BJ Penn: The Closed Guard

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Anyone picked this up yet? I did yesterday and so far, I think it's an excellent resource. Many of the techniques are familiar to me, but there are several I hadn't learned, and of course, many details.

I like the way it's organized, starting with drills, then moving through types of techniques, such as armbars or shoulder locks. The photography is clear and the writing pretty well done.

Overall, I'm happy I got it.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Steve,

I will have to take a look at it and knowing me I will pick up a copy. (I am a sucker from martial arts books :)) However, having his last book like you I found very little info that I did not already know. Still I will admit it was laid out really well and if you were just starting out or had only been training for awhile it certainly would be a great asset!
icon6.gif
Thanks for the review!
icon14.gif

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up and review. I'll keep an eye out for it.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There are some good set ups, particularly for triangles and armbars.

It also looks like this is the beginnings of a series by BJ Penn. Looks like Open Guard is next, to be followed by Butterfly/Half Guard, Passing Full Guard, Passing Butterfly/Half, Countering the Pass and Sub Defense, Side Control/North South, Back/Turtle and then Mount. Pretty ambitious.

Latest Discussions