bjj beginner question

bradtash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hey all,

i am currently learning muay thai. i have been doing it for 8 months now and am considering adding bjj to it. i am a rather large fella, around 115kgs and a not overly fit.
i just have a quick question, should i spend the next 2 months getting fitter then begin learning bjj or am i best off just jumping straight into it?
my friend who does bjj said to get fit first as it wrecks you way more then muay thai, but i thought i would see others opinions as i dont want to waste time getting ready for something when i could/should be doing it.
also what about flexibility? i am not overly flexible, should a practice on this or is this not really a huge part of training.
thanks all.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey all,

i am currently learning muay thai. i have been doing it for 8 months now and am considering adding bjj to it. i am a rather large fella, around 115kgs and a not overly fit.
i just have a quick question, should i spend the next 2 months getting fitter then begin learning bjj or am i best off just jumping straight into it?
my friend who does bjj said to get fit first as it wrecks you way more then muay thai, but i thought i would see others opinions as i dont want to waste time getting ready for something when i could/should be doing it.
also what about flexibility? i am not overly flexible, should a practice on this or is this not really a huge part of training.
thanks all.

It wouldn't hurt to start putting more focus on cardio, however, many times it comes down to actually doing the activity rather than something else. In other words, if you started to run, in order to get in shape, that will help, but if you want to get in shape by doing BJJ, then that is what you need to do. You'll notice that you will be using different muscles, etc., when you start rolling. I'm not saying running wont help, but rolling is very different than running.

As for the flexibility issue, again, it wont hurt if you started working on that before you start BJJ. You will probably want to check with the inst. for specific exercises that will aid you while rolling.

Most importantly, take your time. Good luck in your training. :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your doing Muay Thai you probably are starting to get fit. Running, weight lifting, etc. will all help but truthfully as MJS alluded you really won't be grappling fit until you grapple. I cannot count how many times some one fit came into my school only to be gassed one or two minutes into grappling.

romaj

White Belt
Reaction score
I just joined. I figured that just doing it will get me in shape to grapple. I'm not 100% sure, but I think there is a difference between running endurance and grappling endurance. So I say go for it.

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just started training also and I am out of shape but trying to get back into shape. I just jumped right into it. I'm struggling a bit with the killer warm-ups but I'm getting there even though it's only been a couple of weeks. So far, I'd rather roll than run. At least I'm learning some technique while getting in shape. I say just jump right in...you wont be the only one!

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I totally agree that it's best to get out there. But at the same time, a word of caution. Listen to your body. Push yourself, by all means, but I've seen a lot of dudes come in, go balls out for a month or so, and then disappear. I believe it's because they went so hard that they either injured themselves or just didn't give their bodies a chance to acclimate to the pace of training.

Also, just to provide a little hope, it gets easier. Once you begin relaxing when you roll and using your legs and body instead of just your arms, you'll burn less energy. It's still a great workout, but you won't gas quite so fast. :)

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
I totally agree that it's best to get out there. But at the same time, a word of caution. Listen to your body. Push yourself, by all means, but I've seen a lot of dudes come in, go balls out for a month or so, and then disappear. I believe it's because they went so hard that they either injured themselves or just didn't give their bodies a chance to acclimate to the pace of training.

Also, just to provide a little hope, it gets easier. Once you begin relaxing when you roll and using your legs and body instead of just your arms, you'll burn less energy. It's still a great workout, but you won't gas quite so fast. :)

Again, being a relative newbie, I totally agree to the above statements. I went balls out for 2-3 days a week. I was so new that I didn't know to relax. I got sore and injured my shoulder. Fast forward 5 months...now after three weeks of slowly getting back into it, I am starting with 1 session per week then increase to two sessions per week but most importantly, I relax more when I roll and I'm not chasing every limb that becomes available. I've learned that my rolling partner usually exerts as much energy as I do especially when I roll with the more experienced guys. Be careful though because when you submit your first opponent, you'll be hooked!!! I now roll with my coworkers once a week at our local Gracie BJJ academy then a couple of days later, we have a light session on our mats at work just to review what we've learned. So far, it's been great. The best part is that my employer pays for it and it's on company time!!!!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
3 times per week is actually about right. I've heard it said (and found to be true) that x2/week and you'll maintain, and at x3/week you'll actually see improvement.

The keys are, if your body is telling you to sit one out, do it. Don't nut up and roll to the point that you're puking in the parking lot... at least, not every class. :) If you're injured, tell your partner where and how bad. I'm coming back from a back injury and am rolling at about 75% right now.

You make a very good point about upper belts. Typically, with new guys, they only go as hard as you go. So, if you roll 100% and attack like you're in a street fight, you will find that things are going too fast for you to learn anything and you'll likely end up in a submission without a clue of how you got there. Also, and I know it's not just me, when a new white belt knees me in the nuts or drops an elbow on my face, I get irritated and tend to stop being quite so friendly.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with Steve on this one. No one likes a spaz when rolling. As a beginner you are going to tire out REALLY quickly no matter how good of shape you are in because you don't know how to relax on the ground and move efficiently.

An instructor is going to be able to help you push yourself to improve and not have the same expectations of conditioning as a higher rank or someone that has been training for awhile. Take your time and condition yourself gradually.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
For sure, a few of my teachers have put it like road signs on a freeway. If you're going 200 mph, you won't see or be able to take any of them, but if you slow down to a decent speed, you'll have the options and not lose control.

Dagney Taggert

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have been practicing BJJ for 5 years. When I started, I was SORE for about three months. This soreness eventually faded away and now I can roll 4 times per week. I have also integrated kettel bells, club bells, and running into my training.

Epsom salt is your friend and will help your muscles heal faster.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm also new to BJJ, its a big reason I wasn't apart of this board for so long that & just daily life.

I'm looking for any tips related to BJJ to help me out with rolling, & technique. The technique in our class varies because of the instructor. I always ask which goes better. I want to make sure my technique is the best it can be.

I have just started rolling. I get sore, & bruised up but I wouldn't trade the bruises for anything because I learn so much in a night, & rolling.

I was told it'd take me probably 8 months or 9 mnths to get it down, but there is no substitute because the more you do it the better you get.

Also I'm going to get weights, & kettlebells as well since I'm big on weight & cardio training. I was getting use to the work out, & missed a couple of classes because my neck was sunburned so I'm back to getting used to it again.

Other than the hard work & dedication to it, any advice to help me with it is appreciated. It's my 3rd month. Our classes are small since they first started. I love it. It can be rough but I wouldn't change any aspect of it.

I've got a year before I get my blue belt. So definitely an exciting journey on the way.

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score

+1

I had stopped training at the gym and stopped running for a few months when I started BJJ. I tell ya, 3-4 nights a week of rolling on the mat for 45 minutes and you will get fit quick. Theres no substitute for mat fitness man, just go for it. The only conditioning some people need is mental, and if you doing Muay Thai id say you already have that just fine

Some (most?) schools dont roll/spar as much as we do though, in which case you wont get as fit, though at the same time you wont need to be as fit as you wont have to roll for an hour straight etc (and comps are only 3-5 mins)

Latest Discussions