BJJ - What they don't tell you

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with what everyone has said. I'm sure you get over it quickly. I've always been one of those people that likes a good deal of personal space, even when talking to people. I do want to become somewhat proficient at basic ground defense/grappling/kicking so at some point I will engage in it. Please don't mistake what I'm saying as a negative for grappling arts.
I was also one of those people. I will point out that we (until we get some time working really close) are naturally easier to pressure backwards, because we instinctively tend to want that space back. It'd be worth getting into some close and tight grappling even for just a few months to reduce that natural tendency.

CrazedChris

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't do BJJ, but I have to agree there are some uncomfortable positions to get used to in training. Yeah, I don't like to be pinned down, not sure if being a woman is more awkward than for a man, but I don't like it. But I will continue to do it so that I can learn how not to be in that position long.
The mat rash thing was a surprise to me. First floor grappling class I went to, I think it was my 2nd class ever, I went home bloody, having torn up the top of my feet and my elbows. That was rough, wearing shoes to work the next week sucked. The sensei then told us in a halfway joking manner, if you don't get bruises or scrapes, you aren't doing it right..lol.

These sports are definitely addicting. :)

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
Like I said, it’s a gradual process. You slowly build your strength, confidence and techniques through constant practice.
Before you know it, it becomes a part of you that is almost instinctive.

swivel63

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Plenty of Muay Thai instructors like BJJ. Plenty of BJJ instructors like Muay Thai. Some of us train and/or teach both. It’s not like the early days of BJJ where it was about proving one art at the expense of others.

yea, i train both. love jits, like thai. love the clinch.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, the sweaty thing...

It's not that I particularly like it, but I can cope - if it's fresh. I sweat, other guys I train with sweat, the women sweat, it's just part of physical activity. Suck it up (not literally, that's nasty ;)) and get on.

But, how do you deal with someone who has no comprehension of the term 'personal hygiene'?

The other night I got paired with someone during padwork (so not grappling, but follow along) and honestly, it felt like I was holding my breath for an hour and I was at like 2 arm lengths... Couple that with toenails that almost reach the ground where they've grown around the toe tips. I think that's descriptive enough.

He kept bringing up stuff about doing wrestling - really? Surely any coach would at least have a quiet word?

So, what would you grappling people do? Mention it or shun?

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've decided for myself that the local Israeli Krav Maga school or Phillly Self Defense school will be the best fit. I don't want to be a dedicated BJJ practitioner. Krav combines wrestling/combat/Japanese Jiu Jitsu and the Philly Self Defense school offers BJJ and Catch-Can wrestling, which I'm really interested in. I emailed PSD today to see about their catch wrestling program. Only issue with that place is it's a good 30 minutes away.

Instructors

Philadelphia JKD Grappling and Catch Wresting

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I get what outsiders think of bjj. Basically it looks like sex...bluntly that's what uneducated people would think of it and yes let's be honest a lot of positions you get in do seem a bit like it. But when your in class to me there's no uncomfortable feelings at all with anyone. I've rolled with men and women and no one felt any awkwardness simply that's the sport and everyone who trains understands it. Plus it's hard to feel awkward or uncomftoable when the other persons trying to put your arm in a position for it to break or put you in a choke that'll put you unconscious if you don't get out or tap early

It's not awkward unless you look each other in the eyes.

images.png

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you think BJJ or grappling looks like sex....might I suggest therapy? Or just get your mind out of the gutter.