BJJ brown belt in 1 year

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doing the math on hours spent training and how much to get promoted just like that is a mistake. Training a lot is good, yes. If you dedicate a year to intense training you will no doubt make huge improvements. However it is imortant to keep focused on where you are and what you need to work on at the moment. The time off the mat counts for something too, don`t leave your brain at the door. The sleep you get every night is invaluable too.

(edit) why am I responding to a two and a half year old post made by a closed account?

BamBamx8

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Typically, BJJ ranks go white, blue, purple, brown, and black. Because the progression between ranks is so slow (white to blue is typically 1-3 years), many schools use stripes on the belts to get a better idea of skill.
Where I go you get 4 stripes on your white belt before you get to blue.My guess is you probably got to train the whole year to reach blue belt.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
is it possible to get a brown belt in one year because i was thinkin of going to brazil for a year and train 6 days a week 4 hours a day i got family there so i will be welcolmed. since it takes 2-3 lessons a week for 8 years to get a black belt i worked it out to about 4 hours a day 6 a days a week for a year to get close to black belt experience tell me what u guys think including info about what place is the best to train 4 hours a day in brazil. it work out to be something likle 1100 hours of BJJ in a year excluding competion
No. Can't think of a gym that would promote you past blue given the time frame.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Any legitimate school it should be a no but these days some places you never knowknow

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Where I go you get 4 stripes on your white belt before you get to blue.My guess is you probably got to train the whole year to reach blue belt.

My impression is that most places track the number of class hours to get an idea of who might be ready to test. Stripes are different than belts in that regard, with some places just giving stripes do to time on the mat. I can't imagine a legitimate training group getting someone to Brown Belt in a year regardless of the amount of time spent on the mat. Kids in the Gracie family, who pretty much grew up on the mats, didn't make Brown Belt that fast. People who come to Jiu-Jitsu with significant grappling experience from Judo, Sambo, or Wrestling don't earn belts that fast either.

Besides, training for 4 hours a day every day of the week for a year is likely to result in some injuries at some point that are going to curtail one's mat time.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You guys are replying to a 6 year old thread lol. Interesting discussion regardless. A person who already has a solid wrestling or judo background who then trains a few hours a day in BJJ I could see getting their purple belt in a year. Brown belt? No way. Brown belt isn't just knowing techniques (blue) and or being able to fight from each position (purple). It's when you've learned to chain attacks and bait moves in each position.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably not unless you are anything other than an absolute prodigy.
icon14.gif

Truthfully back in the day you could train that much and make blue belt in 2 years. Now a day's though with mail order bjj starting and weekend workshops so you can teach bjj in a school anything is possible.
icon9.gif

Still if you go to Brazil and train like that you should get good! Do not worry about the belt.
icon6.gif
I heard that.... training 6 days a week 3, 4 hurs a day...

You should totally sandbag when you get back, too. Keep your white belt the entire time.

Then come back to some place that has an instructor who DID get his creds by ordering them by mail order and subvert his school. Nice!

(I AM kidding, y'all. But, I had a buddy who was a brown belt in judo for 20 years who was like that. A total terror on the mat, just didn't want to go through the formal bs of the shodan demo, didn't care at all.)

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You guys are replying to a 6 year old thread lol. Interesting discussion regardless. A person who already has a solid wrestling or judo background who then trains a few hours a day in BJJ I could see getting their purple belt in a year. Brown belt? No way. Brown belt isn't just knowing techniques (blue) and or being able to fight from each position (purple). It's when you've learned to chain attacks and bait moves in each position.
Hey why not some of us weren't here 6 years ago when it started there's always room for new knowledge to be shared

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
In all honesty you'd probably burn out before you reach any level of technical proficiency.
6 days a week, every week, for 4 hours, is alot of training.
Too much.
It would take extreme dedication to train for 5 days a week for 2 hours a day.
Either way, I don't see what the rush is to get a belt. In order to get good you have to stay true to the process and enjoy it.
BJJ is an art that takes time to learn, and can be an extremely good time.

I would agree about 6 days a week every week for four hours of a time leading to burn out. You would no doubt be getting diminishing returns if you brought it up to that level and I speak from my own experience. There were times when I spent a similar amount of time training and it was too much. You could get much more out of high quality training for shorter time periods.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would agree about 6 days a week every week for four hours of a time leading to burn out. You would no doubt be getting diminishing returns if you brought it up to that level and I speak from my own experience. There were times when I spent a similar amount of time training and it was too much. You could get much more out of high quality training for shorter time periods.
For most people you are correct, but there are some people out there (BJ Penn and the Miyao brothers come immediately to mind) who train or did train even more than that for long periods of time, essentially living in the gym. For most of us, that sort of training regimen would eventually lead to physical and/or mental burnout - especially if we also have to work for a living.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it too much? Maybe. Probably, even. But...
Is that all you're doing? If you're not doing things like working, going to school, visiting the tourist sights in a new country, then maybe not.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is that all you're doing? If you're not doing things like working, going to school, visiting the tourist sights in a new country, then maybe not.

Depends on the job a bit too. But say you work 9 to 5 at something not too taxing. Get up at 5 am train 6 to 8, work. Finish at 5 train 6 to 8 be in bed by 9 that is still 8 hours sleep.

Sat sun off from work.

Train sat morning then pretty much have two days to yourself to sight see or whatever.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on the job a bit too. But say you work 9 to 5 at something not too taxing. Get up at 5 am train 6 to 8, work. Finish at 5 train 6 to 8 be in bed by 9 that is still 8 hours sleep.

Sat sun off from work.

Train sat morning then pretty much have two days to yourself to sight see or whatever.

Sure. So add "social life" to the list of things you'll not be having. :)

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
For most people you are correct, but there are some people out there (BJ Penn and the Miyao brothers come immediately to mind) who train or did train even more than that for long periods of time, essentially living in the gym. For most of us, that sort of training regimen would eventually lead to physical and/or mental burnout - especially if we also have to work for a living.

We've all got our limits and even if you do have the endurance to train for the long periods of time as described in this thread it doesn't necessarily mean you will get better results. When I think of somebody who really took it to the extreme in terms of long, hard training in the martial arts I think of Bruce Lee. He would be doing drills on his training dummy while his friends would go out for pizza. His friends would come back and he would say he was almost done with the drill he was doing and then he would switch to his other hand. So if anybody trained as their full time job and did lots of overtime it would be Bruce Lee. And yet, as exceptional as Bruce Lee was I've seen martial artists with better technique than him who did not train as long as him and Bruce Lee did suffer injuries, he hurt is back while filming Game Of Death and he did get the ultimate burnout, dying at the age of 32.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Sat sun off from work.

images

I am the same by the way. I do other things than martial arts. But then I am not a top performing martial artist

Yep. I've occasionally done a 20+ hours training week. That was enough to convince me that it's not for me on a consistent basis, at least not while I have to work for a living. Even if I managed to avoid injury I would start losing all my joy in training after a while. 10-12 hours per week seems to be what I can manage on a consistent basis. This is one of the main reasons why, despite being an above average martial artist, I will never be a truly world-class martial artist.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep. I've occasionally done a 20+ hours training week. That was enough to convince me that it's not for me on a consistent basis, at least not while I have to work for a living. Even if I managed to avoid injury I would start losing all my joy in training after a while. 10-12 hours per week seems to be what I can manage on a consistent basis. This is one of the main reasons why, despite being an above average martial artist, I will never be a truly world-class martial artist.

We have a guy who comes and does seminars. And we try to take him out and do fun stuff. But his idea of fun stuff is martial arts. That is just what he would prefer doing. A self proffesed martial arts nerd.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We have a guy who comes and does seminars. And we try to take him out and do fun stuff. But his idea of fun stuff is martial arts. That is just what he would prefer doing. A self proffesed martial arts nerd.
I'm definitely a martial arts nerd myself. I train 10-12 hours per week on average (a bit more when I'm rested and inspired) and probably spend another 10-12 hours per week reading about, talking about, thinking about, or watching martial arts. But after that point my brain starts needing some time off to recharge.

I'm curious about whether this is my actual upper limit or if I could happily spend a bunch more time on it if I didn't have to work for a living. Maybe when I retire I'll just end up spending all day in the dojo.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It probably also depends how intense those hours are. One could get into some technical rolling - keeping it soft, supple, and responsive - for a couple of hours a day and wouldn't have much risk of getting new injuries.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sat sun off from work.

Not much fun, but doable if you're young and reasonably in shape. The first few weeks would have to be lighter, I'd think, to allow the body to get accustomed to the new movements.

Latest Discussions