Black Belt Test

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My feet, my hands and knuckles, and my entire body hurts, ouchy!!! :(

Thank god it's over!
FYI, yesterday we had our black belt test :asian:
I'm out, I'm going back to bed, I'll talk to you sportsfans later...

P.S. Where's my Motrin

A

artful dodger

Congrats.
What's your style and what did you have to do for your test?
T.K
Desiree

B

Bagatha

Hahaha The memory doesnt fade very quickly, 2 years later people still ask me..."when are you going for 2nd?" Im like.....ummm.....not for AWHILE! lol.

OP
cali_tkdbruin

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by artful dodger

Congrats.
What's your style and what did you have to do for your test?
T.K
Desiree

Our dojang is affiliated with the World Taekwondo Federation.

The test was hard!!!

First we had to do all of the Taekwondo poomse (forms/kata for the Karate people). We started with Kibon, white belt poomse all the way through Koryo (the Black Belt form). Then, later, one on one, the Sabumnim (our master Instructor,7th Dan-degree black belt) started shouting out poomse names, and we individually
had to step up and perform in front of all the other the masters
up on the board the poomse he, our master, ordered.

Then, after doing the one step sparring, combination hand techniques, and falling, tumbling and self defense and grappling techniques,we had to break 10 different boards using our Teakwondo foot and hand techniques. Included were all kinds of hand strikes (punches and knife hands, and who the "F" says we in Taekwondo don't use 'um?) and also of course our infamous kicks.

Finally, we had to do the push ups, 100+. And, since some of the other BB candidates didn't sound off, the Masters threw on an extra 50+ push ups.

All I know is my BB 1st dan (degree) test, 3+ American hours later,was hard.

NO BODY can say to my face that Taekwondo is a punk *** art.
If you train at the correct school, under the proper Master, it's NOT a punk *** art. Your are only as good as your Master instructor. :asian:

Taekwondoists are not people I want to antagnonize :karate:

K

Kong

That sounds like a very good promotion test, congratulations!!!
But didn`t you do any free sparring?

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin wrote:

<NO BODY can say to my face that Taekwondo is a punk *** art.
If you train at the correct school, under the proper Master, it's NOT a punk *** art. Your are only as good as your Master instructor. :asian:

Taekwondoists are not people I want to antagnonize :karate: >

Amen, Cali! And congrads on your test :)

OP
cali_tkdbruin

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kong

That sounds like a very good promotion test, congratulations!!!
But didn`t you do any free sparring?

How could I leave out mention of the scraps part of our test?
Brain freeze I guess, but, yes, we did have to spar as part of our BB test. Ouchy! :boxing:

It was tons of fun though...

K

Kong

Do you do olympic style sparring at you`re promotions, or do you just do the light contact type with no safety gear?
Your school seems to have a nice and thorough curriculum for your testings! goodforya:asian:

OP
cali_tkdbruin

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yup, thanks for asking. But, yes, we do nothing but full contact sparring at our dojang.
Just check out these nice purple bruises :^)

Taekwondo, gotta love it...

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by cali_tkdbruin

NO BODY can say to my face that Taekwondo is a punk *** art.
If you train at the correct school, under the proper Master, it's NOT a punk *** art. Your are only as good as your Master instructor.

When I was younger, I thought TKD was a "punk *** art" (your words, not mine, though the sentiment was the same).

As I have aged (gracefully, I hope), I have come to the realization that when it comes down to it, it isn't the art that fights, but the fighter. Your comment is so true and so simple that it almost doesn't even merit commentary: you are only as good as the person that teaches you.

While I don't give 2 sh*ts about lineage and the like, if the person who taught you doesn't have clue one about what they are doing, then all the years you put into training will amount to squat.

Congratulations on your test. Now the real pain begins...

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

T

TKDman

Its funny what people in white pajamas with a little black belt make other people do. Did you ever sit and think about how funny it looks to be in white pajamas and do forms or drills?

cassidy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have a black belt in three styles and like a sucker I decided to go for my wtf black belt not knowing how unknowledgable my instructor was.He is a fifth degree in wtf and I have seen hsi students not even know almost any hand strikes at all.I got my black belt from him recently and that is the last he will see of me.He just has a blank look if I say kenpo,aikido,or shotokan karate he has no idea what I am talking about.I would advice anyone not to bother with wtf schools and there ridiculous contracts.Go itf if you are sold on tkd

A

Angus

Not a place for the WTF vs. ITF arguments. Just because YOU went to a bad school doesn't mean they ALL are. You instructor is not every instructor.

R

RCastillo

My congrats also! I hope your journey is one that will last a lifetime!:asian:

T

TkdWarrior

congrats dude...that sounds like gooooooooood school...
someone mention ITF so lemme tell u i hav seen both good n bad teachers in both(ITF n WTF) styles so it's not worth mentioning about...the idea is get better teacher then u should be able to do it...
"if the student is good he'll learn from every possible source..
if he's not then he cannot learn..."
no offence dude but i ask every new practiioner to be become good student ...
-TkdWarrior-

T

TkdWarrior

congrats dude...that sounds like gooooooooood school...
someone mention ITF so lemme tell u i hav seen both good n bad teachers in both(ITF n WTF) styles so it's not worth mentioning about...the idea is get better teacher then u should be able to do it...
"if the student is good he'll learn from every possible source..
if he's not then he cannot learn..."
no offence dude but i ask every new practiioner to be become good student ...
-TkdWarrior-

Latest Discussions