Although embarresing now I did gain a great deal from it then....
:asian:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by cdhall

I mean, I think my strikes would bounce off of them and do no damage and then they would kill me.

Hey,

Isn't that the first of the 8 prepatory considerations? Acceptance..:D

jb:asian:

Storm

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rob_Broad said:
For those of you studying American Kenpo, I am curious about the Black Belt thesis. Is it still being used? Let me know what you think about the idea of the Black Belt Thesis.

It is a requirement of our school for BB.

I did mine on the Journey through the ranks covering the physical and mental troughs and peeks you go through on the way, the learning process, anguish, mind games etc.

Not all bad stuff of couse but I wanted to touch on what goes through your mind on the way as we all think we are alone out there in what we are feeling and what we are going through only to find out that most people go through exactly the same.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My thesis was on stick attacks. Since I had done a couple of years of Arnis previous to my black belt test, I decided to add some of those strikes and take-aways together with my Kenpo stuff..........they fit together very well.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
My 1st Black was on "Positive Aggression" - training not just physically, but psychologically, emotionally, and spiritually.

3rd Black on leverage and clubs.

4th Black was my web page. Circa 2000 - at that time 300+ printed pages. A lot more now.

-MB
I've read your thesis on Mr. LaBounty's website, very impressive.

A thesis is required for me to test for black belt, as is a personal kata of techniques of my own making. I feel that this is a good thing, even though bb is a long time off for me I have started to think of topics I would like to use for my thesis. Just the research alone in looking for a topic has helped improve myself as a person as well as a martial artist.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We had to write a 5-page essay on our code of ethics and a 25-page dissertation on something of our choosing, so long as it pertained to M.A.

Mine was on the considerations for training a student with PTSD.