BJJ in the street ?

L

legend29

First off I have no desire to fight in the ring at all, but love to train for self defense purposes. Now I currently take OJKD and feel it is a more than capable art in the streets as far as stand up fighting goes, and some grappling. Now I don't want to go to the ground but if I have no other choice, I figure I better be confident there. So my question is, is BJJ effective in the street ? You have no Gi's or anything ( I know you'll have regular clothes ) to grab a hold of but are all the moves appliable in the street ?

Also does BJJ have any stand up fighting at all, or is everything geared to taking your opponent down on the ground, or are the stand up techniques strictly for getting them on the ground ?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
legend29 said:
First off I have no desire to fight in the ring at all, but love to train for self defense purposes. Now I currently take OJKD and feel it is a more than capable art in the streets as far as stand up fighting goes, and some grappling. Now I don't want to go to the ground but if I have no other choice, I figure I better be confident there. So my question is, is BJJ effective in the street ? You have no Gi's or anything ( I know you'll have regular clothes ) to grab a hold of but are all the moves appliable in the street ?

Also does BJJ have any stand up fighting at all, or is everything geared to taking your opponent down on the ground, or are the stand up techniques strictly for getting them on the ground ?

The first thing that you're going to hear from just about everybody, is no, it probably wont work. I have to disagree with that. Sure, against mult. attackers, rolling is the worst thing you could do, but if you dont have the skills to help you to get back to your feet, what good is that stand up art that you're taking? The next thing you'll hear is, what about the nails, broken glass, etc. Ok, sure, that is something to worry about. But to think that you'll walk away from anything without a cut, bump or scratch, is crazy. I'd rather get cut by a little piece of glass and live to tell about it, than get stomped because I didnt have any experience on the ground.

Ok, now to answer your questions. Many of the techs. that use a Gi, can be applied to a jacket, tshirt, etc. You may have to make a small adjustment, but they still work.

As for the stand up techs. Yes, there are stand up techs in BJJ. While they may not be the best, they do have SD techs in the system. But then again, it does not have to be something fancy to work right! Many of the BJJ guys have added more punching and kicking to the system to make them more well rounded. The funny thing here is that they seem to realize the need for punching and kicking, therefore they add it. Why is it sooo hard for the stand up guys to add a little BJJ to their material???

Mike

OP
L

legend29

I feel you have to have both, stand up and ground fighting in your skills. In a real fight I don't want to go to the ground at all, but if I'm taking there by someone some how, then I want to be more than capable to end the fight there.

People say if you get in a fight most of the time you end up on the ground, my reply to this use to always be, " Not if you're good you don't " boy was I wrong. Even if you're the best stand up guy in the world, things can happen. You could be tackled from behind or trip or anything. This is why I want to be able to go both ways. Plus in a stand up fight, the person always has the option of running( which is a good thing, because I don't like fighting any way ) but if you're taking to the ground somehow, there at your mercy.

Richie

P.S. What about, what can I expect in about six months of trial in BJJ, before i decide to go all the way.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
legend29 said:
I feel you have to have both, stand up and ground fighting in your skills. In a real fight I don't want to go to the ground at all, but if I'm taking there by someone some how, then I want to be more than capable to end the fight there.

I agree 100%! Being well rounded in all ranges is, IMO, the best way to go!

People say if you get in a fight most of the time you end up on the ground, my reply to this use to always be, " Not if you're good you don't " boy was I wrong. Even if you're the best stand up guy in the world, things can happen. You could be tackled from behind or trip or anything. This is why I want to be able to go both ways. Plus in a stand up fight, the person always has the option of running( which is a good thing, because I don't like fighting any way ) but if you're taking to the ground somehow, there at your mercy.

You're right on that too. I hear the same thing all the time. My response is, "How can you predict what will happen during the fight?" You cant!!!

P.S. What about, what can I expect in about six months of trial in BJJ, before i decide to go all the way.

What can you expect? Every school is different, but I can tell you what I learned. I started off with some of the basic positions....the mount, side mount, guard, etc. Getting familiar with those FIRST is by far the most important thing. You can learn 100 submissions, but if you cant hold the position and apply the tech. what good is it???

Being able to transition from one position to the next is also important. After I got a good feeling with that, I then moved on to the submissions, chokes, etc.

Again, I cant speak for every BJJ school, so the above is only from my personal experience. I hope that it was a help. Feel free to keep the questions coming!!!!

Mike

OP
L

legend29

Well, I had my first practice last night. I enjoyed it, but I do have some questions before I decide to join. We started the class off learning a type of sweep, we worked that for awhile and then we rolled for the rest of the class. Now granted I'm not a member of the class yet, because it was just a trial class, so my question is this.

1) Is this how most classes are structured ? For example, since I had never had no prior training in any type of grappling I thought I'd be shown a few basic things first, but instead I just done as they did. Now maybe it was because i haven't officially joined yet, or because no one new I was a complete beginner.

2) Should i wait and see if there is a set curriculam, or should i approach the instructor and ask to learn some basics ?

I drive an hour to this class, and i desperately want to learn if it is going to help me in a real situation. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
legend29 said:
Well, I had my first practice last night. I enjoyed it, but I do have some questions before I decide to join. We started the class off learning a type of sweep, we worked that for awhile and then we rolled for the rest of the class. Now granted I'm not a member of the class yet, because it was just a trial class, so my question is this.

1) Is this how most classes are structured ? For example, since I had never had no prior training in any type of grappling I thought I'd be shown a few basic things first, but instead I just done as they did. Now maybe it was because i haven't officially joined yet, or because no one new I was a complete beginner.

Is this how most classes are structured?? Again, I cant say, because I cant speak for other BJJ schools. Its apparent to me, that they pretty much just threw you in the class and let you fend for yourself, which IMO, is not the right thing to do. The Inst. or a senior student should have worked 1 on 1 with you first. Learning a sweep on your first day is too advanced for a beginner, especially if you've never trained in BJJ before.

Let me ask you this. How did you feel after that class? Did you feel like you learned anything or did you feel lost?

2) Should i wait and see if there is a set curriculam, or should i approach the instructor and ask to learn some basics ?

Ask the Inst. about the curriculum being taught. He should have some sort of a guideline to follow as far as ranking would go. Inquire about the classes and where you're gonna fit in. If you're a beginner, you should be learning beginner techs. not sweeps.

Basically, in a nut shell, compare it to building a house. Do you start putting the walls up before the foundation? Of course not. You lay the foundation and start building from there.

I drive an hour to this class, and i desperately want to learn if it is going to help me in a real situation. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

BJJ is very effective. Just like everything else, it has its time and place. There is so much more to it than rolling on the ground. Its unfortuante, cuz alot of people think that is all there is to it....rolling. In reality, there is your standing grappling or clinch work that is also a very important aspect.

I hope that this was a help. Again, keep the questions coming. Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like also. I'll do my best to answer all your questions.

Mike

OP
F

FunSPE

Hi there. First let me say that BJJ is a very good self defense system for a variety of reasons. One of the few times that I have ever had to use what I know; I had to rely upon my BJJ training and everything worked out ok. In my opinion, being well rounded is an essential part of self defense. As far as your questions...

Honestly it depends on the school. Some schools offer beginner classes, some don't. Some BJJ schools let you just jump right on in, others might take newbies aside and teach them some basics like Mount Escape and maybe a submission or two. Typically, we dont let brand new students roll for their first class or two. Me personally, I like showing basic techniques when we have new people that way we dont overwhelm them with advanced moves.

Unlike most martial arts, there really isnt a "set" curriculum for rank requirements in BJJ. Now, with that said, there are a core group of techniques that everyone should know once you start to approach blue belt. Also, some instructors do have certain teqchniques that they would like to see as you progress. I guess this is what you are asking for. Go ahead and speak to the instructor and let him or her know that you really want to work on learning your basics.

Like anything, BJJ does take time to learn especially if you dont come from a grappling background. But believe me, after 6 years of training in it, it has been beyond worth it.

RDS

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
legend29 said:

Dude, I'd been in MA for my entire life, and my training included JKD modified kickboxing. A friend of mine took the Gracie Challenge when they were first opened in Torrance, and lost horribly. We both joined, and it (BJJ) is literally -- imho -- the missing link in the martial arts. I had to drive 1-2 hours in traffic to get from south OC to Torrance till some of Ricksons students opened a club down near me, and would do it all over again.

Starting BJJ ios always a little wierd...it isn;t structured the way other forms of MA are, with forms or such you learn for testing out of or into a a rank. It's skill-based, and you have to start somewhere. Each class will introduce you to something new (a position, submission, transition, etc.), and subsequent classes should teach counters, then counters to the counters, and so on, expanding your vocabulary of moves. The rolling after being taught a couple moves is mostly normal; it's skill based. If you're with some good (read: Nice) guys, classmates who know you're new will put you in position to do the sweep, then make you work progressively harder to pull it off while giving you tips on how to clean it up. Can't learn to swim if you don't jump in the water.

As for self-defense potential? BJJ has saved my butt many times. If people tell me they just want to learn how to defend themselves without putting a lot of time into MA, I tell them to go to a boxing gym for a year, then a BJJ school for a year.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
CrushingFist said:
How can BJJ actually work in a street-fight?
That's probably where it is used most often. The verb, to "Gracie" someone = pull them to the ground, sit on their chest and punch them in the head till they get sick of struggling fruitlessly, and turn to their stomachs...at which point you rear-naked choke 'em with hooks in.

Better question might be: How can it NOT work in a street fight?

D.

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh Yea?

Somebody comes from behin and fu*ks the **** out of you thinking you were hurting that person? If you were standing you can most likely notice somebody else or something. Or Run

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
CrushingFist said:
Oh Yea?

Somebody comes from behin and fu*ks the **** out of you thinking you were hurting that person? If you were standing you can most likely notice somebody else or something. Or Run
Spoken like a true gentleman with a mind towards learning and development. If you're only posting to hear yourself speak and pick a spat, chances are you're likely to find yourself in the very situation you've just described.

D.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
CrushingFist said:
Oh Yea?

What are you talking about here??? IMO, I think that you need to get a little more education on BJJ.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
CrushingFist said:
How can BJJ actually work in a street-fight?

It will teach you the skills to survive on the ground if you find yourself there.

It will teach you how to get back to your feet in a safe way.

Many of the locks and chokes can be applied standing.

It will teach you about the clinch, which is one of the ranges of fighting.

It teaches you SD techs. against attacks such as a wrist grab, shirt grab, etc.

It allows you to submit the person, without having to always rely on a kick to the groin, eye jab, etc....strikes that are not always warranted for a situation.

Did that answer your question???

Mike

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
It will teach you the skills to survive on the ground if you find yourself there.

It will teach you how to get back to your feet in a safe way.

Many of the locks and chokes can be applied standing.

It will teach you about the clinch, which is one of the ranges of fighting.

It teaches you SD techs. against attacks such as a wrist grab, shirt grab, etc.

It allows you to submit the person, without having to always rely on a kick to the groin, eye jab, etc....strikes that are not always warranted for a situation.

Did that answer your question???

Mike

Yes Thanks

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
CrushingFist said:
So what else BJJ practitioners should be concern while encounting a problem in the streets?

Mult. attackers for one. However, you'll hear everybody say that against more than 1 person, BJJ is useless.. Not true. On the ground yes, but if they can grab 1 attacker, use him as a shield, while at the same time, pounding the guy they have, they'll stand a much better chance. They do have defenses against weapons, although they are not the greatest.

Mike

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Mult. attackers for one. However, you'll hear everybody say that against more than 1 person, BJJ is useless.. Not true. On the ground yes, but if they can grab 1 attacker, use him as a shield, while at the same time, pounding the guy they have, they'll stand a much better chance. They do have defenses against weapons, although they are not the greatest.

Mike

How about 1 kick to the face to 1, and the other some combo's if BJJ could teach some of those useful striking.

gusano

Orange Belt
Reaction score
BJJ is the best martial art in the world for street defense. Taking the fight to the ground does not mean being the guy on the bottom or on your back. The BJJ practitioner can finish the fight from multiple positions. As for multiple attackers, I say that WHOEVER you are, WHATEVER your style, if you have multiple attackers you do not want to go to the ground BUT how can the strikers who are not even able to defend takedowns against a SINGLE man expect to remain standing against multiple opponents. This is not the movies. Against multiple attacker you are better off trying to escape or you will more than likely get stomped reagrdless of your syle of martial art. The Garcie challenge still exists to this day. Anyone in the world is welcome to test their skill against BJJ, just by showing up at the academy in Rio. They will give you someone to fight.

Latest Discussions