Black Belt/Sash/Rank at a young age...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And look not everybody would be expected to jump in the cage at 14 or ever.

Some martial arts are going to be geared towards little or no contact.

Personal choice.

I could very easily get on my high horse and say if a black belt has never fought then he is not a real black belt.

Bjj tends towards this idea.

But again because of personal choice I don't feel people have to.

That is all true. MMA is popular, so personally, I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to train at an MMA gym, but just have no desire to fight in the ring, for whatever reason. As for the contact....again, true....to each his own I suppose. Everyone trains for various reasons. I prefer not to use what I call the side benefits, ie: fitness, meeting new people, etc, as the sole purpose for training. I don't need the arts to help me stay in shape, though as I said its a side benefit. I train for SD. I want the ability to raise the odds in my favor, should the need arise. That said, if the first time you take a good shot, is in a real fight, don't be surprised at the outcome, if you get knocked on your ***. :) My point...I'd rather get used to the contact in the controlled setting. But again, that's just me. :)

Another thread was started on the whole injury thing. We should focus that discussion over there. This thread is about young kids getting a black belt. On that matter, I stand by what I said earlier. A 5yr old BB is a joke. A 12yo 2nd or 3rd degree BB is also a joke. But that's just my opinion. Apparently others share it too. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is all true. MMA is popular, so personally, I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to train at an MMA gym, but just have no desire to fight in the ring, for whatever reason. As for the contact....again, true....to each his own I suppose. Everyone trains for various reasons. I prefer not to use what I call the side benefits, ie: fitness, meeting new people, etc, as the sole purpose for training. I don't need the arts to help me stay in shape, though as I said its a side benefit. I train for SD. I want the ability to raise the odds in my favor, should the need arise. That said, if the first time you take a good shot, is in a real fight, don't be surprised at the outcome, if you get knocked on your ***. :) My point...I'd rather get used to the contact in the controlled setting. But again, that's just me. :)

Another thread was started on the whole injury thing. We should focus that discussion over there. This thread is about young kids getting a black belt. On that matter, I stand by what I said earlier. A 5yr old BB is a joke. A 12yo 2nd or 3rd degree BB is also a joke. But that's just my opinion. Apparently others share it too. :)

Ok but what happens when we raise that.

(Going into mma duchebag mode)

90% of blackbelts are jokes. I routenly demolish them in the gym in the street. I train harder,fight harder and am more physically capable because the expectation on me is higher.

You are a joke if you have never had a fight.
If you have never been hit.
If you think training twice a week will cut it.
If you are not as strong as you can be.

I mean sure have your black belt wear it to parties impress girls. Don't use it as an indication of fighting because you don't.

Now personally I think that stance is a bit mean spirited to people who are actively trying to do something and have been rewarded for their effort.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What you said was.

At the end of the day a black belt is not transferable. It represents a level within any particular organisation. If your organisation gives out black belts to 8 year olds fine, but don't expect others to look at that with more than a mild amusement.
"At the end of the day a black belt is not transferable. It represents a level within any particular organisation".

and

"... a belt is only a measure of progress within a particular style."

Isn't what I said?
:idunno:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This thread is about young kids getting a black belt. On that matter, I stand by what I said earlier. A 5yr old BB is a joke. A 12yo 2nd or 3rd degree BB is also a joke. But that's just my opinion. Apparently others share it too. :)
:cheers:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

90% of blackbelts are jokes. I routenly demolish them in the gym in the street. I train harder,fight harder and am more physically capable because the expectation on me is higher.

I mean sure have your black belt wear it to parties impress girls. Don't use it as an indication of fighting because you don't.

Now personally I think that stance is a bit mean spirited to people who are actively trying to do something and have been rewarded for their effort.
OK, let's look at context. I would dispute your claim that 90% of black belts are jokes. I would agree that a very small percentage may be. But how do you gauge that? Sure we go into the cage where they have to play by your rules. So you go into a different dojo and now you play by their rules. Now you are the joke. Your black belt means nothing.

So you come into my dojo we spar, you submit me, you win. Regardless of the fact that before you took me down I took out your knee and damaged your spine. What have you prove? Oh yes, you demolished me ... right.

Just how many black belts have you demolished on the street? I wouldn't even know how to recognise one. And I would be unlikely to be fighting one because some one that has devoted that much time to training won't be fighting on the street unless some dickhead attacks him first, or are you saying you are deliberately picking fights to test your skills? Some of my mates used to do that back in the 60s but you go to jail for that now.

And I am impressed, really. I mean I only train in the gym 5 or 6 hours a week and train karate, Krav and Aikido about 10 hours a week. But at 16 or 17 I would expect you to be fitter and stronger than me at 65. But the difference is, you are training to compete and to compete physically. I am training because I love the MA scene and I have mates training with me. I can explore the kata and look for the hidden applications. I don't live in the expectation of being attacked in the street, even by someone with your undisputed strength and ability, but if that were to occur, I can take heavy punches and I am pretty much as fit and strong as I can be and I handle young aggressive guys in the dojo all the time. Such an attacker is very likely to get a nasty surprise if he was to attack me or my family on the street. :)

By your definition I am at least not one of your 90% jokes and I must confess it never occurred to me to wear my black belt to a party to impress the girls. I must admit I have put a belt on to play karate with my five year old grandson but he normally gives me a coloured belt and he likes the yellow one the best. ;)

And you're right, it is mean spirited to demean the effort people have put in to their training. But when my five year old grandson ties my black belt around his waist, it is a joke.
:asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

LOL..no, I don't think that everyone that does MMA is a DB. :) OTOH, there are some that are, but we see that all over so....

Seriously though...I've got no problem with MMA or anyone that trains it. I enjoy watching it, I have friends that train it. I still enjoy working out with them. :) Funny what you said in your comment though, as I tend to believe that A LOT of BB's out there, are, well...a joke. Nothing wrong with never being in a fight. IMO, going out looking for trouble is rather stupid. I've talked my way out of more than I've been in, so I take that as a plus. Been hit...hard, many times. Like I said, everyone has their reasons for training. I have mine, and I'd rather pay for my mistakes in the dojo, and make the corrections, than get hit for the first time in the street, and crumble from the pain. Training time...real life gets in the way. I'd say 2-3 times/week, unless you're a pro fighter and THAT is your daily job, is good. Of course, if you can go more, than great! :) Strength...well, given we tend to live in a land of fatties, I'd say taking care of yourself should be high on the priority list.

Honestly, I'm not really sure where you fall regarding this topic. Are you for or against young BBs? Hey, just because I might think something is a joke..well, if someone disagrees, that's cool...I'll respect their opinion. Sorry though...just because a kid started training at 5, doesn't mean that at 10, they should be a BB, and then at 14, a 2nd dan, but that's just me. I'm sure the next question will be, "So, what will you do with that 5yr old? Make them wait 11yrs before giving them a BB?" Umm...sure, why not? Problem today, is that everyone is in a rush, and everyone thinks the BB is something magical. It isn't. Trust me, in 28yrs of training, I've seen people wearing a BB, saw them perform, and thought, "Good Lord, this guy is a BB!?!?!?" Alrighty then. :) I mean really...are school owners that afraid of the parents, that they can't say, "Well Mr. and Mrs. Jones, your kid is more than welcome to train at my school. However, there are some things that you should know about my expectations and the way I do things." Hey, when I started Kyokushin, my teacher told me to take a few trial sessions, to see if this was for me. Afterall, he said it wouldn't be easy. I figured, how hard could it be? I trained for years in Kenpo, felt I was in good shape. how different can the training possibly be?? Well, I'll say this. That 1hr class kicked my ***! I was soaked when I left and felt like a newb to the arts. I worked harder 20min in, than I did in an hour Kenpo class. Sad but true.

I said in an earlier post...at my dojo, there are youth black belts. I also said that my teacher doesn't hand out rank, especially the black belt rank. These kids will test for the adult BB when they're older, but nonetheless, looking at them now, and there's a small handful of them, they're head and shoulders above other kids their age, wearing BBs.

generalneon

White Belt
Reaction score
Man, oh man.

I'm sorry, but I'm getting a little peeved. To look at these comments, feeling that the elitists of martial arts are poo-pooing the accomplishments of my daughter is quite frustrating.

She has been training for nearly six years, taking at least three classes every week, usually ends up five or six per, has absorbed, processed, and enacted almost every scrap of advice towards her training, and proven her skills and knowledge at every opportunity. The tests she takes do not have any difference for any age group, you do what you gotta do to pass. She has run out of room for the trophies she has earned at tournaments, and has them lying about in her room. She helps teach the lower belts on forms and techniques, reiterating lessons that she learned from past years. Yet, somehow, due to her young age, her ranking is deemed a joke?

Is there some magical age at which a martial artist "gets it"? What kind of actions or behavior needs to be displayed to signify that one "gets it"? If someone younger than your mystical time allotment displays that they "get it", why is that person not given the proper ranking that they clearly earned? Why do students past the age barrier that pass any test are assumed that they "get it"?

First and foremost, in the most simple form, martial arts are taught to defend yourself from an attack. Not to show off exotic moves, not to so Hollywood stunt work, to defend yourself. No doubt, anyone untrained that comes up against my daughter is gonna get hurt. Someone much larger than her, she can hurt them and get away. That's just physics, too large an individual and anyone would have difficulties. Anyone her size, and they would be getting that attacker up off the floor with a squeegee.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Man, oh man.

I'm sorry, but I'm getting a little peeved. To look at these comments, feeling that the elitists of martial arts are poo-pooing the accomplishments of my daughter is quite frustrating.

Yet earlier, you said that everyone was entitled to their opinion, no? I'm sorry that you're taking offense to the opinions of others. Elitists..lol...no, I don't consider myself above and beyond anyone. I'm just stating a) my opinion and b) the reality of what we see in many schools today, which is a bunch of young kids wearing black belts and watered down arts.

She has been training for nearly six years, taking at least three classes every week, usually ends up five or six per, has absorbed, processed, and enacted almost every scrap of advice towards her training, and proven her skills and knowledge at every opportunity. The tests she takes do not have any difference for any age group, you do what you gotta do to pass. She has run out of room for the trophies she has earned at tournaments, and has them lying about in her room. She helps teach the lower belts on forms and techniques, reiterating lessons that she learned from past years. Yet, somehow, due to her young age, her ranking is deemed a joke?

Hey, I give props to your daughter. At least she's doing something productive, rather than sitting on the couch, watching tv and playing video games. However, I still can't grasp the idea of giving someone young, a BB, much less a 2nd dan. So, you're telling me, that at 10yrs old, she can not only perform a technique or kata, but she also has a working knowledge of the ins and outs of said tech. and kata? She understands and can give 1-2 applications for each move in a kata, she can understand how a tech. works, can adapt that tech under changing circumstances, can teach it, etc.?

Is there some magical age at which a martial artist "gets it"? What kind of actions or behavior needs to be displayed to signify that one "gets it"? If someone younger than your mystical time allotment displays that they "get it", why is that person not given the proper ranking that they clearly earned? Why do students past the age barrier that pass any test are assumed that they "get it"?

See above and past posts from me. I mentioned 16 at least, preferably 18, before someone gets a BB. So, going on what you feel, you'd be perfectly fine with someone being a 5th dan under the age of 21? No offense, but this is the attitude that I was talking about earlier...where the teacher is too afraid to say no, and the parents and child thinks that because they've trained for the average time, they should and/or better be awarded the belt. Sorry, I call BS on that. Furthermore, just because someone is past the age barrier, as you call it, still doesn't guarantee they'll 'get it'. The odds would probably be a bit higher...I mean, someone who's 18, 20, 21, is probably going to grasp something a bit better than a 10yr old.

On another note...what I find interesting is you look at an art like BJJ, where it's taken people 10yrs to gain a BB, and you don't see all the crying and moaning about rank. The place where I train now, is by far, the most traditional, old school dojo's that I've ever trained at. Yet despite kids at that school having BB's, they're all considered junior black belts. They'll still have to test and perform to the adult standards when they're old enough.

First and foremost, in the most simple form, martial arts are taught to defend yourself from an attack. Not to show off exotic moves, not to so Hollywood stunt work, to defend yourself. No doubt, anyone untrained that comes up against my daughter is gonna get hurt. Someone much larger than her, she can hurt them and get away. That's just physics, too large an individual and anyone would have difficulties. Anyone her size, and they would be getting that attacker up off the floor with a squeegee.

I agree that they're all about SD, fighting, etc. Who said anything about exotic moves or Hollywood stunt work??

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL..no, I don't think that everyone that does MMA is a DB. :) OTOH, there are some that are, but we see that all over so....

Seriously though...I've got no problem with MMA or anyone that trains it. I enjoy watching it, I have friends that train it. I still enjoy working out with them. :) Funny what you said in your comment though, as I tend to believe that A LOT of BB's out there, are, well...a joke. Nothing wrong with never being in a fight. IMO, going out looking for trouble is rather stupid. I've talked my way out of more than I've been in, so I take that as a plus. Been hit...hard, many times. Like I said, everyone has their reasons for training. I have mine, and I'd rather pay for my mistakes in the dojo, and make the corrections, than get hit for the first time in the street, and crumble from the pain. Training time...real life gets in the way. I'd say 2-3 times/week, unless you're a pro fighter and THAT is your daily job, is good. Of course, if you can go more, than great! :) Strength...well, given we tend to live in a land of fatties, I'd say taking care of yourself should be high on the priority list.

Honestly, I'm not really sure where you fall regarding this topic. Are you for or against young BBs? Hey, just because I might think something is a joke..well, if someone disagrees, that's cool...I'll respect their opinion. Sorry though...just because a kid started training at 5, doesn't mean that at 10, they should be a BB, and then at 14, a 2nd dan, but that's just me. I'm sure the next question will be, "So, what will you do with that 5yr old? Make them wait 11yrs before giving them a BB?" Umm...sure, why not? Problem today, is that everyone is in a rush, and everyone thinks the BB is something magical. It isn't. Trust me, in 28yrs of training, I've seen people wearing a BB, saw them perform, and thought, "Good Lord, this guy is a BB!?!?!?" Alrighty then. :) I mean really...are school owners that afraid of the parents, that they can't say, "Well Mr. and Mrs. Jones, your kid is more than welcome to train at my school. However, there are some things that you should know about my expectations and the way I do things." Hey, when I started Kyokushin, my teacher told me to take a few trial sessions, to see if this was for me. Afterall, he said it wouldn't be easy. I figured, how hard could it be? I trained for years in Kenpo, felt I was in good shape. how different can the training possibly be?? Well, I'll say this. That 1hr class kicked my ***! I was soaked when I left and felt like a newb to the arts. I worked harder 20min in, than I did in an hour Kenpo class. Sad but true.

I said in an earlier post...at my dojo, there are youth black belts. I also said that my teacher doesn't hand out rank, especially the black belt rank. These kids will test for the adult BB when they're older, but nonetheless, looking at them now, and there's a small handful of them, they're head and shoulders above other kids their age, wearing BBs.

Each club should be allowed to make the decision for themselves. I have no issue with child black belts some will know their stuff some won't. In all seriousness it is a hobby for most people. Let them get some reward for it.

Accepting a child black belt helps people to be humble.

So the difference is if people said in there own system they do a b c. Fine and for whatever reason.

But they are making judgement on other clubs which is not. Honestly it is sneaky style bashing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Man, oh man.

It is the elitist attitude I have an issue with as well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"At the end of the day a black belt is not transferable. It represents a level within any particular organisation".

and

"... a belt is only a measure of progress within a particular style."

Isn't what I said?
:idunno:

And they should expect to be looked on with mild amusement.

I would never consider someone else's progress a joke.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Each club should be allowed to make the decision for themselves. I have no issue with child black belts some will know their stuff some won't. In all seriousness it is a hobby for most people. Let them get some reward for it.

So the difference is if people said in there own system they do a b c. Fine and for whatever reason.

But they are making judgement on other clubs which is not. Honestly it is sneaky style bashing.

Funny you talk about style bashing, seeing that MMA is one of the biggest offenders of that.

It is the elitist attitude I have an issue with as well.

Yet in this post, he said:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sh...ash-Rank-at-a-young-age?p=1625042#post1625042

we're entitled to our opinions. Funny, how when we voice those opinions, we're suddenly elitist. Go figure.

As I've said in the past, I'm not the martial arts police, nor do I choose to be. I know what I can/can't do, and I'm more than happy with the folks that I train with, both in and out of the dojo, as well as with the arts that I train. If someone chooses to devalue something, well, all I can do is shake my head. Of course, if someone asks, either in person or on a forum, my opinion of a good art, qualities, etc, I'm going to give them an honest opinion. Sorry to offend people...I didn't realize so many folks today, are made of glass, but I c all it like I see it I'm tired of sugar coating something, just to make someone feel good. I mean, if someone sucks, why not tell them? Why make them walk around thinking they're good? My teachers have no issues with correcting me...hell I want them to! If I'm not performing well, I want to know, so I can fix that. But yes, I'm sorry, but it is my opinion that mcdojos, and kids with black belts and 2nd, 3rd, 4th dan black belts, is a joke!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Funny you talk about style bashing, seeing that MMA is one of the biggest offenders of that.

Yet in this post, he said:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sh...ash-Rank-at-a-young-age?p=1625042#post1625042

we're entitled to our opinions. Funny, how when we voice those opinions, we're suddenly elitist. Go figure.

As I've said in the past, I'm not the martial arts police, nor do I choose to be. I know what I can/can't do, and I'm more than happy with the folks that I train with, both in and out of the dojo, as well as with the arts that I train. If someone chooses to devalue something, well, all I can do is shake my head. Of course, if someone asks, either in person or on a forum, my opinion of a good art, qualities, etc, I'm going to give them an honest opinion. Sorry to offend people...I didn't realize so many folks today, are made of glass, but I c all it like I see it I'm tired of sugar coating something, just to make someone feel good. I mean, if someone sucks, why not tell them? Why make them walk around thinking they're good? My teachers have no issues with correcting me...hell I want them to! If I'm not performing well, I want to know, so I can fix that. But yes, I'm sorry, but it is my opinion that mcdojos, and kids with black belts and 2nd, 3rd, 4th dan black belts, is a joke!

Who's style have I bashed?

I am working from a mma perspective as everybody is working from their own.

I haven't been here that long and have not come across a mmaer bashing styles.

The issue with telling people they suck is it is mostly unproductive. It doesn't help someone learn it doesn't help there confidence it does not improve there training.

It is designed to make the person saying it feel better.

If I went around telling people they sucked my coach would drop me on my head.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Did I mention your name?

Ok.

I understand that. So as to not sidetrack this thread, I'd be happy to PM you links to threads.

1) The issue with telling people they suck is it is mostly unproductive. It doesn't help someone learn it doesn't help there confidence it does not improve there training.

2) It is designed to make the person saying it feel better.

3) If I went around telling people they sucked my coach would drop me on my head.

1) Ok, ok...maybe saying the word 'suck' was a bit rough. How about telling someone that they're not performing their material well, that they need to put more power into what they're doing, not be so sloppy with stances, that they need to put more effort into what they're doing? Whatever choice of wording you decide to use, we, as teachers, should not fear telling a student their performance is poor. Again, why sugarcoat something?

2) Actually, as a teacher, its our job to teach and make sure our students are learning correctly. I makes me feel good to see them progress. But again, if they're not doing something right, I'm going to tell them. That doesn't make me a bad guy. Not saying anything, is doing more of a dis-service, both to the student and the teacher!

3) Ok. And as I said, since 'sucked' was a poor choice, I think you know what I'm talking about.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course, if someone asks, either in person or on a forum, my opinion of a good art, qualities, etc, I'm going to give them an honest opinion. Sorry to offend people...I didn't realize so many folks today, are made of glass, but I c all it like I see it I'm tired of sugar coating something, just to make someone feel good. I mean, if someone sucks, why not tell them? Why make them walk around thinking they're good?

people don't actually want to hear this from an outside source. generally they will only accept this from a very limited number of people: their teacher or other classmates. But they will not accept it from others.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I seem to recall you posted:
So you are saying this young child is one of the 10% of black belts who is not a joke? Yep, I can see that ... not!

Of course not, but perhaps refer to your comment above and please explain.

The issue with telling people they suck is it is mostly unproductive. It doesn't help someone learn it doesn't help there confidence it does not improve there training.

It is designed to make the person saying it feel better.

If I went around telling people they sucked my coach would drop me on my head.
Mate. According to you 90% of black belts are a joke and that you routinely beat them in the ring and on the street. Isn't that saying they suck? If it isn't I'd like to know how you feel about the really bad ones.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did I mention your name?

Ok.

I understand that. So as to not sidetrack this thread, I'd be happy to PM you links to threads.

1) Ok, ok...maybe saying the word 'suck' was a bit rough. How about telling someone that they're not performing their material well, that they need to put more power into what they're doing, not be so sloppy with stances, that they need to put more effort into what they're doing? Whatever choice of wording you decide to use, we, as teachers, should not fear telling a student their performance is poor. Again, why sugarcoat something?

2) Actually, as a teacher, its our job to teach and make sure our students are learning correctly. I makes me feel good to see them progress. But again, if they're not doing something right, I'm going to tell them. That doesn't make me a bad guy. Not saying anything, is doing more of a dis-service, both to the student and the teacher!

3) Ok. And as I said, since 'sucked' was a poor choice, I think you know what I'm talking about.

1) If it wasn't directed at me why post it? The mmaers I train with are more concerned with getting their own stuff right. Everybody trained their style because they think it is better. That has to be taken for granted.

3) I do but I still don't agree. Way back I posted as an example a down syndrome kid getting a black belt. I remembered it because another forum had that discussion the same way we are discussing kids.

How can he teach now can he fight. He is not a really real representation of the effort it takes to make it to black belt. And there same deal just let him have the belt. It is not worth crushing students who may never excel to support the egos of those who do.

That is what competition is for. (Actually that is a bit throwaway. Comps are generally pretty respectfull.)

Correcting someone so they are better is different to never grading them.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I seem to recall you posted:
So you are saying this young child is one of the 10% of black belts who is not a joke? Yep, I can see that ... not!

Of course not, but perhaps refer to your comment above and please explain.

Mate. According to you 90% of black belts are a joke and that you routinely beat them in the ring and on the street. Isn't that saying they suck? If it isn't I'd like to know how you feel about the really bad ones.

You didn't understand the context.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
1) If it wasn't directed at me why post it? The mmaers I train with are more concerned with getting their own stuff right. Everybody trained their style because they think it is better. That has to be taken for granted.

What?? LOL!! So, let me get this straight. You assume that something I said was geared to you...just because you train MMA? LOL! Relax dude. Trust me, if I was gearing it to you, I'd have made my intent clear. :) If you read what I said earlier, you'd have seen that I said that I enjoy MMA, I like watching it, I like going to see the fights, I have good friends that train in it, and I work out with those folks as well. If I thought every guy that trained MMA was a DB, as you called it earlier, why would I do any of those things?

No comment on my #2?

3) I do but I still don't agree. Way back I posted as an example a down syndrome kid getting a black belt. I remembered it because another forum had that discussion the same way we are discussing kids.

How can he teach now can he fight. He is not a really real representation of the effort it takes to make it to black belt. And there same deal just let him have the belt. It is not worth crushing students who may never excel to support the egos of those who do.

Correcting someone so they are better is different to never grading them.
That is what competition is for.

If you were paying attention, you'd have noticed what I said to you here:

"We're not all clones of each other, so adjustments will need to be made. A 5'3 female, trying to reach the face of a 6'2 male, is probably going to be difficult, so yes, adjustments will need to be made. Will the fitness level of a 23yo male be different than that of a 60yo male? Probably. Even with age, size, sex, etc, differences, standards can still be held accordingly."

Ahh...that's what competition is for? So, let me get this straight. You're saying it's wrong if you don't stroke the ego of someone and make them feel good in class, handing out the belts, etc, but step into the ring and it's ok to show them that they're not all they're cracked up to be? LOL. Don't crush their ego in the classroom, hand them that 2nd dan, but crush their ego in competition?

And if you don't agree, that's fine. That's your opinion, and unlike some others, I'll respect it. We can agree to disagree. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Remember what you said here:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sh...ash-Rank-at-a-young-age?p=1625227#post1625227

This implies that that MMA people can be DB's. Yet in this post you say the opposite. Like I said, every art has a few bad apples. It doesn't mean that the art as a whole is bad, because of a few DB's. :)

Latest Discussions