BJJ purple belt running school?

Discussion in 'Jujutsu / Judo' started by Flatfish, Feb 22, 2017.

1. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

There is of course competition between schools. formal and informal. And your rank in BJJ is your rank everywhere. If you go from a gracie to a machado school. you dont get a white belt.

2. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Yeah, that's what I said.
    A similar approach tends to happen within NGA. If I went back to the NGAA, I'd probably have to retest my last rank (since my instructor left the Association). Same if I went to one of the other associations.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Other than my main Bjj instructor, I've learned more from purple belts than from anyone else.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Raymond

Raymond Orange Belt

I can't add much more than folks like Tony have but I'll try to contribute something. I'm a BJJ blue belt, and that took me about 4 years. Our school is run by a black belt and the assistant instructor is a purple. Sometimes I like when our purple runs class as I think he's in between me and the black belt on the journey, so he may they may be more relatable, and can help you with certain details. It's hard to put in words, but sometimes a black belt is soooooo good and has been at it sooooo long they might start having a harder time remembering what it was like at a lower rank. That probably doesn't make sense though.

But anyway, a BJJ purple belt is someone who is a very legit and capable grappler overall, and but still with enough room to grow that lots of under belts can learn from them. I wouldn't hesitate to join an academy run by a purple.

5. Vince Millett

Vince Millett White Belt

I've heard it said that a good purple belt will often know as much technique-wise as a black belt. So, they can teach, no problem. Where they differ is they don't yet have that uncanny black belt ability to be six moves ahead of you at all times. I am a blue belt. I will occasionally catch a purple belt with something or successfully shut down some evil they are trying to inflict upon me but that does not happen with black belts.

6. Flatfish

Flatfish Black Belt

It's been a while since I put up the OP. I was then looking at different schools. I ended up not joining this one in question because their kid's schedule and mine didn't match up.

7. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    What, you expect us to just let the topic go because it's no longer relevant? **** that! :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Flatfish

Flatfish Black Belt

yeah, I should have known better.....

• Agree Agree x 1