BJJ testing- what's it like?

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I mean, I know it changes from instructor to instructor/school to school, but what kind of criteria do they look for to advance a student? Does the student necessarily have to *win* a match, or just show that they're able to use techniques appropriately (as opposed to letting opportunities pass them by)?

I'd be interested in hearing about any stories about your own advancements- particularly the earlier belts.

Thanks!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the requirements that Roy Harris uses for black. You will also find the requirements for the other belts as well.

One of the guys I train under is a Purple belt under Mr. Harris.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Back in the day and also still I imagine with most BJJ schools. You simply went to a seminar and generally your instructor would tell Royce, Rolker, Caique, etc. to watch you and at some point they would pair you up with someone a rank higher who they had observed as being good and if you were not submitted or you submitted them basically holding your own then you were promoted. This also could occur if you just went to a seminar and the seminar instructor "noticed you" and decided to promote you on the spot. (I had several of these) No formal test and sometimes guy's had to wait years and then some before being at the right place at the right time. I imagine things are changing but that is how it was and I am sure still is many places.
icon6.gif

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I mean, I know it changes from instructor to instructor/school to school, but what kind of criteria do they look for to advance a student? Does the student necessarily have to *win* a match, or just show that they're able to use techniques appropriately (as opposed to letting opportunities pass them by)?

I'd be interested in hearing about any stories about your own advancements- particularly the earlier belts.

Thanks!
Some schools have hard and fast lists of a certain number of sweeps, defenses, self-defense moves, etc. and some are a little looser in their promotions.

Generally, at the less structured schools, you have to show proficiency against other belts of similar rank and are tested against people of higher rank to see how you handle the challenge. Some schools also use your competition record as an factor in promotion.

It is quite common for promotion tests to be physically grueling so that the instructor can see how well you do when you are tired and have rolled match after match. Some people tend to get really sloppy and slip back into "instinct" rather than use technique when they are really tired.

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely no testing where I train. When Cassio thinks your ready for a certain belt, he give it to you. Typically he promotes twice a year, once in the summer and once in the winter, but occasionally you may get promoted after a big tournament win, etc.

TriangleMachine

White Belt
Reaction score

Thanks!

Here is an excellent video to give you some idea. It is footage of a Roy Harris Purple Belt test. The student is very technical and has some heart:

Last edited by a moderator:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an excellent video to give you some idea. It is footage of a Roy Harris Purple Belt test. The student is very technical and has some heart:

That was a fantastic clip!! Thanks for posting that!!!:ultracool

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In the bjj schools I have been to there is no testing. You are tested daily while sparring others, once you start hanging with higher ranks and submitting people the same rank you are typically just promoted. I was just told that I had to wear a blue belt from now on and leave my white belt at home. Hell I even had to get my own belt, he didn't have any to spare.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Speaking of purple. MATalk just promoted me to purple on my last post. If only BJJ were so easy!!

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Awesome links, BJJ really puts faith back into the ranks.
I've been doing it for about a month now, and holy cow I'm a newbie heh. But, I'm loving it, and starting to see the openings, how to go from here to there etc. Slow, painful, I need a 2nd and 3rd gas tank heh.

temagami

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm.. interesting thread. I don't technically study BJJ but rather JJJ (Japanese). In order for us to test for black we have to be a member of the CJA - Canadian Jiu-Jitsu Association. We have to meet the prescribed standards set out by the CJA and drive to a testing facility - for me it's about 2 hours away. We go before a panel of at least three masters and they run us through the rigors (about 3 hours); there is an interview process for you AND your Sensai - it ends with sparring and ground work. The last test had only 3 applicants; so it's a pretty big deal. The testers are independent from your school.

USP45CT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm.. interesting thread. I don't technically study BJJ but rather JJJ (Japanese). In order for us to test for black we have to be a member of the CJA - Canadian Jiu-Jitsu Association. We have to meet the prescribed standards set out by the CJA and drive to a testing facility - for me it's about 2 hours away. We go before a panel of at least three masters and they run us through the rigors (about 3 hours); there is an interview process for you AND your Sensai - it ends with sparring and ground work. The last test had only 3 applicants; so it's a pretty big deal. The testers are independent from your school.

Thats kind of interesting and I kind of like that approach.

PurpleParham84

White Belt
Reaction score
I have never been formally "tested" for any belt, nor have I ever seen it done that way at any school. What I mean is, knowing that you are being tested for promotion. All of my promotions, belts and stripes, have been somewhat of a surprise to me, excluding 1 stripe.

I was awarded my blue belt one night after a long training session where I trained with many senior belts and then was able to effectively use that on other students of my grade.

For purple, our class was playing a "game" where the class is lined up by size, not rank. The two smallest guys would fight 2 min, winner fights next in line. I was 2nd from biggest of about a dozen guys, and somehow fought my way up and down the line almost twice. After about a 5 min stalemate match with another purple belt, I was awarded my purple.

I think "testing" for a purple belt is not how it should be. Yes, there are concepts and techniques you should know or be aware of at each level, but being exposed to these techniques is hardly grounds for promotion. I think effective application in a real scenario, as well ability to defend against are equally as important.

Also the ability to teach it to another student in a simple and comprehensible manner, and the ability for them to understand and apply is really important the higher you get, especially if you plan to teach. As you become more advanced in your school, and the field of equal belts shrinks, lower belts will look up to you and ask you questions. You must be able to answer them.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions