• Never had to do one.

• What is it?/Never heard of it.

• Wish our school hd to do them.

• Seems like a waste of time to me.

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
G

GouRonin

I spent 5 years at university in philosophy. I did so many that not only do written thesis' not impress me anymore, I don't do 'em. Why? because I don't want to. I would venture to say that I have written more Thesis' than most people will ever write in their lifetime. So I don't do them anymore. Why? Because I don't HAVE to. If I was to do a thesis I would do something other than what everyone else does anyway because that is the kind of person I am.
:soapbox:

OP
T

tunetigress

THESIS????? Jeesh!!!! Just when I was starting to think I had been set free from the constraints of an academic life and was about to have some fun I hear WHAT??? I gotta do a freekin writing assignment??? Oh well GD, at least I won't have to mark this one. I still have an extensive collection of red pens, if you'd like to borrow one ! :D

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ya know, doing anything is a choice ... mostly. So is doing a thesis, or getting a black belt, or eating brussell sprouts.

Just cause Mr. Parker thought it would be valuable does not mean you have to do one. Although it would probably be a contribution to the Art, fellow students, instructors, etc. What you did in school does not exclude you from the responsibilities and duties as a Kenpo Black Belt. Remember, we lead by example, from in front ... not as an armchair general from the rear.

Just my opinion. The string was getting boring.
-Michael B.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Leave Douggie to me....... lol......... he'll do one if an when he gets his Black Belt or he have A Tiger fueled by a Dragon up his.... well....... you can guess...... :rofl:

:eek:

OP
V

vincefuess

Mr. Parker, according to what I have read, allowed a very wide interpretation of what actually made a thesis. I believe, or rather I have read, that Gil Hibben designed and built the famous Kenpo Knife for SGM Parker for his black belt thesis.

It seems to me that the point of the thesis was to see what the student had learned that was outside of the course syllabus.

I guess if your skills were of culinary nature, you could create a bigass cake that was chocolate with peanut butter inside it, shaped like the crest, and call it the "REESE'S KENPO THESIS". OK- I was stretching on that one- but I agree, this thread needed a perk!

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by vincefuess

Mr. Parker, according to what I have read, allowed a very wide interpretation of what actually made a thesis. I believe, or rather I have read, that Gil Hibben designed and built the famous Kenpo Knife for SGM Parker for his black belt thesis.

It seems to me that the point of the thesis was to see what the student had learned that was outside of the course syllabus.

I guess if your skills were of culinary nature, you could create a bigass cake that was chocolate with peanut butter inside it, shaped like the crest, and call it the "REESE'S KENPO THESIS". OK- I was stretching on that one- but I agree, this thread needed a perk!

Dang-it..........You stole my idea..........I guess I'll have to do an oreo crest now.

:rofl:

Michael

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Leave Douggie to me....... lol......... he'll do one if an when he gets his Black Belt or he have A Tiger fueled by a Dragon up his.... well....... you can guess......

Some dogs just can't be domesticated.

I'm not Pavlov's dog. I don't salivate at the things most people do. I have my own agenda. Let the masses chase their carrots on the stick. I have my own adventures to seek out.
:D

Besides, "Dutch' gave me a black. So did a certain "Superguy" Heh heh heh...

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Michael Billings
Ya know, doing anything is a choice ... mostly. So is doing a thesis, or getting a black belt, or eating brussell sprouts.

Yes it is. We all have many choices in life. It is a choice to lead or follow. To forge your own way in life using whatever means you choose to do so with.

Just cause Mr. Parker thought it would be valuable does not mean you have to do one. Although it would probably be a contribution to the Art, fellow students, instructors, etc.

Mr. Parker had his own personal reasons for doing what he did. His art is a testiment to his life's work. I agree that the contribution one makes to an art is invaluable. However, I just don't think that I want to follow the same cookie cutter mold that others choose. Much like the art I want to tailor all aspects of it to my self. I might do a thesis. Does it mean it will be a written one? Maybe not. Whatever it will be it will be one that befits me.

What you did in school does not exclude you from the responsibilities and duties as a Kenpo Black Belt. Remember, we lead by example, from in front ... not as an armchair general from the rear.

What I did in school defines what I am. I chose my field carefully. It was not a whim. I have always been of the mindset that whatever I choose to do I will do it MY way. Sometimes people don't believe that things can be done their way. I feel that given a certain amount of determination that many things people assumed were unchangable really are within the scope of their control. Willpower. Acceptance of the choices we make. These are the hallmarks of my life. I only get one crack at it. Why should I do it in a manner that I don't want to do it in if I can make it mine?

I have never sat in the armchair and tried to quarterback. I've been on the floor doing it for myself. I hope my example encourages others to free themselves form the yoke of conformity to some degree and maintain their pride.

Just my opinion. The string was getting boring.

Excellent. I think that your insight was well put.

OP
K

kenpokid

how did you guys come up with the ideas for your thesis and for your own form

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
sit down and go over a variety of topics that would be both interesting and expanding tailored just for you. Something that will make you research, think, discover or develop a portion of Kenpo just for you...... could be on any of the basics, forms, sets, drills, sparring, competition, or any other area of the Art...... I'm sure you will come up with a good topic.

:asian:

OP
K

kenpokid

How did any of you come up with your subject as im finding it hard. How did you decide what to do for your form too.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My form thesis was on "Kick Defense". I went back and examined what we had in the system, we didn't have a "defensive kicking set" so thats what I did.

You can do your form on many areas........ How bout.....
A form on......
Just - Front Grabs
Rear Grabs
Kicks
Multiple attacks
Create a new 2 man or 3 man form
Create a weapon form
etc etc.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh ok, for I was thinking you came up with another kicking set done defensively (there's that TKD thinking again) :shrug:

OP
K

kenpokid

Hi

how did you actually choose you title for your written thesis.

As im struggling with mine as i dont know wat to write about.

Cheers

For the help

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I actually presented my instructor with an idea verbally first. I was waivering between doing something statistically based i.e. writing a paper after gather written responses from Kenpo Schools across the country, and doing something more personal. Due to my profession at the time, I decided to do something regarding psychological preparation for violence, physiological reactions in violent situations, and how this links with physical preparedness. Although I had not yet done the work, I knew it was of interest to me. After discussing it with my teacher, he approved the more experiencial paper.

Then a few weeks later I turned in a very brief outline to him of the actual paper. He approved this, then he did not see it again until right before my test.

Somewhere in the middle of writing the thesis, I came up with the title. It seemed to tie things together within the paper. I called it "Positive Aggression".

I ended up including "Spiritual Preparedness" as a separate section of the paper, thinking about the "Body, Mind, and Spirit" triangle in the salute. Camps with Mr. LaBounty focusing on a strong spirit helped. You know the Orange Belt Saying - "Condition and guts take over where knowledge and skill end." I would add "that through conditioning and guts, the spirit gains strength."

If you are interested in a paper which draws from a statistical sample, the internet in general, and this forum in particular, gives you an excellent statistical base from which you can collect data. People reply to the surveys on this forum and the same question could be placed in several different Arts strings or forums, not just Kenpo on MartialTalk. This could be interesting, although the respondants would be self-selecting, i.e. Martial Artists who use the internet. It leaves out a big statistical chunk, probably the majority of actual Martial Artist in training in the United States.

Just a thought, someone else has probably already been there & done that for some topics, but there are so many you can choose from.

-Good Luck and Good Writing,
-Michael B.

Latest Discussions