BJJ Schools in SoCal

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've just learned I'll be stationed at Fort Irwin California after I finish BOLC II and Engineer officer school. That's a good thing as I like Southern California but it's rather distant from most BJJ schools I've heard of.

Now my solution is to train during the week in MACP (mostly BJJ based anyway) and train at a BJJ school in Chino Hills or the surrounding area (where my uncle lives and whom I'll visit during the weekends) on the weekends. Also if I visit San Diego (which I'm apt to do every other week) I might visit schools there too but San Diego's too far for longterm school enrollment.

Other than the Gracie affiliates does anyone know of other quality BJJ schools in SoCal?

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'll be alternating between San Diego and Chino Hills as weekend visiting areas. I wonder if that's a feasible thing for training using my MACP training during the week and doing other training at other schools in the two other cities mentioned.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Having been in the army, I can tell you that even experienced white belts can dominate most MACP trained personnel on the ground, so I highly encourage you to get that experience. MACP serves to encourage a warrior mentality and a few basic defensive capabilities should you end up in H2H. It is not intended to make a deadly warrior out of you, just give you the tools to get back to using your weapon.

Because you will be training once a week or so, the instructors will probably allow you to pay less. Best thing to do - go to the Academies and talk it over with the instructor!

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm aware of MACP has its limits but I know a lot of MACP types tend to crosstrain in BJJ because the system was largely based off of BJJ so I figure it's some sort of training I can do during the week before I head over to Chino or San Diego for my weekends.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm aware of MACP has its limits but I know a lot of MACP types tend to crosstrain in BJJ because the system was largely based off of BJJ so I figure it's some sort of training I can do during the week before I head over to Chino or San Diego for my weekends.

Yup and like I implied, once you get some regular training under your belt, and start rolling regularly, you'll probably end up being asked to get your MACP certs and teaching at the unit level. Heck a BJJ blue belt will have more grappling knowledge than just about anything MACP has. So it will take your MACP to a whole new level, and MACP will give you the ability to roll daily and keep up with your training.

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not to mention I also intend to cross train in Krav Maga for my practical self defense training as well.

Once I've gotten some rolling under my belt I intend to take part in some sort of grappling tournament (either Army sponsored or civilian). I wonder should I wait till I've gained past the skill level of a white belt to attempt to do so since my training is not as consistent as I'd like (training in MACP during the week and in BJJ once a week at the academies mentioned)?

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
No, compete as a white belt. Tournaments are a wonderful place to learn. If you combine your Krav Maga with your BJJ, you will have far more than anything MACP could offer you. I like it as a combo and I think it will serve you well.

Best of luck to you!

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just thought of something, you said you will be moving back and forth between San diego and Chino hills? Well you can't beat Gracie schools for convenience. If you sign up with one, you automatically get to train at any Gracie school, anywhere. Just a thought.

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
girlbug2: Good thought. I never imagined that. I definitely will use it. I assume the Gracie Barra schools function in a similar fashion?

Xinglu: Thanks for the offer man. I definitely will look into tournaments as a whitebelt after I've had a few rolling sessions under my belt.

Now all I have to do is look for Krav Maga training seminars around Southern California.

Latest Discussions