Bj penn UFC 232 (spoilers obviously)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
so BJ penn lost yet again and lost for the first time by submission and by a heel hook.

It's funny how the UFC trashes chuck vs Tito but continues to let BJ fight who's last win was against matt Hughes in 2010 and is now 16-13 and lost 6 fights in a row with 1 draw to Fitch.

BJ should've stayed retired. He's obviously way past his best. Mma has past him by. He was beaten by his specialty which is Bjj. Not taking it away from hall. It was a great submission and a great set up for it but BJ has to stop now. Sure he's not taking as much damage as someone like chuck but still it's hard to think of anyone BJ can beat at this point

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay not the fight the thread was about but on the same card. Ouch now that sucks..

image.jpeg

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
While BJJ is his speciality, the sport and martial art has evolved a ton since he earned his black belt. For example, Bj was steeped in BJJ back when leglocks were considered bad form. However, modern BJJ utilizes leg locks extensively. Hell, I don't even think the 50/50 guard (that Hall created and uses) was even around when Bj got his black belt.

That said, impressive set-up by Hall, and another win for BJJ in MMA. Imanari rolls are always a treat to see in MMA, and the roll transitioning into 50/50 was a thing of beauty. Dana needs to feed Hall some competition, because the boy deserves a shot at the title.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That said, impressive set-up by Hall, and another win for BJJ in MMA.
Seriously? That could quite possibly be the stupidest post of the year. If not, definitely the grandmaster of the obvious award. I call my wife a grandmaster of the obvious (master of the obvious isn’t strong enough of a term for her level), and even she’d skip this comment if she knew anything about the subject.

Curiosity question, if I may: when 2 BJJ guys are in the cage, how do you consider “...another win for BJJ in MMA” relevant in any way, shape or form? Was there any other possible outcome?* I mean come on; are you that hung up on BJJ that you have to pint out every single BJJ win, even when it’s against another BJJer? Seriously?

How’s this one:
“Penn got beat. Another BJJ loss in MMA. More proof it’s not the great art everyone says it is.”

You’d face-palm as hard about my stupidity as I’m am about yours right now. Seriously.

*I guess a double DQ or some other freak thing could’ve occurred ;)

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
so BJ penn lost yet again and lost for the first time by submission and by a heel hook.

It's funny how the UFC trashes chuck vs Tito but continues to let BJ fight who's last win was against matt Hughes in 2010 and is now 16-13 and lost 6 fights in a row with 1 draw to Fitch.

BJ should've stayed retired. He's obviously way past his best. Mma has past him by. He was beaten by his specialty which is Bjj. Not taking it away from hall. It was a great submission and a great set up for it but BJ has to stop now. Sure he's not taking as much damage as someone like chuck but still it's hard to think of anyone BJ can beat at this point
It’s just sad when fighters* don’t know when it’s time to go and let the next generation take over.

*It’s sad in all sports, although somehow fighters - boxers, MMAers, etc. - are just more sad than the other sports to me. Maybe because I feel they’re going to get seriously hurt or killed easier than the others? It ain’t exactly a tennis match.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seriously? That could quite possibly be the stupidest post of the year. If not, definitely the grandmaster of the obvious award. I call my wife a grandmaster of the obvious (master of the obvious isn’t strong enough of a term for her level), and even she’d skip this comment if she knew anything about the subject.

Curiosity question, if I may: when 2 BJJ guys are in the cage, how do you consider “...another win for BJJ in MMA” relevant in any way, shape or form? Was there any other possible outcome?* I mean come on; are you that hung up on BJJ that you have to pint out every single BJJ win, even when it’s against another BJJer? Seriously?

How’s this one:
“Penn got beat. Another BJJ loss in MMA. More proof it’s not the great art everyone says it is.”

You’d face-palm as hard about my stupidity as I’m am about yours right now. Seriously.

Did I trigger you?

In recent years BJJ has been heavily criticized in the MMA world as being washed up or no longer useful in the modern form of MMA. There has been a recent resurgence from former sport BJJ champions (Hall, Tonnen, Dern, a couple of Gracies, and soon Gordan Ryan) that have extremely good records, and are bringing the art back to the forefront of MMA.

While Bj Penn definitely has BJJ pedigree and is one of the greats, he has been on nearly a decade long losing streak and is frankly on the way out. Hall on the other hand is on the upswing and represents the new wave of young MMA fighters coming from sport BJJ.

I hope that helps.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did I trigger you?

In recent years BJJ has been heavily criticized in the MMA world as being washed up or no longer useful in the modern form of MMA. There has been a recent resurgence from former sport BJJ champions (Hall, Tonnen, Dern, a couple of Gracies, and soon Gordan Ryan) that have extremely good records, and are bringing the art back to the forefront of MMA.

While Bj Penn definitely has BJJ pedigree and is one of the greats, he has been on nearly a decade long losing streak and is frankly on the way out. Hall on the other hand is on the upswing and represents the new wave of young MMA fighters coming from sport BJJ.

I hope that helps.
Trigger me? Please. I was laughing the entire time. Your line was so stupid, as is this dense of it.

Another win for BJJ in MMA? How do you not see the stupidity of that, considering it was BJJ vs BJJ? That’s my point, and that’s what’s keeping me laughing. Who was supposed to win that fight? The Muay Thai guy who was watching in the stands? Maybe the Kyokushin guy who ordered in on PPV? Or maybe the karate guy who didn’t watch it (me).

How utterly asinine and comical would I sound if I said “another karate MMA win” if it was 2 karate guys fighting? You’d be pissing your pants laughing too. And DESERVINGLY calling me a moron.

Would I be stupid for saying “another boxing win in prize fighting” when Mike Tyson knocked out Michael Spinks?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Trigger me? Please. I was laughing the entire time. Your line was so stupid, as is this dense of it.

Are you sure? It appears that that one little comment sent you off the deep end and into a nonsensical rant.

Another win for BJJ in MMA? How do you not see the stupidity of that, considering it was BJJ vs BJJ? That’s my point, and that’s what’s keeping me laughing. Who was supposed to win that fight? The Muay Thai guy who was watching in the stands? Maybe the Kyokushin guy who ordered in on PPV? Or maybe the karate guy who didn’t watch it (me).

Already explained in my earlier posts. Please refer back to those posts since you seem utterly confused.

How utterly asinine and comical would I sound if I said “another karate MMA win” if it was 2 karate guys fighting? You’d be pissing your pants laughing too. And DESERVINGLY calling me a moron.

The only thing utterly asinine and comical is you trying to make an argument that doesn't exist. A prime example is your quote below:

Would I be stupid for saying “another boxing win in prize fighting” when Mike Tyson knocked out Michael Spinks?

Last edited:
OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did I trigger you?

I hope that helps.
Yeah next generation looks great here doesn't it (sarcasm)

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

How’s this one:

Yep this whole style v style in Mma is stupid....BJ has lost 6 fights in a row now with one draw. He drew with Fitch so Bjj couldn't win against wrestling. He lost to Diaz in basically a boxing match so Bjj lost against boxing, he lost to Frankie Edgar so Bjj lost to wrestling, he lost to yair so Bjj lost to karate, he lost to Denis siver so Bjj lost to kickboxing/taekwondo. So Bjj hasn't got a good record......no of course not that's stupid it's the fighter that matters. All Mma Fighters train in everything because it's Mma. I honestly can't believe all this nonsense still exists to me it just shows pure ignorance. Bjj has the potential to beat any style and any style has the potential to beat Bjj it all depends on the fighter using it. I'm not pro or anti Bjj. I train Bjj but I also see its weaknesses I'm just stating facts

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah next generation looks great here doesn't it (sarcasm)

Yes it does. One thing the new wave of BJJ fighters have in common is that they essentially remove one aspect of their opponent's game (grappling) to the point where their opponent has to keep the fight standing or they lose. That is a sizable disadvantage to the non-BJJ fighter, and part of the reason the ex-BJJ sport champs are finding success in MMA.

Maynard can ***** and moan all he wants, but he deserved to lose that fight (listen to the commentators). Hall dominated him on multiple levels mentally and physically.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes it does. One thing the new wave of BJJ fighters have in common is that they essentially remove one aspect of their opponent's game (grappling) to the point where their opponent has to keep the fight standing or they lose. That is a sizable disadvantage to the non-BJJ fighter, and part of the reason the ex-BJJ sport champs are finding success in MMA.

Maynard can ***** and moan all he wants, but he deserved to lose that fight (listen to the commentators). Hall dominated him on multiple levels mentally and physically.
Lol it is very funny how extremely biased you are towards Bjj it makes you sound a bit silly at times if I'm honest

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lol it is very funny how extremely biased you are towards Bjj it makes you sound a bit silly at times if I'm honest

Where's the extreme bias in that post? I'm merely pointing out the facts.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you sure? It appears that that one little comment sent you off the deep end and into a nonsensical rant.

Already explained in my earlier posts. Please refer back to those posts since you seem utterly confused.

The only thing utterly asinine and comical is you trying to make an argument that doesn't exist. A prime example is your quote below:
I wish I could post a video of me laughing while typing right now. But if you want to believe I'm butt-hurt over here, feel free. If that helps you sleep at night, I'll go along with it.

If your earlier post explains how a BJJ guy beating a BJJ guy has any sort of relevance of any kind, I have one question for you:

You you retarded?

Let me put this in such a simple manner that you could understand...

Is Hall a BJJ guy? Yes.
Is Penn a BJJ guy? Yes.
So you say "That said, impressive set-up by Hall, and another win for BJJ in MMA." You're announcing a BJJ win in an MMA fight that was BJJ vs BJJ.

That's just as dumb as me saying "I told you BJJ sucks. BJ Penn got beat!" And you'd say "Hey idiot, the guy who beat him - Hall - is a BJJ guy!"

I've seen some hardcore fanboy $hit before, but you sir, you took it unknown levels with that. You just can't fix stupid.

I'm sure you'll have some stupid "if you can't see it in my previous post, you're stupid" come-back. Right.

So please come down to my stupid level and spell it out for me rather than making me read and interpret previous posts...

How is a BJJ guy beating another BJJ guy in an MMA match relevant enough to warrant the "...another win for BJJ in MMA" comment?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, let's prove BJJ is so great and wins all the time, even when it's BJJ vs BJJ.

I'll prove BJJ sucks - Penn just got beat. And he's a BJJ guy :)

(So what if a BJJ guy beat him. Hopefully people won't catch that and expose my fanboyness)

How stupid did this thread get? I really need to find a better way to waste my time. I just can't stop laughing at it all.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wish I could post a video of me laughing while typing right now. But if you want to believe I'm butt-hurt over here, feel free. If that helps you sleep at night, I'll go along with it.

If your earlier post explains how a BJJ guy beating a BJJ guy has any sort of relevance of any kind, I have one question for you:

You you retarded?

Is Hall a BJJ guy? Yes.
Is Penn a BJJ guy? Yes.
So you say "That said, impressive set-up by Hall, and another win for BJJ in MMA." You're announcing a BJJ win in an MMA fight that was BJJ vs BJJ.

That's just as dumb as me saying "I told you BJJ sucks. BJ Penn got beat!" And you'd say "Hey idiot, the guy who beat him - Hall - is a BJJ guy!"

I've seen some hardcore fanboy $hit before, but you sir, you took it unknown levels with that. You just can't fix stupid.

I'm sure you'll have some stupid "if you can't see it in my previous post, you're stupid" come-back. Right.

So please come down to my stupid level and spell it out for me rather than making me read and interpret previous posts...

How is a BJJ guy beating another BJJ guy in an MMA match relevant enough to warrant the "...another win for BJJ in MMA" comment?
It's funny because Dana White even said after the fight that he set this one up because they were both high level jiu jitsu guys and it would be a good submission match so even fat boy white who has 0 martial arts training understands that fact

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

You you retarded?

You might want to edit that....

Is Hall a BJJ guy? Yes.
Is Penn a BJJ guy? Yes.

Again you're pinning an argument on me that I never made. My point is that Hall is on a winning streak like all of the BJJ fighters I mentioned. The fact that Bj Penn is also Bjj is inconsequential to that point. Additionally it could be argued that Penn is old school and Hall (like the others I mentioned) represent the new school.

If you seriously cant tell the difference between what Ryan Hall is doing and what Bj Penn has been doing, there's really no point in continuing this conversation.

All you have to do is read my posts in this thread. Don't react, just read.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, let's prove BJJ is so great and wins all the time, even when it's BJJ vs BJJ.

I'll prove BJJ sucks - Penn just got beat. And he's a BJJ guy :)

(So what if a BJJ guy beat him. Hopefully people won't catch that and expose my fanboyness)

How stupid did this thread get? I really need to find a better way to waste my time. I just can't stop laughing at it all.

It got stupid when you somehow interpreted my post as me saying that "BJJ wins all the time" or "BJJ is the greatest". I merely said that Hall's win is a win for BJJ in MMA because it raises the profile of the art in MMA, and gives current elite BJJ athletes (like Gordon Ryan)a blueprint for how to succeed in MMA.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep this whole style v style in Mma is stupid....BJ has lost 6 fights in a row now with one draw. He drew with Fitch so Bjj couldn't win against wrestling. He lost to Diaz in basically a boxing match so Bjj lost against boxing, he lost to Frankie Edgar so Bjj lost to wrestling, he lost to yair so Bjj lost to karate, he lost to Denis siver so Bjj lost to kickboxing/taekwondo. So Bjj hasn't got a good record......no of course not that's stupid it's the fighter that matters. All Mma Fighters train in everything because it's Mma. I honestly can't believe all this nonsense still exists to me it just shows pure ignorance. Bjj has the potential to beat any style and any style has the potential to beat Bjj it all depends on the fighter using it. I'm not pro or anti Bjj. I train Bjj but I also see its weaknesses I'm just stating facts

Not really. People still train the individual styles.

And they do have an effect on the outcome.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ya, bj has been left behind by the game. But BJ is not even 40.

Chuck is over 50. It's not the same.