BJJ - What they don't tell you

Discussion in 'Grappling / Brazilian Ju Jitsu / Wrestling' started by TMA17, Jun 7, 2018.

1. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I was also one of those people. I will point out that we (until we get some time working really close) are naturally easier to pressure backwards, because we instinctively tend to want that space back. It'd be worth getting into some close and tight grappling even for just a few months to reduce that natural tendency.

• Like Like x 2
  2. CrazedChris

CrazedChris Green Belt

I don't do BJJ, but I have to agree there are some uncomfortable positions to get used to in training. Yeah, I don't like to be pinned down, not sure if being a woman is more awkward than for a man, but I don't like it. But I will continue to do it so that I can learn how not to be in that position long.
    The mat rash thing was a surprise to me. First floor grappling class I went to, I think it was my 2nd class ever, I went home bloody, having torn up the top of my feet and my elbows. That was rough, wearing shoes to work the next week sucked. The sensei then told us in a halfway joking manner, if you don't get bruises or scrapes, you aren't doing it right..lol.

These sports are definitely addicting. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Deafdude#5

Deafdude#5 Orange Belt

Like I said, it’s a gradual process. You slowly build your strength, confidence and techniques through constant practice.
    Before you know it, it becomes a part of you that is almost instinctive.