Black Belt Test Fees

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello, Wondering what the norm is around the country for 4th, 5th and 6th Dan test fees? My old instructor is still charging $4800 for 4th Dan?!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's just nuts. You should run. I'm serious.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's pricey. I paid $800 for my 4th dan fees and I recognized that included KKW registration along with a nice profit for my master. I was OK with it, but I knew this part of doing business (I bought a school from him too).

I would not pay $4800 unless it came with considerably more fanfare and benefits than what I received.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, Wondering what the norm is around the country for 4th, 5th and 6th Dan test fees? My old instructor is still charging $4800 for 4th Dan?!

Our fee for 4th Dan is about $600, a chunk of which is spent bringing in a couple of Masters to be judges.
For $4800, I hope you're getting the large economy size jar of lube.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have never paid for an Isshin Ryu rank test, at any belt level. I have paid for a belt when it changed colors. $10 a pop. It's killing me with these expenses! ;) Thank goodness I finally made it into the black belt ranks, the color won't change anymore! Whew!

I am not going to say anyone else's system is wrong. It is what it is. Everyone has to make their own choices.

The fees didn't figure into my decision about which system to train in, but I'm awfully glad I don't get nickel-and-dimed every time I turn around.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
This appears you are paying for the privilege to rank not by work and skill development but through the purchasing of your rank with money. Are you the only person testing and having to bear the total cost of the event yourself?
The greatest amount of money I have ever paid for a ranking was $150.00.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Never paid for a rank test in kali or kenpo (graded through full and high instructor ranks in both), clearly we are crappy salesmen.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I presume that since this thread is in the TKD section, you're specifically asking about TKD belt fees. I can't address that, but I can speak to fees in some other arts if it helps give perspective.

When I was in the Bujinkan, there was no belt test, the fee for my shodan certificate was $100. I understand that fees for the higher dan levels went a few times higher. This was about 20 years ago, so prices may have gone up.

When I got my instructor license in the Thai Boxing Association, I had to pay a small annual fee for my TBA membership. (Which I've since let lapse, so I suppose that means my license is no longer officially valid.)

There was no fee for my black belt in American kickboxing.

I have never paid any fees for any rank in BJJ and don't expect that I ever will. If I wanted to compete in IBJJF sanctioned tournaments as a black belt I would have to pay the IBJJF a registration fee of $400 + $150 annually. Since I have no plans to compete in those particular tournaments and the IBJJF has no relevance to my training it is highly unlikely that I will ever pay those rip-off artists a dime.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Something to consider, and I am not saying that $4800 is worth it or not, is are you willing to support your instructor by paying the amount to test.

My instructor came here from Korea back in the 60's, and teaching TKD is his career. I respect him and his teaching enough to pay a few hundred dollars for my dan testing fees, as without him, I would not have had the opportunity to learn the skill sets that I now have.

I don't believe that the rank test itself costs that much, but I wish to support my teacher earn a living. For what it's worth, I paid about $800 for my 6th dan test, and for the previous 6 years he received no money from me. From that perspective, I feel it was money well spent to help keep a roof over my teacher's head.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Look at the big picture, not just the one number. Is it $4800 for a half day thing at his gym and a certificate? Might be a little out there, especially if it is onto of regular tuition.

If it is from a reputable "brand" and is treated more as a licensing deal when you run your own school allowing you to use their brand and promote within it, along with mentorship in growing your school and being a better instructor... that's a different sort of financial arrangement.

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It sounds more like a Franchise fee. If not, it is definitely an excessive amount.

I know of a school that charges $1500 for there black belt test, but it is a franchise fee as well. You just lose it, if you decide not to open a school under that affiliation.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In TKD, testing fees are very common, for a variety of reasons. But I think that's pretty far outside the norm, even for a 4th dan test. I think something in the range of $500-1500 would be more typical.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any chance you can test but not be 'official' in the affiliation (get registered) for a cheaper price? If you're not planning on opening a school, no real reason to pay for the registration.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm still stunned by the figure in the OP.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I would be a third dan for the rest of my martial arts career and be perfectly happy beating the black off of those 4th, 5th, and 6th dans.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to hear numbers that high, especially for 4th Dan, back in the days before official Kukkiwon fees were well-known, but I'm surprised that anyone is still managing to get that much now.

But who knows, maybe the test includes a down payment on an official "black belt club" car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

I note that he is your "Old" instructor. Does "Old" = Former? Also, do you learn of these fees or adjusted for time inflation something like that when you sign up, or is it a "Surprise".?

Latest Discussions