Black Belt Magazine

S

Shadow Hunter

More realistic? Is this a joke?

The latest issue I read had an article on dealing with stalkers by several martial artists. Excuse me, what made a black belt an automatic authority on stalking? Psycologists, Law Enforcement types... these are the folks I would pay attention to. But some bimbo that has starred in some chop socky flic?

Puh-lease.........

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The current (Oct. 2003) issue of Black Belt features an ad from Jim Wagner that has a box saying "Endorsed by Black Belt (magazine)" and a testimonial by a Black Belt editor.

The same high journalistic standards of the NY Times!

P

pknox

Originally posted by The 14th Style
First I would just like to say, Ick.:(

Second, I had kind of given up on Black Belt magazine. Most of the Martial Art Magazines out there seem to be just one big ad anyway. Are there any out there that aren't?
The 14th Style

Well, there's a few...

Furyu, put out by Wayne Muromoto, is a high quality publication that focuses on traditional Japanese/Okinawan arts, and seems to have a much smaller amount of ads than the big mags.

It also seems to me that the Journal of Asian Martial Arts and Aikido Today Magazine tend to have less ads than the others, as well as generally higher quality articles. Granted, ATM is usually much smaller in page size. But my guess is when you take the ads out of the "big" mags, it's comparable. Classical Fighting Arts (formerly Dragon Times) does have lots of ads, but the articles seem to be of a higher quality.

These all focus on traditional, usually Japanese or Okinawan arts, though JAMA does run articles about other arts a bit. I'm not sure what is out there for the more modern arts (other than of course the wonderful Martial Talk and The Martialist mags), but I wouldn't be surprised if a google search turned up some nice webzines.

P

pknox

Originally posted by stickarts
Many years ago i never missed a issue. Then it just seemed to get less interesting, and even the advertising didn't seem to bring me as many inquiries for my seminars. I haven't read it in ages now.

Same here. I tell you the one I really miss is MA Training magazine. I have a few old issues that I take out every once in a while. I've found quite a few of the training articles useful to this day.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with pknox about the good magazines he mentioned. I wish my local store carried Classical Fighting Arts. I don't subscribe to any of them any more, but buy the occasional issue.

P

pknox

Originally posted by arnisador
I agree with pknox about the good magazines he mentioned. I wish my local store carried Classical Fighting Arts. I don't subscribe to any of them any more, but buy the occasional issue.

arnisador -

Do you have a Borders by you? Supposedly all of them carry it.