Black Belt--krabikrabong article

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
i just read the krabikrabong article in the new black belt--it was pretty cool but didnt really go into depth on the art,i think our threads here were much deeper. the article mentions dan inosanto as the head of the art in the us? is this true?are there various organizations now as we had the previous thread on the krabikrabong usa.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe that thru Guro Dans Association w/ the TBA Ajarn Chai and his son training Krabi Krabong in the west, Dan has some position thru their group. I do not think anyone is saying that Dan rules all Krabi Krabong in the west. Maybe some miscommunication or second hand info. if that is believed.

I know Dan has a long time association w/ thai arts thru Chai and his family, so this TBA and its Krabi Krabong counterpart so to speak probably puts him as a reknowned resource for it. Not sure, check the Inosanto Academy website, i am sure it will clearly define what Guro Dan has as rank/experiance etc...

I am positive there are other associations w/ nothing to do with Guro Dan or Chai that still teach Krabi Krabong well, just not associated thru TBA or Chais relatives.

Please understand my expression is, I do not think Dan is claiming world head of all Krabi Krabong, ya see? Good Krabi Krabong is powerful regardless of assocaition in general, it is wether the practitioners have the sound principles and breath life into it.

PEACE

OP
destructautomaton

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
i was asking because i didnt realize there was an organization which is cool. i liked the thread here on the developing krabikrabong usa they were trying to do but i dont know what the status was or is.tt seems they have a teacher from thailand with master chai and master dan teaching with them now. its all cool from my perspective but i was just asking to see if anyone had further info on it..

Fede

Green Belt
Reaction score
From the looks of it, I had the impression that it was the KK I have seen demonstrated many times but this time a Colonel kind of represents it.

I saw a video promoting this KK, I am a bit curious but I am not expecting anything unusual, without wanting to look down on or to downgrade this work.

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I believe the article references the organization in the US guro dan set up with the late ajarn samai to preserve the buddhai sawan system. Guro Dan, Ajarn Chai, Chai's son, Stephen Wilson banded together under that umbrella. Colonel nattapong is an extension of the buddhai sawan teaching, so they continue their associations and teachings of the buddhai sawan school. I am not up on the current workings or status of this but I believe that is what is being referenced in the article.

There was a lot of massive confusion also because the late ajarn samai issued letters to give control of the system in the US at various intervals to different individuals which caused a morass of confusion. But there weren't any fights within the system luckily because of that. Things just kept shifting.

In terms of ALL krabi krabong in the US, it is not representative of that. There are other major Krabi Krabong schools/systems represented in the US that have nothing to do with that organization or that system. So that has been clearly understood and respected.

Buddhai Sawan is one of many major systems of krabi krabong in existence to today. The Buddhai Sawan method itself was special system of physical education crafted and propagated by the late Ajarn Samai Mesamarn personally from older methods. There are other systems and styles in existence that follow direct lineage to their creators taught and propagated in the US and Thailand.

BigWilliam

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I believe the article references the organization in the US guro dan set up with the late ajarn samai to preserve the buddhai sawan system. Guro Dan, Ajarn Chai, Chai's son, Stephen Wilson banded together under that umbrella. Colonel nattapong is an extension of the buddhai sawan teaching, so they continue their associations and teachings of the buddhai sawan school. I am not up on the current workings or status of this but I believe that is what is being referenced in the article.

That is my understanding as well. Thanks for pointing that out Vincent.

Best regards,
William

BigWilliam

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Krabi-Krabong Association of The United States

Btw, I just wanted to point out that there are differences in the Col. Nattapong material that I've seen as compared to what I've seen through Ajarn Wilson. Steve has worked with him at the Oregon TBA Summer camps. He went over this with us at the KK Camp I put on in October. Interesting and different.

destructautomaton said:
i was asking because i didnt realize there was an organization which is cool. i liked the thread here on the developing krabikrabong usa they were trying to do but i dont know what the status was or is.

Lets just say that I started that thread with the best of intentions. It seemed to be progressing and good conversations were going on in the thread and behind the scenes. Unfortunately there came a point, for whatever reason, where communication stopped with some parties. I'm not sure exactly why, but it is what it is. I'm still open to continuing open communication and propagation......but only time will tell.

Best regards,
William

Latest Discussions