Black Belt Questions

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to test for black belt in July. What does a "normal" black belt test look like in KM? Does your orginization offer training beyond black belt, or does your curriculum have a dead end? What expectations are there in the Krav Maga community? Just some basic questions here.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see any responses you get -- but it might help if you identify which KM organization you're testing in. I understand that there are noteworthy differences in how some of them are run.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't realise KM 'did' black belts. In fact I didn't realise they did gradings so I'll be watching as well.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't realise KM 'did' black belts. In fact I didn't realise they did gradings so I'll be watching as well.
Some do, some don't. Many just have levels , ie, levels one through six. Krav Maga Worldwide is one who utalizes colored belts.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see any responses you get -- but it might help if you identify which KM organization you're testing in. I understand that there are noteworthy differences in how some of them are run.
Most of our curriculum is straight out of the Krav Maga Worldwide curriculum, however, I am testing under a small group; Combat Krav maga. Not- Combat Krav Maga International. That's a different one. The system is accepted as a legitimate variant of Krav Maga from Krav Maga Worldwide.

Gutcha

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a member of the FEKM (European Federation of Krav Maga). We do have a black belt exam (which I'm taking this sunday, wish me luck !) and above. The founder of the FEKM, Richard Douieb, is a 6th dan black belt. That's the higher grade of our federation.

When you pass the black belt exam, you're considered an expert in the discipline. In lower grade, you're expected to learn the techniques and master them. When you pass the black belt in the FEKM, it is the same techniques as before in the lower belts but executed perfectly : with control, precision and speed. At this point, you normally have a 5 years experience in Krav Maga. And what differenciate a black belt from lower grades is the questioning. When you're an expert with a black belt, you have sufficient knowledge to question yourself about every details and the efficiency of the techniques in the reality. You start creating our own Krav Maga style. That's my point of view.

The FEKM also offers exam from 1st dan black to the 5th.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions